Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I haven't noticed if he does it on TV, but I always liked Kay's description of the team's uniforms. It was a nice little touch that went a long way in "painting the picture" on the radio.
Yes, I remembered that.

I also remember Kay referring to Don Mattingly as "Donald Arthur Mattingly" at least once per game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Constantino Martinez got to be a bit much, though.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I'm not familiar w/ Waltz' and Hutton's commentating.

I remember listening to Kay and John Sterling on WABC 770 AM radio. Kay's "It is high, it is far, it is gone! C'ya!" And Sterling's "Yankees win, THE YANKEES WIN!!!!" I miss those days (both the commentating and the Yankees' winning ).

Maybe not annoying, but some really boring announcers were the Braves announcers on TBS back in the 1990s. I haven't watched a lot of Braves games lately, but I remember falling asleep listening to their commentating as if a golf game was going on.
trust me, the guys for the braves are STILL boring!!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, if we're talking about the Pirates and we want to bring up dead people, there's always Bob Prince, the ultimate homer. The man was annoying beyond belief.
the current guys for the Pirates are pretty big homers also, i have MLB extra innings for direct TV, so i was watching a marlins game against the pirates, and Mike Jacobs hit a rocket to deep right and the dude said "OH NO!" "OH NO!" i was just cracking up because he sounded so dumb!!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar w/ Waltz' and Hutton's commentating.

I remember listening to Kay and John Sterling on WABC 770 AM radio. Kay's "It is high, it is far, it is gone! C'ya!" And Sterling's "Yankees win, THE YANKEES WIN!!!!" I miss those days (both the commentating and the Yankees' winning ).

Maybe not annoying, but some really boring announcers were the Braves announcers on TBS back in the 1990s. I haven't watched a lot of Braves games lately, but I remember falling asleep listening to their commentating as if a golf game was going on.
oh yeah, i LOVE the homerun call from Michael Kay, i like how he puts emphasis on the players' name when they hit a homerun!

also, Duane Kuiper for the Giants has a cool home run call also "IT'S HIT HIGH, IT'S HIT DEEEEEEEEEP, IT IS.........OUTTA HERE!!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Constantino Martinez got to be a bit much, though.
I'll give you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
oh yeah, i LOVE the homerun call from Michael Kay, i like how he puts emphasis on the players' name when they hit a homerun!

also, Duane Kuiper for the Giants has a cool home run call also "IT'S HIT HIGH, IT'S HIT DEEEEEEEEEP, IT IS.........OUTTA HERE!!!!
Another good Kay HR call was when Bernie Williams hit one, he'd yell "Burn baby burn!"

Back in the 1980s, I remember Phil Rizzuto telling HR hitters "This Bud's for you!"

I haven't heard Duane Kuiper's announcing HR calls.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I'll give you that.

Another good Kay HR call was when Bernie Williams hit one, he'd yell "Burn baby burn!"

Back in the 1980s, I remember Phil Rizzuto telling HR hitters "This Bud's for you!"

I haven't heard Duane Kuiper's announcing HR calls.
to hear Duane Kuiper' HR calls, you can go to mlb.com and got to the giants homepage, and go to the video's archive and look up any random HR the Giants hit at home.

here's a good one.

The Official Site of The San Francisco Giants: Video: Giants Top Plays Archive

Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 AM

you have to make sure you have flash player, though.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
to hear Duane Kuiper' HR calls, you can go to mlb.com and got to the giants homepage, and go to the video's archive and look up any random HR the Giants hit at home.

here's a good one.

The Official Site of The San Francisco Giants: Video: Giants Top Plays Archive
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out sometime this week.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:

Boy, what an ignorant statement. The TBS/WSB Braves announcers in the 90's were Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren, Joe Simpson and Don Sutton. They were the most knowledgeable, well read and wittiest announcers I have ever listened to, and I've been a devoted baseball fan for 35 years. They were a major part of the Braves experience in the 90's, and I always looked forward to tuning in to those guys to hear some real baseball talk after being slathered in the smelly crap that comprised the majority of the other announcers in the league.

Boring? It's BASEBALL for crissakes! What were they supposed to do, set off fireworks in the booth to keep you awake? Personally, the thing that keeps me awake is listening to people that know what the hell they're talking about, which this group undeniably did. You're obviously one of these people that interprets an incoherent, screaming fool of fools, or a pampered network pretty boy as what exciting baseball is all about.

As all big corporations eventually do, TBS has destroyed the gem they had in the past few years, but I will never forget those glory days of the 90's. Best baseball broadcasters ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball