Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

OK..I'm a Red Sox fan. I think Jason Varitek did and still does a great job behind the plate, although his hitting has slowed to a trickle and he has been pulled out of the post season at critical times in favor of a pinch hitter.

The questions are...at 36 years old, with his declining hitting, will the Sox sign him? Should they sign him? Does he have another 3 years? Would he take a 1 or 2 year deal?

If they don't sign Varitek, is Kevin Cash ready to be the full time backstop or do they go out and try to find someone on the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
hits a home run when needed!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:29 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,015 times
Cash will never start for the Sox. Varitek - with is terrible '08 season and playoffs- is really only valueable to the Sox. I doubt he gets big money anywhere. I think the Sox resign him for 2 years with potentially a club option.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
It's sad to say goodbye to a player who has meant so much, but you're going to have to do it at some point. Varitek is not the player he used to be. It's time to deal for a new catcher.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:00 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
I agree with Sox Fan. He's not really valuable anywhere else. His value is in Boston, and he's never really had any kinds of contract issues. He seems to be a guy to go where his heart is, instead of where the dollars are.

They probably sign him with an option. He'll train his replacement at some time. I wouldn't doubt if the Sox retire the ol' #33

Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
I might give him two years with an option, at a reasonable price.

He made $10 million each of the past four seasons. Actually, it was $9 million, but he also had a $4 million signing bonus. Scott Boras is his agent, so expect some tough discussions.

My ceiling price for Viratek would be $6 million per season for two years guaranteed, and a third year club option. I wouldn't go any higher than that.

His bat has really tailed off the past three years, with his last good batting season being 2005. I think this is permanent, especially at his age and position. Frankly, I wouldn't want to have him catch more than 110 games, giving 50 to someone else.

Boston has a couple of decent prospects at catcher, so they can look towards long term alternatives. Mark Wagner has an inconsistent bat, but has sufficient tools to be a competent backup catcher. Same with Dusty Brown. Over the longer term, the Sox have some possibilities in Luis Exposito and Jon Still.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
I agree. Sign him for maybe two more years. It's been painfull in recent memory to have him come up to bat in scoring opportunities just to see him strike out. I mean, he used to at least be able to get the bat on the ball. I love V-Tek but it's about that time to call it a game.

Oh yeah and congrats to the Rays. It pains me to say it but you were clearly the better team last night. I hope the Phillies destroy you.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
The Rem Dawg discussed this question during the post-game show last night. He pointed out that there is not much in the way of good catchers available right now, and discussed the possibility of having Varitek help break in a young replacement. As much as I still feel that it would be sad, but inevitable and best for the team, to let him go if they could find a solid replacement, if there is really no one available, Remy's idea may be the best option. However, Remy also pointed out that if the Sox were to keep Varitek, they would really need to stack the lineup with hitting, to make up for that one weak spot. I tend to agree with this.

Retire his number? It would be nice, but the Sox' current policy is that a player has to go to the Hall of Fame for them to retire his number. They made the one exception this year for Johnny Pesky because of the various contributions he has made to the club over many years. No one else in club history really compares in this way. Unless they change their criteria, I don't see 'Tek's number being retired. He's had a fine career, but he's not a Hall of Famer.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The Rem Dawg discussed this question during the post-game show last night. He pointed out that there is not much in the way of good catchers available right now, and discussed the possibility of having Varitek help break in a young replacement. As much as I still feel that it would be sad, but inevitable and best for the team, to let him go if they could find a solid replacement, if there is really no one available, Remy's idea may be the best option. However, Remy also pointed out that if the Sox were to keep Varitek, they would really need to stack the lineup with hitting, to make up for that one weak spot. I tend to agree with this.

Retire his number? It would be nice, but the Sox' current policy is that a player has to go to the Hall of Fame for them to retire his number. They made the one exception this year for Johnny Pesky because of the various contributions he has made to the club over many years. No one else in club history really compares in this way. Unless they change their criteria, I don't see 'Tek's number being retired. He's had a fine career, but he's not a Hall of Famer.
Well said, ogre. I agree with you on all points. After taking a step back from thinking about Varitek's dreadful post season I think resigning him to a reasonable contract is a good idea. However, with Scott Boras as his agent reasonable may not be a possibility! There are no free agent catchers out there this year. He's great with the staff and could help with a young catcher.

His number won't be retired.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post

Good analysis. The other point to consider is whether or not Wakefield will be back. Varitek gets the day off when Wake throws, so either Cash would continue to start one turn in the rotation without Wake or Varitek would have a bunch of additional starts. As he ages, this may contibute to his decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball