Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,071,991 times

Advertisements

Who will you be watching?

I'll be watching the BoSox squish the Rays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Who will you be watching?

I'll be watching the BoSox squish the Rays
So much for that, Sox/Rays postponed until tomorrow.

Most games on the eastern seaboard in trouble.

Now I'll be watching the Yanks lose, assuming they play. Go Baltimore.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
So much for that, Sox/Rays postponed until tomorrow.

Most games on the eastern seaboard in trouble.

Now I'll be watching the Yanks lose, assuming they play. Go Baltimore.
You have touched on a topic which I've wanted to address for some time, that being the early April scheduling and the fact that many early April games in the northern climes are cancelled due to weather delays.

The 2009 AL schedule for today has opening day games set for Chicago, Boston, Toronto and Minnesota - ALL COLD WEATHER cities! IMO, this is very poor (stupid?) scheduling. Your Tampa at Boston game is ass backwards, the game should be Boston AT Tampa - no snow there today! The KC game at Chicago is also cancelled for today. Swell.

Meanwhile, the AL has Detroit opening in Toronto, what a joke - weatherwise. The league also has Oakland opening in Los Angeles - another joke of having two warm weather teams opening. Smarter would be to have Detroit opening at Oakland and Toronto opening at Los Angeles. Instead of Seattle opening in Minnesota (aka The Frozen North), that too should be the other way around. Is the American League nuts?

Over in the NL, they're a bit smarter, but it's iffy that Pittsburgh opens in St Louis while the Dodgers open in San Diego. I'd have Pittsburgh open in San Diego and St Louis open at the Dodgers - damned sure no winter weather would cancel those games.

IMO, the cold weather teams of the Great Lakes, New England and Canada should spend the first two weeks of the season opening in the warm weather cities as the last of the winter weather subsides in the northern climes.

In years past, I've seen Cleveland postpone an entire 3-game series at the start of the season due to winter weather; there were pix of guys shoveling a foot of snow out of the seating areas trying to get the ballpark open.

Until ALL of the cold weather towns have domed stadiums, the leagues need to get a lot smarter with the early season schedules. Of course, old-timers remember when the season was "only" 144 games and didn't start until late April. But hey, the greedy bums gotta chase the money, expand the season to 162 games and back up the start of the season to April's Fool Day.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 PM

You make a lot of good points Mike and I agree with you, just a couple of clarifications, Toronto does make sense because they play in a dome, same with Minnesota, also it gets a little more complicated when dealing with multiple divisions, because of the unbalanced schedule, eastern teams don't play against western teams nearly as often as they used too.

But there's no reason at all for the Rays to open at Boston when they can very easily switch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You have touched on a topic which I've wanted to address for some time, that being the early April scheduling and the fact that many early April games in the northern climes are cancelled due to weather delays.

The 2009 AL schedule for today has opening day games set for Chicago, Boston, Toronto and Minnesota - ALL COLD WEATHER cities! IMO, this is very poor (stupid?) scheduling. Your Tampa at Boston game is ass backwards, the game should be Boston AT Tampa - no snow there today! The KC game at Chicago is also cancelled for today. Swell.

Meanwhile, the AL has Detroit opening in Toronto, what a joke - weatherwise. The league also has Oakland opening in Los Angeles - another joke of having two warm weather teams opening. Smarter would be to have Detroit opening at Oakland and Toronto opening at Los Angeles. Instead of Seattle opening in Minnesota (aka The Frozen North), that too should be the other way around. Is the American League nuts?

Over in the NL, they're a bit smarter, but it's iffy that Pittsburgh opens in St Louis while the Dodgers open in San Diego. I'd have Pittsburgh open in San Diego and St Louis open at the Dodgers - damned sure no winter weather would cancel those games.

IMO, the cold weather teams of the Great Lakes, New England and Canada should spend the first two weeks of the season opening in the warm weather cities as the last of the winter weather subsides in the northern climes.

In years past, I've seen Cleveland postpone an entire 3-game series at the start of the season due to winter weather; there were pix of guys shoveling a foot of snow out of the seating areas trying to get the ballpark open.

Until ALL of the cold weather towns have domed stadiums, the leagues need to get a lot smarter with the early season schedules. Of course, old-timers remember when the season was "only" 144 games and didn't start until late April. But hey, the greedy bums gotta chase the money, expand the season to 162 games and back up the start of the season to April's Fool Day.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,442,333 times
you cant just load up on southern teams having home games in april, because that means you would have to load up on northern teams having home games in the summer, which could be viewed as advantageous to the northern teams. on top of that, its gonna be cold/potentially snowy throughout April in several cities, are they just to not have home games all month? Its easy to say, open in SD, LA on opening day, but what about next week, or the week after?

With that said, im bummed the ChiSox got cancelled today, i was pumped.

Minn's new stadium slated to open soon, is a non-dome too, crazy.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,104,671 times
Yup, Minnesota is building a new outdoor stadium with no retractable roof.

Fans have visions of outdoor baseball on a perfect day in June, July, and August.

Twin fans must have forgotten that baseball is also scheduled in April, May, September, and October.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:48 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,611,776 times
Just finished watching the my Mets beat the Reds, 2-1. The new bullpen looks good! Watch out NL!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Just finished watching the my Mets beat the Reds, 2-1. The new bullpen looks good! Watch out NL!
Good for you!

Meanwhile, for us O's fans, by May we'll probably be saying what we say most seasons: "Wait 'til next year!"

Old 04-06-2009, 05:31 PM

Meanwhile.....

Here in COLO SPGS, CO, home of the AAA Skysox (Rockies system), our opening day is Thursday, 09 April.

Weather for that day is windy, rainy, snow showers, with a high of 48F, which means by 6:30 PM it'll be 38F and blowing a gale.

I'll be there, wearing my opening day baseball necktie. At least tix are only $11 for the best seats, and they give away so much stuff the tix are almost free. The park is AAA size, a lot of fun, and often times we'll see an owl fly in and hang out on the safety net behind home plate, or rabbits running across the outfield. Being minor league, we can talk to the players between innings and have a decent time at the park. Ya gotta love it.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
Mets 2, Reds 0. Can't ask for more than that. Unless you were rooting for Cincinnati, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball