Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:44 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I said I doubted that there was gambling on baseball involved. The FBI and IRS.. Wouldn't give a rats ass. The IRS because he lost money and the FBI would only care from the level of getting him as a cooperating witness if they went after his bookmaker.

Yeah.. Police get involved in theft. There was no violence with SBF or Bernie Madoff, either.. So, that is a completely ridiculous statement. Embezzlement is a crime.

The only way they don't get involved.. If the case isn't brought to them. And.. It seems so far. The case hasn't been brought to them. After Ohtani's legal team said they DID take it to them.

Based on what we know right now. The only people who seem to be lying are Ohtani's lawyers. Why would they lie?
what part of doesn't want to press charges don't you understand?

I've been a cop for over 15 years. How many calls like this do you think ive responded to in my career?

"hey policeman, this man borrowed or stole money from me and he didnt want to give it back?"

"do you want to press charges?"

"no!"

"see ya!"

also, are you seriously comparing Ponzi scheme (Bernie Madoff) to money dispute between two individuals (Ohtani and his interpreter)?

the only illegal activity law enforcement may or may not investigate here is alleged gambling because it's illegal.

Last edited by Du Ma; 04-09-2024 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 04:43 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
what part of doesn't want to press charges don't you understand?

I've been a cop for over 15 years. How many calls like this do you think ive responded to in my career?

"hey policeman, this man borrowed or stole money from me and he didnt want to give it back?"

"do you want to press charges?"

"no!"

"see ya!"

also, are you seriously comparing Ponzi scheme (Bernie Madoff) to money dispute between two individuals (Ohtani and his interpreter)?

the only illegal activity law enforcement may or may not investigate here is alleged gambling because it's illegal.

Yet his attorneys, speaking for him, say that they're pressing charges and have turned it over to law enforcement.

Which.. Seems to not be true.

if you've been a cop for 15 years.. You should recognize that when someone is lying about one thing, they are probably lying about other things.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...es-are-certain

While someone may choose to not press charges in your world.. The Feds have a different view of things. They don't need someone to press charges. They have a vast array of things, including conspiracy charges at their disposal.

If the interpreter transferred these funds without Ohtani's knowledge.. That's fraud. They'll bring Ohtani in for questioning on it. And.. If he isn't truthful, then he opens himself up for charges such as obstruction of justice or lying to investigators.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:37 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yet his attorneys, speaking for him, say that they're pressing charges and have turned it over to law enforcement.

Which.. Seems to not be true.

if you've been a cop for 15 years.. You should recognize that when someone is lying about one thing, they are probably lying about other things.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...es-are-certain

While someone may choose to not press charges in your world.. The Feds have a different view of things. They don't need someone to press charges. They have a vast array of things, including conspiracy charges at their disposal.

If the interpreter transferred these funds without Ohtani's knowledge.. That's fraud. They'll bring Ohtani in for questioning on it. And.. If he isn't truthful, then he opens himself up for charges such as obstruction of justice or lying to investigators.
Who doesn’t lie in their life? If someone lied about stealing a year ago, does that mean I can use his lie against him about the theft he committed today? The judge is going to rule that one out and throw that statement out of court faster than you can blink your eyes

Wow! The feds have different view of things? You are working for the local feds in Southern California?

Like i said, the only thing that law enforcement may get involved here is gambling because gambling is illegal here in Southern California where I’ve been working for 15 years.

MLB doesn’t give a crap about betting or gambling….unless Ohtani is betting on baseball because that’s a ban for life.

The money dispute between Ohtani and his interpreter is a civil issue….unless Ohtani decided to press charges or bring it to a civil court. Law enforcement and court system are not going to do anything if Ohtani is not pressing charges. No victim, no crime

Last edited by Du Ma; 04-09-2024 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-11-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Who doesn’t lie in their life? If someone lied about stealing a year ago, does that mean I can use his lie against him about the theft he committed today? The judge is going to rule that one out and throw that statement out of court faster than you can blink your eyes

Wow! The feds have different view of things? You are working for the local feds in Southern California?

Like i said, the only thing that law enforcement may get involved here is gambling because gambling is illegal here in Southern California where I’ve been working for 15 years.

MLB doesn’t give a crap about betting or gambling….unless Ohtani is betting on baseball because that’s a ban for life.

The money dispute between Ohtani and his interpreter is a civil issue….unless Ohtani decided to press charges or bring it to a civil court. Law enforcement and court system are not going to do anything if Ohtani is not pressing charges. No victim, no crime

https://www.tmz.com/2024/04/10/shohe...ara/#continued

Seems the feds have concluded that the last statements made were the ones that were true. Which means, most likely, that the interpreter will be facing bank/wire fraud charges.

I don't work for the feds. But pops was a US Attorney for 25 years and I've seen how the system works.. The only thing that threw me on this is that it was reported that the feds didn't have an open investigation. Generally, any statement that is given from the US Attorney is whether or not someone is the target of an investigation. Other agencies the only statement that they will give is that they refuse to comment. I can only assume that the wording in the article was from an author that maybe didn't understand how the feds respond to inquiries on criminal charges.

MLB gives every crap about gambling, at least on baseball. And they would likely give a crap if someone were facing charges for said gambling, whether it was on baseball or not. That would open them up to punishment via the personal conduct policy. If someone legit lost $5 million gambling on poker in Vegas. Honestly, bad look, but I can't see them issuing punishment.. Though I could see them 'requesting' that said person go to Gamblers Anonymous or similar.. Losing $5 million to an illegal bookie.. That's a real bad look and might invoke the PCP.. If they didn't give a crap, Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe would be in the HoF.

So.. Again.. No.. The feds don't need someone to press charges. You are completely and totally mistaken there. The only way to 'spin' that into being factual is that in the case of the feds, the United States of America are the ones bringing the charges. That's not an individual pressing charges. That's the DOJ bringing charges in all our names. All 330 million or whatever of us. They'll bring the charges, and if they need testimony from Ohtani, or any of his people.. They'll subpoena them. And, as mentioned before.. They have discretion on charges of lying to them. Which they have been MUCH less resistant to use in the past 10 years or so. It used to be that was a rather rare charge, but, not anymore, at least, not on high profile cases. Whether this would hit that level, I don't know, but I'd suspect it might.

The fact that charges are being brought, I can't imagine that they haven't already spoken with Ohtani about this. Smells like he talked to them voluntarily.. And, assuming everything lines up, which.. Feds don't bring cases they won't win. Last I remember, their conviction rate is something like 97%.. About the only person I know of that beat the feds, outside of Gotti a few times, was Vince McMahon.

Once you face federal charges, you're either pleading guilty or getting found guilty at trial 97% of the time. So, this interpreter.. If I recall, Bank/Wire fraud is a 20 year statute.. Based on sentencing guidelines (Which are no longer set in stone).. The interpreter is likely facing 24-48 months in federal prison. 33 months is probably where it'd land, but.. If he pleads guilty, since I presume he's not a citizen and will be deported after servicing his sentence.. I could see him getting as little as 2 years. If he goes to trial.. It could go up to 4 years. Feds REALLY use that carrot of knocking some time off for a guilty plea.. or, in their terms "Accepting Responsibility". As I recall, that knocked 3 points off the score for the guidelines.

Most likely, he'll go to a prison camp.. If you gotta got to prison, a federal prison camp is the place you'd want to go. They're.. Generally safe. Mostly full of low level drug folks, white collar criminals and people who are reaching the end of their sentences. It's still prison, but.. Where he goes, is up to a DIFFERENT arm of the DOJ.. which would be the BOP, Bureau of Prisons.

Anyway.. If the Feds have concluded that the last story was accurate and true.. I'm apt to believe them. Again, they don't bring half-assed charges. They've got him dead to rights if they've brought the charges. And, while they haven't YET.. If what's being reported by TMZ is true, and.. I'm generally apt to believe them as well, as they have excellent sources in the SoCal area.. I suspect those charges are legitimately forthcoming.

Why we haven't heard anything about him firing accountants yet.. That still surprises me. Because, if that guy managed to grab $4 million from him without them raising an alarm.. They deserve to be fired. Unless he authorized the interpreter access to the accounts.. But still.. $4 million?

Old 04-11-2024, 12:25 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
ESPN is reporting that there is audio recording of the interpreter pretending to be Ohtani and authorizing the bank transfers. Maybe Ohtani was trying to cover for his friend, or cover for his own poor judgment hoping the story would die there, but when gambling and bookies got involved, he had to cut his buddy loose and let the legal system take its course.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
ESPN is reporting that there is audio recording of the interpreter pretending to be Ohtani and authorizing the bank transfers. Maybe Ohtani was trying to cover for his friend, or cover for his own poor judgment hoping the story would die there, but when gambling and bookies got involved, he had to cut his buddy loose and let the legal system take its course.

Mm. That could open the interpreter up to Identity Theft charges as well.. Though.. Most likely, that's something that would be dismissed in a plea agreement. Someone like SBF, who fought the charges (Still astounds me that he thought he could talk his way out) they'll unload on them. You plead out.. They'll cut you a deal. Not a great deal.. But.. Better than what you'd get fighting them in court.

I don't see that they're going to go after this guy for a long prison sentence. But, they'll get time out of him and then kick him out of the country. again, assuming he's not a citizen, which I've seen no indication that he is.

I figure this will all get wrapped up pretty quickly. It seems, the interpreter has FINALLY figured out that the *** is up and he's sunk.

but, the way this story broke.. Anyone who wasn't sitting here going "Hey.. There's a whole lot of BS happening here and we need to find out what the facts are".. Feds bringing charges tells me.. They know the facts and apparently the LAST story told was the one that is true..

Ohtani had no idea and this was all the interpreter.

I stand by the statement that he needs new accountants, tho.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:41 PM

I was wrong. It's a 30 year statute.. so.. I'll raise my guess on sentencing, assuming a guilty plea.. To the 36-60 month range. With 46 being a nice middle of the road guess. Everything else remains the same.

And it's $16 million he stole, apparently

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...hara-stole-16m

oh.. And restitution, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball