U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,451,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, even though it's almost always open season on Tim McCarver, the only thing I don't like about him is the fact that he doesn't know when to stop talking. Put that aside, and his baseball knowledge makes most other announcers look silly by comparison. (I also tend to respect the minority of announcers who aren't homers. The Mets got rid of McCarver for exactly that reason).

While most announcers hold up numbers and statistics like some sort of holy grail, McCarver was the only one I've ever heard to point out that a pitcher's ERA is not the best way to judge him. He said that what you should really go by is the strikeout-to-walk ratio (which should be at least 2 to 1 for a good pitcher).
I do agree about the ERA.A guy could give up endless hits but as long as they don't score,the ERA stays down.I use the formula that less hits then innings pitched,and if a guy has more strikeouts then hits and BB combined,then he's an animal.Rock on Mariano!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 AM

4,579 posts, read 4,746,166 times
Ray Fosse

Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,175,183 times
The guy that does Yankee games is a total MORON. You all have heard this good ball. With his " an A-bomb from Arod...or his oooooh Yankees wiiiiiin..... I would rather listen to fingers on a chalk board.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 4,455,299 times
I can't stand Suzyn Waldman. I'm not crazy about McCarver, but given a choice to sit through a game of either one, I'd take McCarver over Waldman any day.

I have nothing against women being broadcasters, but she's terrible.

"Oh my goodness gracious!"

Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 PM

1,089 posts, read 831,556 times
I just thank God we have Vin Scully to announce Dodger games.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM

11,234 posts, read 7,313,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
oh yeah, i LOVE the homerun call from Michael Kay, i like how he puts emphasis on the players' name when they hit a homerun!

also, Duane Kuiper for the Giants has a cool home run call also "IT'S HIT HIGH, IT'S HIT DEEEEEEEEEP, IT IS.........OUTTA HERE!!!!
Kuiper had a rough start as an announcer and took several years to develop into a decent one. To his credit he has continued to develop and I would now rate him very good.

As for his homerun call, he created that because he was, and still is, a god awful judge of flyball distance. Less so than in his early years, but still frequently heard is "He hits it high....HE HITS IT DEEP.....and its caught in front of the warning track by Smith."

The compartmentalized call with the pauses in between, provides Kuiper with some flexibility...and an escape clause at the end for when he has overestimated the blow.

The Bay Area was blessed with Hank Greenwald from '79 through '86, and then again '89-'96. I loved his dry with and low key approach, Hank was exactly the sort of person I would want as my seatmate at a ballgame.

We've also had to endure three years of the inept and dull Ron Fairly, and a long tenure with the A's by Monte Moore who has to rank as among the worst homer announcers of all time. The A's could do no wrong when Monte was behind the mike. Moore would become enraged when an umpire's close call went against Oakland. If a bean ball war was unfolding in the game, it was all Monte could do to restrain himself from rushing down to the field to avenge the insults. When fans on the road would begin "Steroids! Steroids!" chants during Canseco at bats, Moore would go into his insufferable moral lecture mode and condemn their behavior, equating it with the collapse of western civilization. Moore was madly in love with Mark McGwire whom he always called "The Big Guy"...as in..."McGwire swings...and there's a TREMENDOUS shot in the air...it's gonna be....it looks like....okay, Gruber has settled under the ball on the outfield grass and puts it away.....and that was lucky for Toronto because The Big Guy was really tearing around the bases."

Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 PM

6,183 posts, read 2,401,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
The guy that does Yankee games is a total MORON. You all have heard this good ball. With his " an A-bomb from Arod...or his oooooh Yankees wiiiiiin..... I would rather listen to fingers on a chalk board.
Michael Kay is the man I think you speak of. And yes, he is annoying. "See ya", he's a pompus homer.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM

626 posts, read 934,776 times
Joe Morgan, and it's not even close. In a recent Braves broadcast on ESPN, we were treated to such gems as, "if you can keep it close late into the game vs (insert pitcher), you help your chances," and "to set up the perfect double play, you want the middle infielder to make the play near 2nd base." Thank you for the clarity, Joe, now continue loving the sound of your voice.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM

15 posts, read 13,780 times
Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone for the white sox drive me crazy

Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 AM

11,234 posts, read 7,313,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Joe Morgan, and it's not even close. In a recent Braves broadcast on ESPN, we were treated to such gems as, "if you can keep it close late into the game vs (insert pitcher), you help your chances," and "to set up the perfect double play, you want the middle infielder to make the play near 2nd base." Thank you for the clarity, Joe, now continue loving the sound of your voice.
Among the problems associated with Joe Morgan was that he turned out to be a tremendous disappointment to advocates of modern methods of analysis. Morgan had been the sabermetric dream as a player....speed, power and plate discipline, generating enormous value beyond what was evident from his scoreboard stats. (average, homers and rbi.) He also played smart. I had the chance to see him often during his two years with the Giants and final year with the A's. One could not help but notice Morgan turning up in unexpected places to back up a throw or police an otherwise unguarded base, the man had great instincts and concentration. I attended opening day for the A's the year that they had Morgan and he won that game for Oakland with a bit of very nifty baserunning in extra innings. He broke up a double play which would have ended the inning in which the A's scored the winning run, by stopping in the basepaths and forcing the opposition secondbaseman to chase him to make the tag. Not the sort of thing which is evident in the boxscore, but Morgan was always making these sorts of small but vital contributions.

Further, Morgan had been smart as a businessman as well, was always articulate with the media, clearly this was a bright man.

Thus, expectations of high quality as an announcer were raised, expectations which Morgan has failed to gratify. He worked harder at it and was better at it, his first few years. Then he got lazy and has been phoning in his performance ever since. Morgan has decided to simply be comfortable with recycling the same old cliches, the same old conventional wisdom, the same sorts of vaccuous comments which the old school championed. He doesn't appear to be listening very carefully when Miller addresses questions toward him or makes a point seeking Morgan's response.

He's been coasting, taking the money and providing the minimal effort.

Morgan isn't a stupid man at all, he just isn't the hardest working man in sports announcing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball