Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Weren't the Cubs and Astros supposed to play a double header yesterday? Why didn't they?
I don't think on Saturday morning anybody really knew. It was speculation on a lot of people's parts. Nobody had an idea, Drover, but the powers that be had to act quickly. The games had to get played, and it just couldn't be done in Houston the ways things were, despite efforts by Drayton McLane to convince Bud Selig to have the game there. A lot of people, including myself, thought a double-header could have been scheduled. But I'm now thinking that that 'tiebreaker' game on the 29th is a good idea. In the end, it may not even be necessary unless that game had playoff implications. What's going to be the topic of conversation in the days ahead --- including the Houston Chronicle today -- is the subject of the venue in which this just-completed two-game series got played. Lots of opinions for and against.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Well one of the considerations for choosing the venue was to maximize the gate since the teams, particularly Houston as the home team, stood to lose millions (and probably did anyway). They were certainly going to get more paying customers in Milwaukee than they were in, say, Atlanta or Miami. Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day this is a business.

As for the double header, I thought it had been "officially" scheduled by Saturday.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:57 PM

Default Venues And Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well one of the considerations for choosing the venue was to maximize the gate since the teams, particularly Houston as the home team, stood to lose millions (and probably did anyway). They were certainly going to get more paying customers in Milwaukee than they were in, say, Atlanta or Miami. Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day this is a business.
Yes, it is. Very much so. I'd rather we not have had Ike hit Texas at all, but nothing can change it now. And if you think about it, that series could have gone either way. What if Z had gotten shelled in the first couple of innings? Game 2 might have easily been very different, but it wasn't. And the argument many people are making now is, where could the Astros and Cubs have played if Milwaukee wasn't the only option? The way the weather had been going in a lot of places, the teams needed to have a roof over their heads, and we couldn't have any more delays. And the only other retractable rooves in the majors are Seattle and Phoenix. Then you have Minnesota and St Pete with fixed rooves. Even Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, without a roof, would have been an option because the rain ended there on Sunday. But this is all moot now, and a week from now, who knows what difference this would have made? We'd have to come back in about a week or so and decide then. In the end, it may not matter, anyway, especially when both teams are winning and the Astros find their step again.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 PM

Default Change Is Always Happening

Well, folks, how quickly things change. Instead of the Phillies leading the NL Wild Card race, we now have...........the Mets!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 PM

31 posts, read 68,351 times
Default Seeing Red (Halos or Sox)

Well, I tackled the hockey season and I guess I should throw my thoughts down here as well. For starters, I'm a proud Orioles fan. Since 1961 I've lived through lovable losers to the dynasty of the late 60's into the 70's., and now perennial lower class citizens. Obviously the hope that springs eternal has been snuffed out again this year, but at least the collapse doesn't have a name like Palmero or Sosa tied to it.

The Angels are the team to beat in the AL. I know the Rays are the darlings of the AL, like the Rockies in the NL last year, but they don't have the experience or the deep line-up to finish strong. The Red Sox are free of Manny and the Dodgers are very thankful, but the Sox have not missed him greatly. Jason Bay is an adequate replacement and fits into the Sox like Kapler, Mientkiewicz, and Drew before him. That leaves the survivor of the Central, personally I am rooting for the Twins, my 2nd favorite franchise, but the White Sox look like they may be a little stronger.

The NL(still the Real baseball league) is going to feature the Cubs (don't look for a Chicago EL series), the aforementioned Dodgers who are hot and adding Manny just adds to the "Red Sox" West title with Nomar and Derek Lowe also there, and we know Joe Torre manages best this time of year. And that leaves the Mets/Phillies victor. The Phillies look the stronger right now and have enough bats and pitching to hang on. The Mets, especially with the loss of John Mains, may be the odd man out again this year because the Brewers will find a way to hang in there, despite or because of the managerial change...whichever way you choose to look at it.

My picks for the World Series:

My head says: Angels over the Cubs in 6

My heart says: Red Sox over the Dodgers in 7

2009 - Orioles will still be playing spoilers by August ;-)

Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 PM

Default O's

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Klugh View Post
Well, I tackled the hockey season and I guess I should throw my thoughts down here as well. For starters, I'm a proud Orioles fan. Since 1961 I've lived through lovable losers to the dynasty of the late 60's into the 70's., and now perennial lower class citizens. Obviously the hope that springs eternal has been snuffed out again this year, but at least the collapse doesn't have a name like Palmero or Sosa tied to it.

The Angels are the team to beat in the AL. I know the Rays are the darlings of the AL, like the Rockies in the NL last year, but they don't have the experience or the deep line-up to finish strong. The Red Sox are free of Manny and the Dodgers are very thankful, but the Sox have not missed him greatly. Jason Bay is an adequate replacement and fits into the Sox like Kapler, Mientkiewicz, and Drew before him. That leaves the survivor of the Central, personally I am rooting for the Twins, my 2nd favorite franchise, but the White Sox look like they may be a little stronger.

The NL(still the Real baseball league) is going to feature the Cubs (don't look for a Chicago EL series), the aforementioned Dodgers who are hot and adding Manny just adds to the "Red Sox" West title with Nomar and Derek Lowe also there, and we know Joe Torre manages best this time of year. And that leaves the Mets/Phillies victor. The Phillies look the stronger right now and have enough bats and pitching to hang on. The Mets, especially with the loss of John Mains, may be the odd man out again this year because the Brewers will find a way to hang in there, despite or because of the managerial change...whichever way you choose to look at it.

My picks for the World Series:

My head says: Angels over the Cubs in 6

My heart says: Red Sox over the Dodgers in 7

2009 - Orioles will still be playing spoilers by August ;-)

I'm with you on the Orioles, and I hope they will improve. You might need a change at the very top, but I have confidence you guys will be back. Camden Yards needs to be filled up again. I'll get back to you on any playoff predictions, but I want to wait and see what the actual matchups will be, and then go from there.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Klugh View Post
The Angels are the team to beat in the AL. I know the Rays are the darlings of the AL, like the Rockies in the NL last year, but they don't have the experience or the deep line-up to finish strong.
Wow, really? I'm pretty sure they are on their way to winning their division after having 3 of their starters out for various periods of time down the stretch... Crawford, Upton, and Longoria. Not to mention Troy Percival. Just because you can't name the multitude of players that are capable of helping at every position as well as batting and clean-up pitching doesn't mean they don't have a deep line-up. Just my two cents.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
All I have to say is 'go phillies' and 'go brewers'.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Default If No Space, Then Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
All I have to say is 'go phillies' and 'go brewers'.
If my Astros can't get in as a Wild Card (there's still time, but not much), then I'd like to see the Brewers clinch. But it's not doing the Astros any good losing games by twelve runs. Sooner or later, they've got to get their step back.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
Wow, really? I'm pretty sure they are on their way to winning their division after having 3 of their starters out for various periods of time down the stretch... Crawford, Upton, and Longoria. Not to mention Troy Percival. Just because you can't name the multitude of players that are capable of helping at every position as well as batting and clean-up pitching doesn't mean they don't have a deep line-up. Just my two cents.
The Rays have gotten it together, and they really poured it on the Red Sox at Tropicana Field. It may be the best team people still don't know much about. Well, guess what?? Everybody's about to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball