Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 12:55 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,090,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
And just as I said, the Yankee topics heat up when they start winning again.... tisk tisk
That's your opinion.This team is very deep so we're in it for the long haul. Not many teams can say that if their starting fielders went out that they'd be covered but we are.We even hit 3rd and 4th string in catching and we were okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:50 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,600,134 times
Its not an opinion its fact. When you guys were losing, almost NOBODY was posting in the Yankee threads except the red sox folks that were giving you guys hell.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
.This team is very deep so we're in it for the long haul. Not many teams can say that if their starting fielders went out that they'd be covered but we are.
One would certainly hope so, given the massive salary expenditure. Of course, there is that little matter of zero....that's the number of games the deep and highly paid Yankees have won against the Red Sox this season....NONE.

I would put the Sox starters, bench, and bullpen up against the Yankees any day, and at a lower cost. Maybe that's why the Sox are 8-0 against the Yanks and 3 games up in the standings.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
One would certainly hope so, given the massive salary expenditure. Of course, there is that little matter of zero....that's the number of games the deep and highly paid Yankees have won against the Red Sox this season....NONE.

I would put the Sox starters, bench, and bullpen up against the Yankees any day, and at a lower cost. Maybe that's why the Sox are 8-0 against the Yanks and 3 games up in the standings.
I like to call it chance.Every year there's a chance that one team will own the other or we will be equal.This year so far we haven't showed up for any games vs. the sox but when we turn that corner look out!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,583,271 times
Quote:
I don't care what anyone says,love em or hate em the Yankees are the most talked about and followed team in baseball.They bring in the most money for their team and others while on the road.All bow down to the NY Yankees!!!
The Yankees, boy am I tired of them. All they do is spend money, they should win the World Series every year. They get way too much attention from the media. I mean, come on ESPN, you show three games every week and 2 out of the three are Yankee games, how about mixing it up a little.

And also, all good Yankee players are overly-glorified. Yeah Gehrig, Dimaggio and Mantle were good, but Musial and many others are just better, but the east coast players get so much more attention. Gehrig and especially Mantle and Dimaggio just advertised themselves but Musial kept to himself, wasn't cocky, played the game how it's supposed to be played, but is overshadowed by Yankee and Red Sox players.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
The Yankees, boy am I tired of them. All they do is spend money, they should win the World Series every year. They get way too much attention from the media. I mean, come on ESPN, you show three games every week and 2 out of the three are Yankee games, how about mixing it up a little.

And also, all good Yankee players are overly-glorified. Yeah Gehrig, Dimaggio and Mantle were good, but Musial and many others are just better, but the east coast players get so much more attention. Gehrig and especially Mantle and Dimaggio just advertised themselves but Musial kept to himself, wasn't cocky, played the game how it's supposed to be played, but is overshadowed by Yankee and Red Sox players.
Was Hank Aaron an outspoken guy? He played for the Braves and made a name for himself so you're entirely wrong and as for 3 Yankee games a week on tv...I don't think so.If I see 1 game of theirs on espn a week it's alot so get your facts straight and stop exaggerating.Solid players always stick out.Should I be complaining that Pujols gets too much attention? He puts up numbers so he gets warranted attention but the fact is that larger markets will get more attention it's common sense.If your team has 1 million fans and mine has 100 million then my team will sell more tickets, tee shirts,etc...When it comes right down to it,it's all about making money and no one does it better then my team.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Was Hank Aaron an outspoken guy? He played for the Braves and made a name for himself so you're entirely wrong and as for 3 Yankee games a week on tv...I don't think so.If I see 1 game of theirs on espn a week it's alot so get your facts straight and stop exaggerating.Solid players always stick out.Should I be complaining that Pujols gets too much attention? He puts up numbers so he gets warranted attention but the fact is that larger markets will get more attention it's common sense.If your team has 1 million fans and mine has 100 million then my team will sell more tickets, tee shirts,etc...When it comes right down to it,it's all about making money and no one does it better then my team.
I don't really understand the Hank Aaron part, maybe you can explain? But, I said two Yankee games anyway and that is true. Also, sadly enough, Yankee Stadium's average home attendance percantage is barely more than Busch Stadium's. You would think that an area with 18,000,000 would sell out every game . And Pujols is a better than any other Yankee not named Ruth or Gehrig.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
I don't really understand the Hank Aaron part, maybe you can explain? But, I said two Yankee games anyway and that is true. Also, sadly enough, Yankee Stadium's average home attendance percantage is barely more than Busch Stadium's. You would think that an area with 18,000,000 would sell out every game . And Pujols is a better than any other Yankee not named Ruth or Gehrig.
Until his name comes out on a steroids list!Also are you forgetting the proximity of Queens to the Bronx? 2 teams right next to each other, not like St. Louis and KC which are hours away.By the way if you check the amount of money brought in by the Yanks whether through attendance or parafernalia we FAR exceed St.Louis' revenue.
I also do think that Pujols is a very good player and hopefully he is clean but it takes many years to mention him in the same sentence as Ruth, Gehrig,or Mantle so you're jumping the gun a little bit.
The Hank Aaron comment dealt with how a much smaller market guy got the respect he did even in such a tubulent time with race as a major issue.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Until his name comes out on a steroids list!Also are you forgetting the proximity of Queens to the Bronx? 2 teams right next to each other, not like St. Louis and KC which are hours away.By the way if you check the amount of money brought in by the Yanks whether through attendance or parafernalia we FAR exceed St.Louis' revenue.
I also do think that Pujols is a very good player and hopefully he is clean but it takes many years to mention him in the same sentence as Ruth, Gehrig,or Mantle so you're jumping the gun a little bit.
The Hank Aaron comment dealt with how a much smaller market guy got the respect he did even in such a tubulent time with race as a major issue.
Ok, I understand your point about Hank Aaron, which is true. But as far as your point towards the St. Louis and New York revenue, there are about 3,000,000 people in the St. Louis metro and 20,000,000 in the New York.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,600,134 times
That Hank Aaron comparison is apples and oranges. Hank Aaron was a PHENOM in the sport who did it when being a black athlete was almost unheard of. Yes we had Jackie Robinson but Hank was a different type of player, he had POWER and that has and always will be the biggest draw in MLB.

Players in NY always have and will get more attention because they are exposed to the BIGGEST media market in the country. Average or above average players get more spot lite in that market. When Johhny Damon was in KC nobody cared, he left Boston to go to NY he was getting ESPN specials filmed about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball