Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 PM

574 posts, read 2,040,224 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe the Rays this year! They never even ended the season with a winning record and now they're in first place? I have to say I am a bit proud living two and a half hours away from Tampa (I feel like they should be my team for that reason), but I am kind of in shock. I just cannot believe they are ahead of my beloved Red Sox! Gosh, some players make more $$$ than the entire D-Rays team!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,189,143 times
Not really, it was about time they started to get good.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,933,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
yea, I agree. this year is the year where they finally met their potential, and I think it's great

one thing that does surprise me is that Dioner Navarro is hitting .316 and that Eric Hinske has 13 HR and a .526 slugging %.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 PM

243 posts, read 86,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I agree. The Rays before each year were always picked as a dark horse that can surprise people. Their pitching this year is amazing.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,217,213 times
I hope they continue having success, and hopefully win that division. It's time for someone else besides the Yankees & Red Sox to be winning that division, I'm sick of those two teams. It was nice seeing different teams coming out of the A.L. recently like the White Sox & Tigers.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM

52,601 posts, read 47,773,629 times
Default Could Be A Dogfight

It's most definitely a surprise year for the Rays, and a pleasant surprise at that. It's also a breath of fresh air for a division that badly needs one, particularly for fans sick and tired of the Yankees and those who can't wait for the Orioles to improve. We'll all be interested in the second half of the season and what it will bring. That's when we'll see the Red Sox and Rays slugging it out, and wouldn't it be something if the Rays do come out on top??

Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 PM

3,815 posts, read 6,406,937 times
I'm happy for them, but the Suncoasters down there need to start supporting that team. The players have to be sick of seeing 15,000 people show up to watch a first place club, with half of those people cheering for the visiting team. My philosophy has always been that you support your literal home team first and foremost. It's not just being a fan, it's being part of your community. Hopefully more people will come out as the season progresses, and especially once they move out of that awful tomb they play in.

It was probably not a good idea to put major league teams in Florida to begin with. Too many transplants to support a local team, as has been proven with the Rays and Marlins.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,673,749 times
Heck, I'm a Reds fan, and I enjoy the rise of the Rays! I've learned to love the RedSox over the years, but (at the risk of making a lot of their fans mad LOL) I absolutely detest the Yankees...I'm very much aware of their 26 titles, and their place in baseball history, but they get on my last nerve trying to buy a title each year---thus I will root fervently for any team that gives Hank 'I'm Just An Opinionated Pinhead Like My Annoying Daddy' Steinbrenner sleepless nights...thus---GO RAYS...GO REDSOX...GO METS...go anybody but the Yanks LOL

Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 PM

52,601 posts, read 47,773,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I'm happy for them, but the Suncoasters down there need to start supporting that team. The players have to be sick of seeing 15,000 people show up to watch a first place club, with half of those people cheering for the visiting team. My philosophy has always been that you support your literal home team first and foremost. It's not just being a fan, it's being part of your community. Hopefully more people will come out as the season progresses, and especially once they move out of that awful tomb they play in.

It was probably not a good idea to put major league teams in Florida to begin with. Too many transplants to support a local team, as has been proven with the Rays and Marlins.
We'll also be watching the progress of the proposed new ballpark downtown on the waterfront, and it still has to clear a few hurdles. They're hoping to get this new yard open by 2012.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,139,035 times
The talent has been there the past few years, but they just couldn't seem to put it together. My assumption is they would continue to struggle, but they have really turned it around.

Good for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball