Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times

Advertisements

Des Moines or Iowa City, Iowa. I think Iowa needs a professional sports team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Iowa? No way Des Moines or any city in Iowa is a major league city. Des Moines already has a AAA team, and I would think of Des Moines as a AAA-sized city.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
We could just get rid of the cubs or ship them to europe and give chicago a new expansion team on the northside and maybe that team will win a world series in 100 years. Or at least try to win more playoff games in the last 5 years than the Brewers!!!(1-3) Cubs(0-6).
There's an old joke here in Chicago that goes something like this: What do Cubs fans and Sox fans have in common? Answer: they're both obsessed with the Cubs and they're both vaguely aware that there's another baseball team in town. The way you keep posting the same basic thing over and over, the joke may need to be revised to make it about Brewers fans.

If you insist on obsessing over the fact that the Brewers crashed in only slightly less spectacular fashion, start your own thread on the topic instead of trying to hijack every other baseball thread.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I say Vegas and San Antonio. Although, I think the last thing MLB needs in expansion.
Expansion teams in places like San Antonio and especially Vegas will experience the same problems the Florida teams have experienced: those markets have so many transplants that a good chunk of would-be fans already have allegiances to other teams -- namely, those from wherever "back home" is. The population of Vegas in particular is so transient that it may take decades or longer to establish a substantial population that is truly rooted in the local community and willing to invest emotionally and financially in a major "home team" sports franchise.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Expansion teams in places like San Antonio and especially Vegas will experience the same problems the Florida teams have experienced: those markets have so many transplants that a good chunk of would-be fans already have allegiances to other teams -- namely, those from wherever "back home" is. The population of Vegas in particular is so transient that it may take decades or longer to establish a substantial population that is truly rooted in the local community and willing to invest emotionally and financially in a major "home team" sports franchise.
Good points, Drover. Also, too, about San Antonio, is the issue of demographics, and maybe more so than people moving in from other places. They've got pros and cons like all cities do. In that city, they've got a large Hispanic population, but many areas inside the loop are mostly poor, and I'm not real sure how that would bode well for baseball support. It's a big football and basketball area (given the Spurs' successes), and their minor league baseball team, the Missions, doesn't draw an overwhelmingly great number of fans, something MLB would probably frown on in consideration for expansion. Still, SA has good suburbs and other towns and cities (Austin) that are within 90 minutes, that might remotely help them in the long run if they are to get a team. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a third baseball team in Texas, and they'd be great to have to liven up the American League. But as much as I'd love to see it, I honestly couldn't see them as one of two if two, for example, are to be added anytime soon.

Last edited by case44; 12-03-2008 at 06:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Hampton Roads/Norfolk

Old 12-07-2008, 11:21 PM

295 posts, read 546,586 times
Milwaukee will trade the bucks to anywhere for another baseball team or just for CC and a six pack of Miller High Life. But I don't think anyone would want the bucks. I don't want to see expansion but I do want to see Houston get out of our division. There is no need for the NL Central to have 6 teams when the AL West has only 4. Next time I get cut off by bud selig on the freeway I'll be sure to tell him that.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Montreal will never have MLB again. Montreal fans feel that they were sold out by baseball, and will never forgive the game.

There really ought to be 32 teams, but there are already a few cities that have teams that shouldn't have. Miami and Tampa fans just barely supporlt their team, even when they have a winner. Theyve been in three World Series in the past ten years, and they can't give tickets away. Baseball should pull out of Florida. That leaves only 28 teams now pllayng in markets that will suppoort them. The solution might be to put four more teams in the suburbs of markets that will support them, like another team in Los Angeles and one in New Jersey and one in Long Island. The population base is there.

But it realoy is essential to have an appropriate number of teams to assure that every division has the same number of teams. A team in a 4-team division will make the post season 25 times a century, and in a 6-team divison, only once every 17 years, whicn means they get cheated out of a playoff spot eight times, or once every 12 years.

I would hope that, with 32 teams, they could settle in on four 8-team divisions.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
Milwaukee will trade the bucks to anywhere for another baseball team or just for CC and a six pack of Miller High Life. But I don't think anyone would want the bucks. I don't want to see expansion but I do want to see Houston get out of our division. There is no need for the NL Central to have 6 teams when the AL West has only 4. Next time I get cut off by bud selig on the freeway I'll be sure to tell him that.
Sorry, MILWCITY, but Houston will never be in the American League. Astro fans will never support that. When there are 16 teams in three divisions like the NL has, the configuration is five, five, and six. That's the way it is. It's more geographically prudent to have six teams in the center, with five on the sides. Not sacred, mind you, just prudent. That's what the AL's challenge would be if it expanded from 14 teams. But, no, Houston's a National League city all the way, and no expansion or realignment will ever change that.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Interesting thread. I think Carlotte would be perfect for a team. Atlanta isn't that far, and I think an Atlanta-Charlotte rivalry would be fun to watch. Also, I think San Antonio is a good pick. A city of over 1 million and 1 pro sport team? That needs to change.

Other places that I think will do well: New Jersey. Talk about a hypothetical Newark AL team playing the Yankees..

Upstate NY: A domed stadium in Buffalo.

California: Because the Central Valley needs a team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball