U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Status: "Thanksgiving is just around the corner." (set 1 day ago)

36,597 posts, read 19,615,497 times

Advertisements

Guys, we shouldn't expect too many teams to do too well on the road, anyway, no matter how well they do the rest of the time. In a typical season, you'll have a scant few who do get over .500.

By the way, I haven't heard from Reds and Pirates fans. Let's hear from you guys, too, on your seasons.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM

36,393 posts, read 57,247,982 times
Poor Reds and Pirates... as usual, not a prayer.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Default A Blast From The Past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Poor Reds and Pirates... as usual, not a prayer.
Not right now, anyway, but we all remember the mighty Big Red Machine from back in the 70s. And, of course, the Pirates did some big doings back in 1979. That's......yikes! We didn't have a National League Central back then.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Yeah... we also didn't have the huge inflated payrolls back then either that make it very hard for small-market teams to compete. The perpetual competitiveness of the Cards shows that it's not impossible, but it's a damn sight harder now then it was back in the 70s. If the Cards ever do anything to alienate their insanely loyal fan base, the NL Central will pretty much be a toss-up between the Cubs and Astros in any given year.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:24 PM

Default The Standings - June 5

Here are the standings as of Thursday afternoon, June 5. (This is just in case y'all haven't picked up the paper lately. )

1. Cubs
2. Cards
3. Brewers
4. Astros
5. Reds
6. Pirates

The Reds and Pirates are tied for last on the basis of percentage. The Astros have still been struggling of late after their recent hot streak, but can't keep up. And those Cards continue their surprising season in DC and they even won today. The Flubs --- man, will you look at this? --- they're 26-8 at home this season so far. Not bad. And the team that's the hottest now?? That would be Milwaukee, folks. They've won six in a row going into today, as they completed a sweep of the D-backs.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM

587 posts, read 864,269 times
Quote:
If the Cards ever do anything to alienate their insanely loyal fan base, the NL Central will pretty much be a toss-up between the Cubs and Astros in any given year.
Oh, trust me - it'll never happen. I've gone to many games in seasons where the Cards haven't been very competitive (last year, for example), and I'm surprised every time to see a packed house at Busch (both old and new). If ownership somehow managed to let Pujols get away, I can see there being a major uproar, but I don't see that happening.

Sadly, Parisi will be taking the mound again for the Cards in their second game today. He was horrific his last time out, so he can only get better.

Also, Pujols, even with a questionable calf, pinch hit today and knocked his 15th home run of the year. He's incredible.

Anybody following the draft today?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
LOL, they didn't complete a four-game sweep "particularly well." That's brilliant. You remind me of a friend of mine I used to shoot pool with. He'd watch me make a bank shot all the way across the lawn and back, and then explain to me how I could have done it better.
Hey, don't put anything past me. When it comes to the Cubs, I'll search high and low for something to nitpick. In the end, like I said, they're having a great season, and nothing I say can take away from that. I just want the Cardinals to stay competitive in their rebuilding year. Anything they do this year bodes well for the future.

Quote:
And nobody is doing well on the road right now. So far, that's not a Cubs weakness that is going to hurt them.
Obviously they're doing okay even with the road struggles. That's definitely the truth. Don't they play a lot of road games this month?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Hey, don't put anything past me. When it comes to the Cubs, I'll search high and low for something to nitpick. In the end, like I said, they're having a great season, and nothing I say can take away from that. I just want the Cardinals to stay competitive in their rebuilding year. Anything they do this year bodes well for the future.

Obviously they're doing okay even with the road struggles. That's definitely the truth. Don't they play a lot of road games this month?
I hadn't really noticed, to tell you the truth. What I took more stock of is that they play 30-some non-division games in a row. IMO that may play as big a role as any factor during the season. They have a lot less direct control over their fate during that stretch, so if they can make the best of it and put some distance between themselves and the rest of the division (mostly, the Cardinals) during that stretch, I think they've pretty much got it made.

EDIT: yeah, I just took stock of their June schedule: 18 road games versus 9 home games. Three of those games are at the Joan though, so there will be plenty of their own fans (there always are, really) and no travel involved -- 9 games in a row in town.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM

If I ever see Parisi on the mound for the Cardinals again, I'll be shocked. He's already in a 7-0 hole, and he's only in the 4th inning. He's given up something like 15 runs in two starts. Absolutely terrible.

Between Parisi and Isringhausen, the Cardinals have basically given away like seven games.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
If I ever see Parisi on the mound for the Cardinals again, I'll be shocked. He's already in a 7-0 hole, and he's only in the 4th inning. He's given up something like 15 runs in two starts. Absolutely terrible.

Between Parisi and Isringhausen, the Cardinals have basically given away like seven games.
You guys want Jason Marquis back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball