Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,883,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You know, as a lifelong Mets fan I've noticed something peculiar about fans of that team from The Bronx. It would probably require a Federal grant for a study to figure out why, but Yankee fans can only dish it out. They can't take it. And any time the Red Sox beat them, fuhgeddaboudit! It's the end of their world.
Sorry, you obviously don't know mayn real fans -- just ex-Mets fans.

At least Yankee pitchers don't stuff their entire hands in their mouths on the mound. Pelfrey, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,758,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Sorry, you obviously don't know mayn real fans -- just ex-Mets fans.

At least Yankee pitchers don't stuff their entire hands in their mouths on the mound. Pelfrey, anyone?
Yankee pitchers are too busy roiding up.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
bwhahahahahaha I love that come back.. "we have 26 championship" Yippie skippy! I could care less about Babe Ruth won in 1921. Really who cares?

Not only do you not care -- you have the date wrong. The first Yankee championship was 1923 -- not 1921. And it still galls that the Sox let him go, doesn't it?

I cant tell you hgow many Yankee fans have NO CLUE who Casey Stengel or Joe McCarthy are. Mind you these guys won more World Series than Joe Torre ever went to as managers.

I wasn't even alive when McCarthy (aka 'Marse Joe') managed the team, but not knowing Casey Stengel? Please. He managed the Yankees from 1949 to 1960, (including 5 in a row from '49 to '53), was fired when they lost the Series to the Pirates, then went to the Mets ("Can't enybody here play this game?" is a famous quote of is from that era). he was known as 'The Ol' Perfessor' and was known for his creative handling (or mishandling) of syntax. His testimony before Congress on baseball's antitrust exemption (did you know about that?) befuddled many a lawmaker.

Next question?

Oh sure they know Ruth, Mantle, Mattingly and the BIG names, but do they know the HISTORY.... um NO!

Um...do you?

Have the Red Sox picked up bandwagon fans since 04 NO DOUBT, but the real ones dont run and hide when the chips are down.
Neither do the real Yankee fans. I've been one over 50 years, and plan to be one to the day I die, just like my parents were.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Yankee pitchers are too busy roiding up.
And no Red Sox players ever touched the stuff, right?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
And no Red Sox players ever touched the stuff, right?
Of course they did. The Red Sox are just the flip side of the coin that the Yankees are on. Neither of them play real baseball, anyway.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 06-11-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Of course they did. The Red Sox are just the flip side of the coin that the Yankees are on. Neither of them play real baseball, anyway.
Wow -- what intelligent discourse.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,599,927 times
Quote:
Neither do the real Yankee fans. I've been one over 50 years, and plan to be one to the day I die, just like my parents were.

Great thats one of you. Not very many like you then. I asked a table of 6 guys last night at the sports bar about Stengel and not 1 could tell me who the hell he was. But they been fans for "decades" they say. Everyone and there momma thinks its fashionable to wear a Yankees hat a claim they are a fan but have NO CONCEPT of thier team history.

PS - the reason I mentioned 1921 because it was the 1st year that the yankees were in a world series and lost to the Giants. I wasnt around in 1918 so the whole Babe Ruth thing is really its not that big a deal to ME.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Great thats one of you. Not very many like you then.

You must associate with the wrong people. Here in North Jersey, pretty much any Yankee fan or Mets fan could tell you who he was, and plenty can spew quotes at you, too.

I asked a table of 6 guys last night at the sports bar about Stengel and not 1 could tell me who the hell he was. But they been fans for "decades" they say. Everyone and there momma thinks its fashionable to wear a Yankees hat a claim they are a fan

My mother never wore a Yankee cap -- but I have three of them. My casual wear is pretty standard -- a Yankee tee shirt and jeans.

but have NO CONCEPT of thier team history.

Like I said -- you associate with the wrong people. We have great baseball discussions at work on a daily basis. I'm usually the only woman involved, but I can hold my own with the guys.

PS - the reason I mentioned 1921 because it was the 1st year that the yankees were in a world series and lost to the Giants. I wasnt around in 1918 so the whole Babe Ruth thing is really its not that big a deal to ME.
My father (who was a walking, talking baseball encyclopedia -- and who played semi-pro ball in the 30s through the 50s) met Ruth and Gehrig (and the rest of the 1929 team) that year, when he was 14. He went to Yankee Stadium in 1923, the year it opened -- and was taken there by my paternal grandmother, who was a big fan. My maternal grandmother was one as well.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Wow -- what intelligent discourse.
What "discourse" is required to say that the Red Sox and Yankees are two teams with front-runner fans and 'roided up players that don't play real baseball? It's a simple statement. Did A-Rod come out of the closet yet, by the way?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,007,221 times
This thread should be closed nobody really like the yankees. They are just bandwagon jumpers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball