U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-08-2009, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,424 posts, read 18,556,916 times
Reputation: 10977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
We still haven't reached September yet.

It'll be over by then.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 9,033,746 times
Reputation: 4234
I'm not worried about dropping 2 in NY....both were close games, and we just came off of a sweep of STL. Pennants aren't won in May....they know this well in Flushing.

Does anyone else here find K-Rod's celebrations to be a little annoying....he's pumping his fists and yelling like its October. Too bad he doesn't bat, he needs a couple of pitches inside.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,424 posts, read 18,556,916 times
Reputation: 10977
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'm not worried about dropping 2 in NY....both were close games, and we just came off of a sweep of STL. Pennants aren't won in May....they know this well in Flushing.

Does anyone else here find K-Rod's celebrations to be a little annoying....he's pumping his fists and yelling like its October. Too bad he doesn't bat, he needs a couple of pitches inside.

He's doing that now because he'll be watching in October, not playing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,060 posts, read 18,469,553 times
Reputation: 10077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
He's doing that now because he'll be watching in October, not playing.
Yes, of course, if you say so.

Everybody knows that the Mets suck. They have no heart, they have no talent. They can't hit. Their bullpen is the worst in the league. And their starting pitching isn't worth anything at all with the single exception of Johan Santana.

So all we have to go by is what happens on the field. Three out of four games from the World Champs. Either the Mets are better than everyone will admit...or the Phillies are worse.

As to comments about who will be playing and who will be watching in October--that's a two-way street. But don't let me interfere with your Philadelphia love-fest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,424 posts, read 18,556,916 times
Reputation: 10977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yes, of course, if you say so.

Everybody knows that the Mets suck. They have no heart, they have no talent. They can't hit. Their bullpen is the worst in the league. And their starting pitching isn't worth anything at all with the single exception of Johan Santana.

So all we have to go by is what happens on the field. Three out of four games from the World Champs. Either the Mets are better than everyone will admit...or the Phillies are worse.

As to comments about who will be playing and who will be watching in October--that's a two-way street. But don't let me interfere with your Philadelphia love-fest.
Thank you. Sorry your grasp on reality, at least in this case, is tenuous. My evidence (2008 World Championship, first place in the division right now despite their many flaws) is trumping your evidence, which is speculative at best. If this happens.........If that happens........If the Mets wouldn't have folded two years in a row......you get my drift?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
 
5,168 posts, read 3,321,938 times
Reputation: 1049
It is so hilarious to watch Philly fans pump their chest over the World Series.
The City wins one championship in the last 30 years and all of a sudden it is Titletown USA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,060 posts, read 18,469,553 times
Reputation: 10077
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
It is so hilarious to watch Philly fans pump their chest over the World Series.
The City wins one championship in the last 30 years and all of a sudden it is Titletown USA.
Precisely. Then again, if you take a look at the history of the Phillies (for which you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the National League in 1876) it's understandable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,060 posts, read 18,469,553 times
Reputation: 10077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Thank you. Sorry your grasp on reality, at least in this case, is tenuous. My evidence (2008 World Championship, first place in the division right now despite their many flaws) is trumping your evidence, which is speculative at best. If this happens.........If that happens........If the Mets wouldn't have folded two years in a row......you get my drift?
My grasp of reality, as you put it, takes into account the present season. Winning the World Series in 2008 does not guarantee winning the World Series in 2009. It does not even guarantee making the playoffs--which for some peculiar reason you seem to be taking for granted. We shall see. I, personally, do not make predictions about such things--and if I decided to break my own rule, I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it in early May.

I was waiting for you to drag the 1950 "Whiz Kids" into the argument, but apparently your grasp of reality is just strong enough that you refrained.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,424 posts, read 18,556,916 times
Reputation: 10977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
My grasp of reality, as you put it, takes into account the present season. Winning the World Series in 2008 does not guarantee winning the World Series in 2009. It does not even guarantee making the playoffs--which for some peculiar reason you seem to be taking for granted. We shall see.

I was waiting for you to drag the 1950 "Whiz Kids" into the argument, but apparently your grasp of reality is just strong enough that you refrained.
Keep it up bro. And talk to me in October.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,992 posts, read 4,977,534 times
Reputation: 1008
With the Mets win, and Phills lost, the Mets are now in 1st place.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top