Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 11:18 AM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times

Advertisements

Tonight is the Home Run Derby; I might watch a bit of it but it's just too tedious for me to watch it all with all the hokey blathering the announcers use to hype up the event, not to mention all the long TV ad breaks (yuck).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 03:11 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thank you. As a long-suffering Orioles fan this year is a breath of fresh air. They have the 2nd best record in the AL East, just two games out of first behind Tampa Bay. The old saying is that a team has to play .600 ball to win the AL East, and the O's are at .602 today. Having stayed in the race so far it indicates they should make it to the playoffs.
The question will be if Baltimore can keep things together long term. They've had small runs in the past that fell apart very quickly. Late 90's and.. Was it 2013-2016 or so?

God knows how long they're going to be paying Chris Davis.. Actually, that's a good question.. And the answer is.. 42 million between 2023 and 2037..

That'll hurt, but.. Not horribly badly. It's 9 million until 2025, then 3.5 million from '26 to '32, then 1.4 million from '33 to '37.

Unless they fall apart.. I think Baltimore makes it.. Again this year, there's a decent chance that 4 of the 5 AL East teams are in the playoffs. New York is only 1 game back of Houston for the final spot and Boston is only 2 back.

Could you imagine.. And I don't think this is possible with rules changes, but Boston and NY tying for the final WC spot and having a play-in game? So, basically, all 5 teams make the playoffs, in a sense?

But.. Again, I don't think that's possible because there are no more play-in games, right? Or, one game playoffs.. Whichever way you want to look at it.

And, if we're calling out surprising teams.. Miami. Who saw that coming? They were expected to be better than the Nats and that's about it. I mean, they weren't expected to be horrid, but.. I don't think anyone expected them to be leading the WC at the break.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:46 PM

Today's WaPo has a cool graphic that lets you compare playing field boundaries between any two stadiums with an eye to comparing home run distances.

This link will get you inside the paywall: https://wapo.st/3rWIRha

When I compare ballparks between the Orioles and Yankees it's obvious that Yankee stadium favors batters for home runs.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:28 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
How was this call overturned? What did NY see? The explanation I heard during the live broadcast was that the replay officials said it’s illegal to push a runner off the bag, but that’s not reviewable. They only reviewed whether or not he was on the base when tagged.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/chi.../499458/?amp=1

This second article explains that the play was not called dead and therefore allowed for the review.
https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/...outputType=amp

What then would keep a pitcher from throwing back to second or over to first with a runner on and the fielder pushing the runner off to record a tag out?

Old 08-06-2023, 05:18 PM

Strange year, both the Yankees and Red Sox are fighting for last place in the AL East; they're usually duking it out for first place.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:02 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Strange year, both the Yankees and Red Sox are fighting for last place in the AL East; they're usually duking it out for first place.

And the Orioles ....barely over .500 last year, and lost 110 games two years ago.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:54 AM

At this point.. The regression of the surprising teams is in full force. You've got Pittsburgh who was shocking the first month and a half of the season, settled in at 11 games below .500.. Miami, who held on through the break now just 3 games over. Baltimore is still overperforming a bit, but I think most people expected them to be competing for a postseason spot this year, just.. I don't think many of us expected them to be in decent control of the AL East.

Atlanta will take the NL East easily and be the #1 seed. I think Chicago winds up winning the central and the Dodgers the West

That leaves us with the WC.. Philly and the Giants would be two.. Probably the #4 and #5 seed.. Leaving one spot open. Flip a coin between Miami, Cincy and Milwaukee.. I'd probably lean Milwaukee.. Though.. SD does have a shot here. They're only 3 games back of that last spot. I am surprised at that, but you can't count them out.

Oakland.. Here's my question, will they be officially eliminated from the playoffs by the end of August? I suppose they could pull off a 50 game winning streak right now to have a winning season..

over in the AL.. It seems much more settled.

Baltimore, Minnesota and.. I'm going to say Texas holds on in the West to take it. with Tampa, Toronto and Houston getting the WC spots.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:26 PM

Since the All-Star break the two hottest teams are the Chicago Cubs and Baltimore Orioles, both 16-7.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:08 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
Quote:
Since the All-Star break the two hottest teams are the Chicago Cubs and Baltimore Orioles, both 16-7.
Followed by the Twins at 14-8 DESPITE having a 5 game losing streak during this stint. Sad to say that I went down to Kansas city and saw 2 games. They ended up getting swept by the Royals. Not good since KC is the 2nd worse team in MLB. The Twins are a weird team. THEY can't decide whether they're good or mediocre.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:49 PM

Philly has the second best record (by percentage) in baseball since June 3rd at 36-19

The best record in that timeframe? Yep.. The Braves at 37-15

I doubt Philly pulls what they did last year in the playoffs, but.. I wouldn't have bet good money that they would have made it to the WS last year, either.

Kinda a unique situation for Philly and their fans. They were cheering Trea Turner who is having a pretty bad year this weekend.. And he responded going 4-12 with 2 doubles and a 3 run home run. Took out a billboard in Philly to say thanks to the fans.. That.. Just doesn't happen in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball