U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM

36,828 posts, read 19,980,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
the twins play the game it is supposed to be played. the problem for the ChiSox is that they are 3-18 on fake grass. they don't have the speed nor the style of play to play the game the way the twins do.

the thing is though, when the twins win the division, they always waste it. they always end up getting swept by a team like the Yankees in the 1st round. it's like winning the division is enough for the Minnesota Twins. I just hope they don't waste it again this year like they normally do once they come across a team like the Boston Red Sox.
I think the Twins will be plenty safe from anything the Yankees do. LOL.

But you'll have a new set of challenges. The Angels are just plain tough. Same for Boston. And the Rays are about to find out what mettle they really do have once they get to that "second season". But also, too, is this: Every time the Twins go to the playoffs, they always seem to get to the Big One, and even win it.

So, you have plenty of reason for optimism.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Default More About Tiebreakers

Read this, y'all. Some of these scenarios may happen.

Tiebreakers loom after walk-off wins | MLB.com: News

Old 09-27-2008, 06:35 AM

Lightbulb Settings (Well, in the AL)

Congrats, officially, to the Tampa Bay Rays for their clinching of the AL East and the Red Sox getting the AL Wild Card. We're now waiting for the Twins and White Sox to get their thing settled. In the National League, this will pretty well go down to the very last day if not beyond. But in the NL, given what's happened in the past few years, that's really nothing new.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:03 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,085,174 times
THIS JUST IN...Mets 2, Marlins 0 on a complete game 3-hit shutout by Johan Santana. And so the dream (however shakily) lives for one more day!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:34 PM

8,487 posts, read 9,886,911 times
Congrats to the Phillies on clinching the division.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Congrats to the Phillies on clinching the division.
Yes, they sure did. Jamie Moyer was the winning pitcher in the clinching game for the second consecutive year. You don't see that every day.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Predictions To Come Soon

As you know by now, most of the pairings for our playoffs are set except for the decision in the AL Central. When that gets settled, I'll be making my predictions for all the games in one post. Stay tuned.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:44 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,544,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Klugh View Post
Well, I tackled the hockey season and I guess I should throw my thoughts down here as well. For starters, I'm a proud Orioles fan. Since 1961 I've lived through lovable losers to the dynasty of the late 60's into the 70's., and now perennial lower class citizens. Obviously the hope that springs eternal has been snuffed out again this year, but at least the collapse doesn't have a name like Palmero or Sosa tied to it.

The Angels are the team to beat in the AL. I know the Rays are the darlings of the AL, like the Rockies in the NL last year, but they don't have the experience or the deep line-up to finish strong. The Red Sox are free of Manny and the Dodgers are very thankful, but the Sox have not missed him greatly. Jason Bay is an adequate replacement and fits into the Sox like Kapler, Mientkiewicz, and Drew before him. That leaves the survivor of the Central, personally I am rooting for the Twins, my 2nd favorite franchise, but the White Sox look like they may be a little stronger.

The NL(still the Real baseball league) is going to feature the Cubs (don't look for a Chicago EL series), the aforementioned Dodgers who are hot and adding Manny just adds to the "Red Sox" West title with Nomar and Derek Lowe also there, and we know Joe Torre manages best this time of year. And that leaves the Mets/Phillies victor. The Phillies look the stronger right now and have enough bats and pitching to hang on. The Mets, especially with the loss of John Mains, may be the odd man out again this year because the Brewers will find a way to hang in there, despite or because of the managerial change...whichever way you choose to look at it.

My picks for the World Series:

My head says: Angels over the Cubs in 6

My heart says: Red Sox over the Dodgers in 7

2009 - Orioles will still be playing spoilers by August ;-)
holy cow!! I would like to borrow that crystal ball of yours and see what I can see!!! .... I can't believe how well you did with this!!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,085,174 times
It would certainly be tough on Chicago fans if the Cubs didn't go all the way. What was that magic year...1945? If any team is overdue, it's the Cubs.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM

7,408 posts, read 4,097,350 times
I'm hoping for the Dodgers/Red Sox. It would be a great one.

Go Red Sox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball