Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,397,180 times

Advertisements

Colorado should have been moved to the AL, not Houston. The Astros have been a NL team for nearly 50 years. Another terrible move by MLB.

I agree that there are no other metros capable of supporting MLB. It's not 16 games like football, or even 80 something for hockey/basketball. It's 162 games with at least a 35,000 seat stadium to fill. Charlotte couldn't do it, Vegas couldn't do it, Portland couldn't do it.

Too many teams already, and all this extra wild card crap is already ruining the postseason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Colorado should have been moved to the AL, not Houston. The Astros have been a NL team for nearly 50 years. Another terrible move by MLB.
I would have enjoyed COL in the AL West for personal reasons (I live in Denver, and am a Mariners fan), it makes no sense for TX to have two AL teams IMO, and COL has less history.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 AM

16,984 posts, read 21,655,592 times
Baseball can't fill their stadiums now (ok Yankees still do) so more teams is not the solution and will just be a drain on the revenue sharing already in place.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,397,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I would have enjoyed COL in the AL West for personal reasons (I live in Denver, and am a Mariners fan), it makes no sense for TX to have two AL teams IMO, and COL has less history.
Not to mention the Astros fans will have to stay up later for all those west coast division games than Rockies fans would have. I can tell you as a Red Wings fan that a bad conference/league alignment really blows where that's concerned. And we're in the EASTERN time zone, not the central or mountain. All those late nights watching them in San Jose, Anaheim, etc. It was so wrong. Thankfully it looks like they're moving back to the east for next season.

MLB tried to pass off an Astros/Rangers rivalry as an excuse for the Astros to the AL. Please. No one gives a rip. Half the people in DFW and Houston aren't even from there to begin with. There are probably more Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs fans in both those towns than Astros or Rangers.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,926,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That's an even smaller market than the TB-St.Petersburg area.
I thought Tampa Bay and Orlando were in the same sports market. Isn't that the reason why Orlando doesn't have any other major leagues teams is because of it's close proximity to the Tampa Bay area?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,671,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Baseball can't fill their stadiums now (ok Yankees still do) so more teams is not the solution and will just be a drain on the revenue sharing already in place.
Can you please source this?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:04 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,845,518 times
since baseball has scrapped so many of its traditions why not implement a promotion/relegation system? Involve the whole country. Give the baseball fan in Nashville a chance to see his club get to MLB. And punish the Astros and Marlins of the world for being greedy cheap owners that put out a bad club because it means still profiting and not having to worry about being relegated.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,671,314 times
Two URLs that show a list of cities that could and could not support an MLB team based on personal income:

Just on MLB - Baseball has few options for expansion markets - The Business Journals

MLB and other leagues - Could Your City Give a Sports Team a Good Home?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM

45 posts, read 85,129 times
I'd like to see Salt Lake City and Las Vegas get teams. In general, I'd like to see teams in states/areas of the country that currently have no MLB team, and preferrably, no pro sports teams at all--Nebraska, Idaho, Alabama, Iowa, etc.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 AM

31 posts, read 39,199 times
Less inter-league games.More diluted pitching, and more offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball