Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
The Cubs are pretty much cruising now. They're definitely the best team in the National League.

In other news, Chris Carpenter has a tricep strain. He could be out as few as two days if it's mild, but if it's severe it could be six months. I doubt it's that bad, but how crappy that he's just getting back into the groove, and he's already sidelined with an injury. Not cool.
Regarding Chicago's Miracle Train, they are right now, TNGuy. You can't argue with current results. Still, the curse is there. We are sitting at 100 years since their last championship. And we all wonder what it might be this time? A bird? A power failure? A dropped pop-up? A collision? A wild pitch? Another Lou Piniella pitching change that goes awry? Who knows what it might be this time? Maybe it won't happen at all. I'll still be waiting for it, though, like the rest of America. By the way, this year is the five-year anniversary of the Steve Bartman game. I remember that day as many of you did, and I didn't even watch the whole game, but I watched what did take place in that fateful inning when Moises Alou had that play supposedly made that was going to go foul, but was catchable. I don't have to tell you the rest. In my opinion, still a great moment. Not good for Cubbie fans, but for everybody else, we all got a great laugh.

Regarding Carpenter, it's a wait-and-see. You hate for anyone to go down like that. You always hope it's nothing terribly serious. Carlos Lee, on the other hand, is out for the year, and that is what you hope never happens to your favorite player, especially when he helps your team. That's taking a pitch to the hand. It can really take a toll on you.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Default The NL Player of the Week.....

......is none other than Carlos Lee of the Astros. He went 11-for-20 last week and was just tearing the ball up. That was all before he got hit in the hand by a pitch the other day that ended his season. Such unbelievable irony.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
Cubs 15 of 21 on road in Sept, Cubs don't stand a chance, GO BREW CREW!!!
Considering what the Cubs did on their last road trip and who they did it to, I wouldn't start waving the victory banner just yet.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Astros Update

You may have heard some rumors swirling around regarding Barry Bonds coming to Houston to play left field. That won't happen, folks, even with Carlos Lee gone for the season. GM Ed Wade said that they have no interest in signing him. In my opinion, Barry's just past his prime and isn't the player he was. Signing him would have been fine ten years ago, but not now.

So, no Barry in Houston.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
Yeah, the only scenario where I see Barry getting picked up is if an AL team is interested in him as a DH. He's a liability in the field and he's going to play a limited number of games, but he can still swing a bat.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Yeah, the only scenario where I see Barry getting picked up is if an AL team is interested in him as a DH. He's a liability in the field and he's going to play a limited number of games, but he can still swing a bat.
My thoughts exactly.

I see the Cards won tonight over the Fish. The Astros just took a 2-1 lead in the eighth inning over the Giants at this writing.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Pirates Update

Yes, a Pirates update. And it looks like much of the Pirates' infield will be making it back from the DL very soon.

Injured Pirates get closer to return | MLB.com: News

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Default More NL Central News

The best series going on -- certainly the most intriguing -- involves the Cardinals and the Marlins. Two teams who are in similar situations within their respective divisions, and both are trying to escape the clutches of third place. So far in the series, St Louis has a leg up.......

The Astros will not sign RHP Freddy Garcia to a minor league deal. Garcia has just signed with the Detroit Tigers and will report to their affiliate to continue his comeback........

Chicago's opener with Atlanta got rained out Tuesday. They'll be doing a double tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon at Turner Field with games scheduled for 12:10 and 6:10.........

The Milwaukee Brewers are hot again. They are currently riding a six-game winning streak as they travel to San Diego........

And the Reds will have to get by without two of their prime sluggers. First, Ken Griffey, Jr goes to the White Sox, and now Adam Dunn gets traded to the Diamondbacks for some minor-leaguers. They will really have a hard time scoring runs the rest of the year.........

That's it for now, everybody. Stay cool and grab a nice, tall, cold glass of.......

...iced tea!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM

295 posts, read 546,586 times
I still see the Cubs falling out of First Place and the Cards taking over the Wild Card from the scrubs. Bold prediction on Aug 13 2008,
I might be drinking

Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
I still see the Cubs falling out of First Place and the Cards taking over the Wild Card from the scrubs. Bold prediction on Aug 13 2008,
I might be drinking
I think you might be. Atleast you are in a good town for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball