U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,042,514 times

Advertisements

I have been having this discussion with two of my buddies about the issue of small market teams and large market teams and we have gone back and forth. People hate the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs and Mets because they spend a large sum of money on players. For some it works, the Red Sox have 2 titles in the last 5 years, for others it fails the Yankees have no titles since 200 but have had the highest payroll every year. Now what about these small market teams that have tiny payrolls and the fans hate on the large spenders?

Lets look at some.

Kansas City - They do nothing to better that team. Yet the owner is fat and happy!

Minnesota - Refuse to pay to keep good players and is somewhat competetive

Milwaukee - Wasnt a factor until the last few years when they started shedding some dollars

Florida - Classic example of how the owner has success for a season, has a fire sale and gets rid of all the talent and then rebuilds again. They have some success especially playing in that jacked up stadium they are in.

Pittsburgh - Um, same as KC but I dont know how fat and happy the owner is.

Colorado & Arizona - One year wonders that dont like to spend either.

I'm sure there are more or some that folks will disagree with. Debate away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:05 AM

7,513 posts, read 18,363,365 times
Quote:
Milwaukee - Wasn't a factor until the last few years when they started shedding some dollars
Since Jan 2004 we have had a new owner and since then our payroll has gone from 26 million in 2003 to 90 million last year when we had CC. I believe you can have a good team without a huge payroll but you need two things instead of just one. The two things are Farm System and Money, if you have an owner willing to spend you just need Money. Now I think Market size has very little to do with actual success IE St. Louis roughly the same size as KC and Pitt and Milw. It comes down to great front office. Where do you draw the line on "Small Market" Twin Cities are considered small market at 3.5million people or Seattle at 4 million. To me there are no small market teams just smaller market teams. Market size is an excuse for party pooper fans and owners. Milwaukee the smallest market in baseball at immediate surrounding area(8 counties) being 2.5 million drew over 3 million fans and the brewers have already sold more than 2 million tickets before the 15th game of the season!!!

Point being no matter if your in Omaha or Tokyo, put a competitive product on the field they will come!

Milwaukee Brewer's Hit Attendance Milestone - BIG 12 Sports News Story - WISN Milwaukee (http://www.wisn.com/sports/19244211/detail.html - broken link)

Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

Point being no matter if your in Omaha or Tokyo, put a competitive product on the field they will come!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,130,425 times
The Brewers, Rockies and DBacks were all around the average for 09. Bottom line, though, cheap owners. Small market is a terrible excuse.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM

7,513 posts, read 18,363,365 times
How is Oakland a small market team? last time I checked the Bay area had 7.5 million people now I know 7 million of those aren't all SF fans!. A true small market team would be Wyoming if they had a team. But even in WI, the whole state pulls for the Brewers so I guess that's 6 million people of a fan base. Al this talk of market size is a bunch of espn propaganda to make small cities not NY feel bad for themselves.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,334,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post

Kansas City - They do nothing to better that team. Yet the owner is fat and happy!

Minnesota - Refuse to pay to keep good players and is somewhat competetive
Minnesota is a model franchise. I like that they don't overpay.

The statement about KC could have been true 4-5 years ago, but no longer. They have consistently improved over the last few years. They also spend money. They are now competitive, although in a weak division.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM

How is KC competitive? They are at or near the bottom of thier division standings yearly.

08- 75W- 87L
07- 69W- 93L
06- 62W- 100L
05- 56W- 106L
04- 58W- 104L

How is that competitive? PLEASE show me what I am not seeing. Who wants to go see that? And if they are in a WEAK division they should have an easier time being competitive yet they are 4th or 5th in the division every year.

03 was the ONLY year that they won more games than they lost since 1994.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,130,425 times
The Royals have a great young team right now.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:15 PM

17,032 posts, read 25,350,322 times
Its not really fair to say Minnesota doesnt pay, its just they dont play the trump card all the time. Look at Santana contract, the Twins offered 20 million, but he (and agent) knew New York teams would pay much more. Its the second and third contracts where the spending owners move in, one bad decision on a long tem (5 yr + deal) can hamper a franchise...see Zito.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Its not really fair to say Minnesota doesnt pay, its just they dont play the trump card all the time. Look at Santana contract, the Twins offered 20 million, but he (and agent) knew New York teams would pay much more. Its the second and third contracts where the spending owners move in, one bad decision on a long tem (5 yr + deal) can hamper a franchise...see Zito.

Tori Hunter, Santana, etc.

Its not just 1 player. A pitcher that dominates like Santana only comes along once in a lifetime so if you have him you do all you can do to keep him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or