Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Ken Griffey Jr. has returned to Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
From an historical standpoint, I think it's great.
However, this club will be lucky to win 70 games and I don't see them getting seriously better until 2011, by then, Griffey will most likely retire.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I think this will be his last season.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I'm well aware that it takes staying healthy and playing every day to rack up the really big numbers over the course of an entire career. However, Ken Griffey has an astounding number of career Home Runs even though he has been frequently injured. Over a 20 year career he has come to bat only slightly more than 8900 times which calculates to hitting a home run every 14.91 times at bat. In and of itself it is not that asounding.

Let's imagine for a moment how many home runs he might have accrued IF he would have stayed healthy during his entire career thus far. Let's say that an every day player comes to bat around 600 times per season. To allow for a bit of rest, let's just use 90% of 600 ABs and say that an full time player comes to bat 540 times per season. Over Griffeys 20 year career that would give him 10800 at bats. Assumming that he would have hit home runs at his current pace of 14.91 per home run, he would have 724 home runs!

IMO, he is one of the most under rated super stars to ever play the game.
Not that he wasn't already a 1st ballot HOF player....but the steroid mess during his era (and him being one of the clean ones) had to bolster him even further.

I wonder how many guys out there that didn't juice in this era will not get into the hall because they don't have the monster numbers etc. Anyone in particular come to mind? What about someone like Frank Thomas when you consider his numbers amongst the field of asterisks.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Lancet71 wrote:
You can NEVER say what if in baseball because injuries are always part of the game.
I disagree! I already did say it, and so did you in your example above. LOL!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not that he wasn't already a 1st ballot HOF player....but the steroid mess during his era (and him being one of the clean ones) had to bolster him even further.

I wonder how many guys out there that didn't juice in this era will not get into the hall because they don't have the monster numbers etc. Anyone in particular come to mind? What about someone like Frank Thomas when you consider his numbers amongst the field of asterisks.
Considering his breakdown I would suspect K.G.Jr. as well.The ones that stick out the most to me are Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez who had DRASTIC change in stats all of a sudden.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Considering his breakdown I would suspect K.G.Jr. as well.The ones that stick out the most to me are Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez who had DRASTIC change in stats all of a sudden.
Good points.
Some are grey, some are fairly obvious, some are just flat-out redhanded.
I don't envy some of the HOF voters over the next 30-40 years.

I also wonder who else failed a test that will come to light over the next decade.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good points.
Some are grey, some are fairly obvious, some are just flat-out redhanded.
I don't envy some of the HOF voters over the next 30-40 years.

I also wonder who else failed a test that will come to light over the next decade.
The reason I think we need to see those over 103 names is to know who was using to actually make it easier to vote down the road.You can have a guy like Jeter who might be in question because he played within the time frame even though we all think he was clean. A whole group should not be penalized because of a small percentage.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Ken Griffey Jr. has returned to Seattle.

Wonder how many games better the Mariners can actually become with Griffey at DH?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Wonder how many games better the Mariners can actually become with Griffey at DH?
The funny thing about the Mariners is that if he's healthy Griffey will definitely help but they took advantage of free agency this year with alot of 1 year contracts with desperate guys afraid of not having a team and minor league contracts,and non roster invitees.They really could surprise some teams this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball