Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 11:41 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times

Advertisements

This year we'll see the "ghost runners" in extra innings again. I don't think it's a bad idea to try to force an outcome, but I don't like that one. They could at least start with a runner on first for an inning, then move to a runner on second.

But I have a different idea: At the end of the ninth inning, each team must pull one position player from the game. If no one scores, then another player is pulled after the tenth inning.

This would force an outcome in two ways, while still encouraging good baseball and rewarding the team with the best skills. Removing a weak batter from the lineup gives the team a better chance to score. Removing a player from the field increases the chances of hits and runs. In addition, it requires the remaining fielders to cover more ground and to be more versatile.

It would be exciting to watch the fielders show their skills. I also would prefer to see balls put in play, rather than the homer-or-strikeout approach that has been too prevalent in recent years.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 06:04 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
I also abhor ghost runners. Somewhat like your idea. I'd modify to 8 men in field 10th inning on, plus begin every at bat 1-1 10th inning on.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:58 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
No modifications. Baseball is baseball. Stop tinkering with things to appeal to people that won't watch anyways.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:52 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
That does sound like fun OP but it would never happen.

I happen to like the ghost runner at first base rule, with it you feel sides have close to a 50% chance of scoring that inning which can put fans on the edge of their seats. Extra innings games that go many, many innings are terrible for pitching staffs and fans.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:13 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
I would actually like an NHL point system. 3 points for a win, 1 point if tied after 9, 0 for a loss.

This likely avoids many ties in w-l to come, with tie-breakers used.

If 2 teams do tie for 1 spot, in a point system, most wins count as the winner. So a team who went 89-6-73 (89w, 6 ties after 9, 73k) wins vs a 88-9-74 team.

Each would have 273 points.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:22 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
No modifications. Baseball is baseball. Stop tinkering with things to appeal to people that won't watch anyways.
Exactly.
People who like this stuff won’t watch anyway unless baseball becomes something akin to professional wrestling or gladiators.
Just go back to the way it was. It was the best system in sports even if it took a while at times.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I would actually like an NHL point system. 3 points for a win, 1 point if tied after 9, 0 for a loss.

The NHL has gone to a 3 on 3 tiebreaker period, followed by a shootout. Discussing that with a hockey fan is what gave me my idea. The 3 on 3 is exciting, good hockey. (Shootouts, however, are almost as dumb as a home-run contest would be.)

Old 04-07-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Exactly.
People who like this stuff won’t watch anyway unless baseball becomes something akin to professional wrestling or gladiators.
Just go back to the way it was. It was the best system in sports even if it took a while at times.

That would be my first choice. Go back to . . . but which era? I'd say do away with the DH and stop with that, but a younger person might think "real" baseball includes the DH. What about challenges, the newer rules about catchers, wildcard teams, . . . ?

In the 1880s the fielders could get a runner out by throwing the ball at him. The number of balls required for a walk changed several times before settling at 4. I guess reading a little about that made me realize that the game will continue changing, and I can't make it remain the way it was when I fell in love with baseball.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:43 PM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
If they added the runner after the 10th inning OR just started the runner at first it wouldn't be so bad.

Me personally, I'd play it out as is until the 12th and then call it a draw like the KBO & NPL.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:58 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
That would be my first choice. Go back to . . . but which era? I'd say do away with the DH and stop with that, but a younger person might think "real" baseball includes the DH. What about challenges, the newer rules about catchers, wildcard teams, . . . ?

In the 1880s the fielders could get a runner out by throwing the ball at him. The number of balls required for a walk changed several times before settling at 4. I guess reading a little about that made me realize that the game will continue changing, and I can't make it remain the way it was when I fell in love with baseball.
I was just talking about the old extra innings rules.
I'm too young to really remember pre-DH. As an American League Royals fan, I'm more sympathetic to it.
Could go either way on that one.
Challenges, replays, etc. are all good as long as they're in your favor.
1985 might have turned out differently for my team, but hey, it wouldn't have been the final out anyway, and also the guy didn't end up scoring, so who knows...
Honestly, it's still just a game even with all the money involved. Replays and challenges add a different type of drama but also makes it more serious than it needs to be.
My team has also been on the plus side of the wildcard thing. But... not really a fan of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball