Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:11 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,226 times

Advertisements

And Eric Gange's, Barry Zito's, Carl Pavano, too.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:20 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Wow, I'm totally convinced he's on steroids now.

This is a vague analysis at best, and I'm not entirely sure I know what this "hack" is that you speak of - interesting that you base your assumption on something so bizarre and ambiguous.

Also, it's McGwire, not Maguire.

Other than the incident where a news station leaked the story that Pujols's name was on the Mitchell Report (and it definitely wasn't), he hasn't been connected to steroids except through pure speculation and "observation" of the kind that you've offered here. I think we should wait for some tangible evidence against Albert before we prematurely indict him for using PEDs. It's possible that he's just that damn good, after all.

Plus, it's not like Manny's name was never mentioned in connection with steroids before. Canseco himself said he was 90% sure that Manny was using PEDs of some kind, and even though he's an insufferable blowhard, he's been right most of the time so far.
Thanks for the correction and sarcasm.

I LOVE Pujols, but again, I've watched baseball long enough to [in hindsight] notice a particular "style" that underlines steroid use. I suspected it about Alex Rodriguez (and he plays for my team and I always supported him even when he was not a Yankee) and I sure as hell suspected Ramirez and I like him too. I've been right so far. I'm NOT saying Pujols does not have talent but I have a gut feeling the guy has done his share of juicing and he came into the league at the height of usage.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
My question is, why Manny for whom there is no proof of using steriods is suspended (probably rightfully) and A-Rod, who admitted use, is not suspended? Wha's up with that?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
My question is, why Manny for whom there is no proof of using steriods is suspended (probably rightfully) and A-Rod, who admitted use, is not suspended? Wha's up with that?
When the test came out it was for a study and the results were supposed to be protected.The results were going to determine if they were going to pursue more testing. This would be like doing an illegal search and then the results were tossed for that reason. The players association in conjunction with the league made that deal previously with them.After 2003 all players caught would be handled accordingly and that's why Manny is sitting out.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
I think the only safe assumption to make is that ALL players active prior to the time of the 2003 testing round were roided up. That's not necessarily a fair assumption to a lot of players, but it's probably more accurate than not in any given case.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Can we finally have a 0 tolerance rule now so I don't have to lose respect for yet another baseball player!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 AM

723 posts, read 1,633,824 times
I hope everyone who gets a pos on a roid test becomes inellegible for the HOF, and I used to root for some of them.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
When the test came out it was for a study and the results were supposed to be protected.The results were going to determine if they were going to pursue more testing. This would be like doing an illegal search and then the results were tossed for that reason. The players association in conjunction with the league made that deal previously with them.After 2003 all players caught would be handled accordingly and that's why Manny is sitting out.

Okay,, but A-Rod admitted using, after the testing. There are several others who used prior to 2003 and are now being either blackballed or investigate by the league. What is the difference?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Okay,, but A-Rod admitted using, after the testing. There are several others who used prior to 2003 and are now being either blackballed or investigate by the league. What is the difference?

No he didnt. When he got to Texas the program wasnt in place yet. He got to the Rangers in 01. He admitted to using when he first got there. The MLB testing policy went into effect in 06, so he wasnt in violation of a program that didnt exsist in 01-03. Thats why he worded the statement the way he did. He was admitting to it, only BEFORE the MLB testing policy went into affect.
Courtesy of my people at wiki... LOL

Major League Baseball's drug policy—the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program—was established by agreement between the MLB Players Association and the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball in order to deter and end the use by baseball players of banned substances, including anabolic steroids and other illegal drugs, and to "provide for, in keeping with the overall purposes of the Program, an orderly, systematic, and cooperative resolution of any disputes that may arise concerning the existence, interpretation, or application" of the policy itself. The Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program was adopted in the Spring of 2006.
While HPAC can make recommendations to the Office of the Commissioner regarding punishment, it has no power to discipline players for violations of the drug policy, except to place them in the appropriate treatment programs. Such authority belongs to the Office of the Commissioner.

And Manny was found guilty of taking a ban substance. They have proof in 2 ways, 1 they verified he had a prescribtion for the substance and 2 he told them he took it. Thats as much proof as you can get.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Perhaps I worded my question incorrectly. After testing had been instituted, A-rod admitted he did steroids prior to the testing. And he is getting a free pass. What about McGwire, Clemens et al? There careers we basically before the testing policy, yet they are being persecuted. Baseball really needs to clean up its act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball