Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:28 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times

Advertisements

This is an extremely silly rule to play a 163rd game to break a tie. Why can't the MLB be like the NFL and use a series of tiebreakers to see which team makes it into the playoff and which doesn't? Of course, I'm referring to the Twins and White Sox. What's worse is that the Twins beat the White Sox head-to-head this year, 10-8, yet they have to travel to Chicago to play that extra game. What a load of crap. Bud Selig, if you're reading this (I know he's not), do the right thing and get rid of tiebreaker games!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
This deserves only a one-word response: precedent. Look it up: National League, 1951. Dodgers vs. Giants. They finished the season in a tie, and a best-of-three playoff decided who would go to the Series that year. (It ended with the famous--or, depending on who you rooted for, infamous--"Shot Heard Round the World.")

Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
I actually prefer this method, settle it on the field, however the Twins should have gotten home field.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM

221 posts, read 519,768 times
Last year the Rockies and Padres played a 163rd game since they were in a tie for the NL wild card. The Rockies won in the 13th inning and to date that has been the longest one game tiebreaker in MLB history.

As for today's game, I'd like to see the Twins beat the White Sox and silence Ozzie Guillen for the rest of 2008.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
I don't have a problem with them playing 1 game but home field should be decided by head to head record and if tied then either another tie breaker like run differential.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
I thought it was awesome, I agree with aardvarks settle it on the field. Of course Not all play in games are fun thank you Bucky F@#$*N Dent.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsbeach View Post
As for today's game, I'd like to see the Twins beat the White Sox and silence Ozzie Guillen for the rest of 2008.
So sorry to disappoint you.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Yea, the Twins lost and home field for these tie breaker games is based on a.......coin flip.
This is why I wish Selig and the old farts running his show would just go. If they are so concerned about starting the actual playoffs too late, well, simple solution.....for determining home field advantage:
Tie breaker 1...head to head match up, would have favored, in this years case, the Twins.
Tie breaker 2...better record against the rest of the league.....
Tie breaker 3...better record against the rest of the division.....
Then however gets the home field advantage would have to play the 1st game at the other teams park, then game 2 (and 3 if needed) would be played in a day, night doubleheader.
For the Twins, or any other team, to have an important decision like that, come down to a coin flip, is just wrong.
If a manager is concerned about pitchers, well, that's is what the 40 man roster is for.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
The White Sox unfairly got home field advantage and it's a sham that it's the reason why they'er in the playoffs and the Twins are out. Granted, I'm not saying that the Twins would've been in if they played Game #163 in Minnesota. But it's a fact that both of these teams played way better at home than on the road.

I'm still strongly in favor of just having a 162-game season. Yes, I understand there have been some memorable Game #163s. But, by definition, they will be memorable since it's like Game 7 of the playoffs: winner moves on, loser starts vacation.

I'm feeling more strongly about this the more I think about it (just like my pro stance on inter-league play and instant replay - two things that traditionalists/purists are against).

Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio discussed this on Tues. morning. Golic was for it based on how the NFL successfully does it and "Greeny" (Greenberg) was against it for what he admitted were not logical reasons but for reasons Fred314X mentioned.

Let me throw one more question at you, esp. to the folks in favor of a 163rd game. What if a regular season record was broken in the 163rd game, such as most # of wins by a pitcher, most home runs in a season, etc.? Wouldn't it be unfair that the player got the chance to break the record b/c he played a 163rd game? Remember, the 163rd game counts as a regular season game, not a playoff game.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 AM

201 posts, read 478,938 times
I love the 163rd game, you can't get much more excitement than we saw earlier..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball