Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 04:40 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

2023 MLB Predictions:

By this C-D user, of course.

Okay, sports fans, you know what time of year it is. Baseball is back, and here goes with my picks for how things go this time around. It all begins with the orders of finish in each division.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

AL West: Houston (102-60), Seattle (96-66), Texas (85-77), Los Angeles A (73-89), Oakland (52-110)

AL Central: Minnesota (95-67), Cleveland (87-75), Chicago WS (82-80), Kansas City (77-85), Detroit (66-96)

AL East: Toronto (99-63), New York Y (98-64), Baltimore (93-69), Tampa Bay (81-81), Boston (74-88)

NATIONAL LEAGUE

NL West: San Diego (101-61), Los Angeles D (99-63), San Francisco (84-78), Arizona (68-94), Colorado (60-102)

NL Central: St Louis (92-70), Milwaukee (87-75), Chicago C (80-82), Pittsburgh (70-92), Cincinnati (61-101)

NL East: New York M (101-61), Atlanta (98-64), Philadelphia (95-67), Miami (69-93), Washington (58-104)

Notes: The only real races in the American League will be in the West and the East, with the latter sure to draw much attention from all kinds. Toronto is going to surprise more people than you think, and they'll make it a race with the Yankees for first, but don't overlook Baltimore. They've got a pipeline coming in that is going to make the rest of the league notice. In the meantime, the road to the AL Pennant still goes through Houston until someone else dethrones them.

Over in the National League, the only real threat St Louis has is Milwaukee. As it is, they will be the class of the Central again. San Diego will present the Dodgers a formidable challenge to the West division. In the East, it will be almost as intense as the AL East will be, with the Mets, Braves, and Phillies duking it out. Also, baseball's new rules are going to be interesting to watch all year long.

All-Star Game Winner: American

Wild-Card Entries: AL - Seattle, New York Y, Baltimore

NL - Atlanta, Philadelphia, Los Angeles D

AL Pennant Winner: Houston
NL Pennant Winner: New York M

WORLD CHAMPIONS: Houston Astros

So, it will be a battle of the 1962 NL expansion cousins. Man, have times changed! The Astros, of course, will have their own set of challenges, but then, so will all the other teams. This should be a fun year.

And there you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 08:28 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

NL East: New York M (101-61), Atlanta (98-64), Philadelphia (95-67), Miami (69-93), Washington (58-104)

Injuries will likely derail this. I think Philly can work around Rhys Hoskins.. But with Painter and Harper also being injured.. It's going to be tough.. And one more thing will likely derail it all. Perhaps a trade for Darin Ruf to bring him back to platoon at first. And then.. That old familiar refrain.. The bullpen. Hopefully improved.. But..

Mets are in a similar but not as bad boat.. Their issue is.. They've got 2 of the best starters in the game.. Who are at or nearly at 40. Scherzer and Verlander.. Do they make all their starts? Spend time on the DL? How much? They've already lost Diaz for the year.

I'd put the Braves as the favorite. Not only because New York is notorious for late season collapses.. But.. While they're probably not better overall.. They likely wind up being healthier overall.

Philly.. I love 'em.. They've still got a shot at the playoffs, but.. I think it's going to be tough for them.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Injuries will likely derail this. I think Philly can work around Rhys Hoskins.. But with Painter and Harper also being injured.. It's going to be tough.. And one more thing will likely derail it all. Perhaps a trade for Darin Ruf to bring him back to platoon at first. And then.. That old familiar refrain.. The bullpen. Hopefully improved.. But..

Mets are in a similar but not as bad boat.. Their issue is.. They've got 2 of the best starters in the game.. Who are at or nearly at 40. Scherzer and Verlander.. Do they make all their starts? Spend time on the DL? How much? They've already lost Diaz for the year.

I'd put the Braves as the favorite. Not only because New York is notorious for late season collapses.. But.. While they're probably not better overall.. They likely wind up being healthier overall.

Philly.. I love 'em.. They've still got a shot at the playoffs, but.. I think it's going to be tough for them.
Well, we can never rule out Atlanta. I've been saying for some time that they've been good and will continue to be good for a few years to come. If any team can prove me wrong, it's them. Predictions do have a funny way of playing out. We'll definitely have a lot to talk about as the year goes on.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:35 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
2023 predictions:

AL East:
1) Toronto (101-61)
2) Yankees (98-64
3) Tampa (89-73)
4) Baltimore (86-76)
5) Boston (78-84).
I know the metrics and the stats people love Tampa, but after a while they are going to peter out. They can't compete financially with the Yankees, and the Blue Jays who are behemoth's in the sport (you don't think of Toronto as a big spender but they are owned by a communications company, and the ONLY franchise who's fan base and network stretches over 3,500 miles, because it's the only sports franchise that has an entire country as a fan base). Berrios sucked for Toronto last year, and if his WBC game was any foray into how this season will go it's not good, but the Yankees are already thin on starters on the season hasn't even started yet. Baltimore will just get better as the kids get more experience and Boston....well I don't know what they are doing.

AL Central:
1) Minnesota (93-70)
2) Cleveland (91-72)
3) White Sox (83-79)
4) Kansas City (78-84
5) Detroit (75-87).
I'll give Minnesota the edge over Cleveland even though Cleveland has better pitching is because they lucked back in with Correa, and I think he has a great year offensively (35 home runs, 130+ RBI's) and pushes the Twins to a division title, but the big question is, can they win a playoff game this year?? Cleveland will probably get a wild card with 90 wins. This White Sox season can't possibly go as bad as last season's did, and KC & Detroit bring up the rear, but both are close....I think KC probably a year closer than Detroit is.

AL West:
1) Houston (103-59)
2) Seattle (90-73)
3) Texas (88-74)
4) Angels (79-83)
5) Oakland (60-102).
AL West still goes through Houston until someone dethrones them. And that very well could be the Mariners, but until that happens, stick with the Astros. I'm not buying the Angels hype, just like the Astros, until they actually make the postseason, you have to pick against them. They have 2 generational talents and don't have a single postseason appearance to show for it, and I think Texas finishes in front of them this year. A's will be one of baseball's worst teams.

NL West:
1) San Diego (106-56)
2) Dodgers (100-62)
3) D'Backs (88-74)
4) Giants (82-80)
5) Rockies (67-95).
The Dodgers are vulnerable and there for the picking. Meanwhile the Padres, they get a whole season out of Juan Soto, they get Boegarts to sign there, Snell should have a better year. Only thing concerning for the Pads is Musgrove's broken toe, but assuming he doesn't miss much of the season they will be fine, and looks to be a big season for the Friar faithful who picked up season tickets in droves! The D'Backs are the surprise team for me. They played really well the last couple months of 2022, Zac Gallen is an ace, and if not for Alcantara is probably the Cy Young winner last year, and the kid they just inked the extension looks like a pretty good talent as well. It may not be a playoff team, but they will give teams fits and be in the running for most, if not all, of the season. Giants will be a good, but not great team, and the Rockies well maybe Freeland & Marquez can have bounce back years.

NL Central:
1) Cardinals (96-66)
2) Brewers (81-81)
3) Cubs (78-84)
4) Pirates (70-92).
5) Cincinnati (66-96)
Cardinals are clearly the best team in this division. They'll cruise to the division by mid May. Brewers have subtracted more than they added, but I think they'll hold off the Cubs for second unless they go on a fire sale in July. I'll take the Pirates over Cinci for 4th.

NL East:
1) Braves (101-61
2) Mets (97-65)
3) Phillies (88-74)
4) Marlins (69-93)
5) Nats (61-101).
I'll take the Braves over the Mets in the division once again with Diaz's injury. Phillies even with the Hoskins injury should still be OK because the rest of the NL after the Phillies just looks bad. Marlins & Nats will compete for the basement. The Marlins starting pitching will win out for the Fish, but the Nats have the better prospects of the two ready to join the team with Brady House, Jackson Rutledge & Robert Hassell among others waiting to come up, and the 2 main pieces of the Soto trade at the current team: Mackenzie Gore & C.J. Abrams for a whole season.

AL Bye's: Toronto, Astros
NL Bye's: Padres, Braves

AL Wildcard: Seattle over Minnesota in 2 games. This will be a fun series. I think Seattle has the better depth and will sweep 2 games in Minnesota adding another chapter to the Twins postseason failures.
Cleveland over Yankees in 3 games. It will be 14 years and counting since a Yankees parade down the Canyon of Heroes as Cleveland's pitching shuts down the Yankees offense in October.
NL Wildcard: Cards over D'Backs in 2 games. Arizona wins the tiebreaker over the Phillies, so they get the Cardinals as the 6 seed. Cardinals last postseason didn't do much of anything: they scored 2 runs in 18 runnings, but if Helsey doesn't blow the game in the 9th inning of game 1 they would have played a 3rd game that series, but whether they would have won it or not we'll never know. Arenado & Goldy will perform better this time around after both playing for the US in the WBC.
Dodgers over Mets in 3 games. This will be a ratings bonanza for ABC/ESPN. Dodgers would have home field advantage, so I'll give them the edge in this even matchup.

ALDS:
Toronto over Seattle in 5 games. The best atmosphere at any playoff games this year could be T-Mobile Park for a potential games 3 or 4. You saw how energetic T-Mobile Park was for game of the ALDS last year?? Multiply that by 7500 to add in all the Blue Jays fan coming down from BC & Western Canada.
Houston over Cleveland in 3 games. Cleveland won't get as lucky against an Astros team that can hit the ball all over the ballpark.
NLDS:
Padres over Dodgers in 4 games. Can the Dodgers do what the Padres did last year, beat the Dodgers in the NLDS as a lower seed?? I don't think so, the Dodgers will be out for blood after being a perennial punching bag to the Dodgers for the last number of years.
Braves over Cardinals in 5 games. This will be a close series, but the Braves, overall, will be the better team, and it would almost be fitting to see Wainwright end his career in his home state of Georgia.

ALCS:
Toronto over Houston in 6. The Blue Jays have been building to this point for a while now. Gausman, Manoah & an improved second half Berrios knock out the Astros to guarantee for the 23rd straight season there will not be a repeat champion.
Padres over Braves in 5 games. Padres will be no match for the Braves.

World Series:
San Diego over Toronto in 6. Gausman & Manoah vs. Machado, Boegarts & Soto. Musgrove & Darvish vs. Vladdy, Kirk & Chapman. An entire country vs. one of the smallest baseball media markets, but this seems like a coronation for the Padres. They had a chance to make the series last year, but mucked it up in the NLCS. They'll finish the job this time around.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:15 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
What will be interesting will be the new scheduling format baseball's put together for the year. We'll be playing everybody else now, with fewer intra-division games. This could have an effect on final win totals at the very end.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:22 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Division Winners

TB
CLE
HOU

NYM
STL
SD

Surpirse wildcarders - BAL, TX
Surpise playoff misses - TOR, ATL

Old 03-30-2023, 09:55 AM

381 posts, read 169,941 times
Baltimore at Boston is the MLB.tv FREE game of the day.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:28 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
And.. There goes Verlander.

Doesn't sound like an extended time on the DL, but.. Doesn't bode well.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And.. There goes Verlander.

Doesn't sound like an extended time on the DL, but.. Doesn't bode well.
Ditto for Max Fried. His was a hamstring.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:05 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Much to my surprise, my Baltimore Orioles beat the Red Sox, 10-9, in Boston, on opening day. I hope it's not the high point of their season.

Meanwhile . . . with the new pitch clock, it was actually enjoyable to watch the Dodgers - Diamondbacks game from L.A. last night. The pace of the game is now such that I can sit and watch and not be bored out of my skull as I wrote about on here ten years ago in this posting. My wife has become a big Dodgers fan since one of her favorite TV personalities, Mary Hart, sits in the front just to the right side of home plate. So we tend to watch a lot of Dodgers home games. Mary Hart used to host the show Entertainment Tonight.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball