Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,300,955 times

Advertisements

Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan, John Sterling, Suzyn Waldman are in their own league as far as bad goes. Homers are homers, there's no getting around that, but come on, Suzyn, a guy announcing he'll pitch for half a season (and not really very well, I might add) is NOT among the most dramatic things that's ever happened at Yankee Stadium. Full disclosure...I'm a Sox fan, and can only catch the Sox/Yankee games locally on YES or the radio. I will take Michael Kay and crew any day of the week over Sterling/Waldman.

LA residents, DirecTV subscribers, and MLB audio/TV subscribers have the enviable privelidge of getting to hear the greatest voice in sports, Vin Scully, call a baseball game all season long. Jon Miller is the heir apparent with the Giants, and even greater when teamed with a hack like Morgan. Uecker is a treat. It's hard to get past Gary Thorne calling baseball, since I associate him much more with hockey, but he's very good as well. Al Leiter is suprisingly good. Sorry, Mr. Krabbs, Kalas is past his prime. The new guys (Scott Graham is gone, and I forget who replaced him) all do a fine job. Harry just isn't what he used to be.

I'm sure there are other great announcers, as well as ones who need to have their mouths taped shut, but these are the ones that come to mind for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,243,065 times
Bob Ucker. The most annoying and obnoxious of all time IMO. Also, Steve Stone of WGN (chicago cubs) isn't so much annoying but he has the personality of a rock and I can't see how he ever got on tv!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,976,915 times
I can't stand Joe Morgan. He is too pompous for me. McCarver and Buck are extremely annoying as well.

My favorites - yes, I'm probably biased - are Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy for the Red Sox. Orsillo called a few of the divisional round games on TBS in last year's play-offs. They have great chemistry. As much as I dislike the Yankees, I think Michael Kay is good as well.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,300,955 times
Yeah, that reminded me, Ken Macha on Monday's game was mind numbingly bad.

Looking forward to Remy's ongoing "fued" with Raymond this weekend.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 AM

582 posts, read 2,032,658 times
joe morgan is by far the worst announcer ever.For a guy that has played baseball his analysis of the game is horrendous.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM

41,748 posts, read 74,742,297 times
Can't understand a word Joe Morgan is saying. And when he and Jon Miller get on a roll on ESPN, they talk about everything but the game in front of them. That drives me up the wall to the point where I won't watch a game on ESPN.

Can't stand the way Harry Kalas whiiiiiiines when calling a game. Clever schtick is it not.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:00 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,976,915 times
Gotta love Jerry Remy...

YouTube - Jerry Remy Air Guitar

Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 AM

8,773 posts, read 10,181,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Tom Hamilton, radio voice of the Cleveland Indians.
He makes an infield popup sound like the second coming.
It gets old.
Save it for the times something really spectacular happens.
That reminds me of a guy who did play-by-play for the Piratesin the 90's, someone will make a routine catch, he'll scream likes its the most incredible thing ever.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,929,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
joe morgan is by far the worst announcer ever.For a guy that has played baseball his analysis of the game is horrendous.
yeah, i agree. he stumbles upon his words too much, and half the things he says make no sense at all, and he seems to arrogant, like when an announcer tells him that he was a great player, he'll just say "yeah" instead of thank you or something like that.

here is a pretty funny website that pokes fun at Joe Morgan:

FIRE JOE MORGAN

Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,428,918 times
As far as "national" broadcasters go, I cannot stand Joe Morgan. Every time I listen to him I just cringe. I swear, the guy sounds like he's the only player ever inducted into the Hall of Fame based on the way he sounds. I'm losing my mind at the current moment, but who is the older gentleman that he usually broadcasts alongside?? I actually feel bad for that guy at times. He can't get a word in edge wise without good ol' Joe correcting him on things that don't really even need to be corrected.

As far as "team" broadcasters go... The guys from the Texas Ranger make me want to vomit. Same with the White Sox announcers. I'm a Yankees fan but I still like the Red Sox announcers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball