Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Know How To Score Baseball?
Yes, I'm a baseball nerd! 49 89.09%
No, and it doesn't mean I'm not a true fan. 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times

Advertisements

I life-time baseball fan I hadn't been scoring games in a long, long time. I felt like the poster above me.

I met my current GF and took her to a few games. She's from Denmark and didn't know a thing about baseball. I explained at the games of course and decided to show her how to score a game as a way for her to learn what was going on.

It was a very refreshing experience for me. You watch the game in a different way, when you are scoring.

I don't do it all the time, but it's definitely something to do now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
My guess is that some people here are afraid to admit it that they don't know how to score a baseball game b/c they think it makes them look like a bad fan. I don't think it makes you a bad fan I'm just guessing some people are embarrassed at the fact they don't know how to score.

BTW: That would be my dream job, the Brewers Official scorer. That way CC would have had a NO NO instead of a one hitter. You know what's weird about that day in Milwaukee when CC almost had a no hitter(a one hitter) our Milwaukee scorer was out sick that day so the person who filled in was the visiting teams scorer. Needless to say he received a lot of hate mail. The brewers appealed but to no avail.

Sabathia throws 1-hitter in Brewers' 7-0 win - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
After playing while growing up and then coaching high school ball for 15 years, I better know how to score! I don't know how many kids who couldn't make the team but still wanted to be part of it that I've taught how to score so they could keep our books. They're all grown now and every now and then I'll run into one who'll tell me they still know how and have taught others how to.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Okay so I just finished reading "the joy of score keeping" and I must recommended it for any baseball fan. It was very interesting a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

I would put it in the top 20 baseball books you must read.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 AM

53 posts, read 101,358 times
I was taught the joy of score keeping by my grandpa Hal. That's the best way imo Every baseball fan should keep score at least once. I stopped doing it a long time ago.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
My Dad showed me how to keep score when taking me to Candlestick and teaching me the joys of being a Giants fan. I've never forgotten those lessons.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:04 PM

So I embarrassed my wife by taking her to a Brewers game and scoring baseball with our two big scorecards. Of course I had a bag of different colored pencils she only had a pencil.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post

There is no one single way to score a game. There are plenty of different styles but they all have the same principles. For instance, some people do a backwards K for called strikeouts while some do not. Some people use lines going around the mini diamond to show batter/runner movement while others use little bars to signify single/double/triple/home run and numbers to show following runner movement.

G Man
I circle the K if the batter goes down swinging, and do the single line thing for runner movement..

I have a lot of fun keeping score, and I like to get my adult beverages from the vendors that are walking around. They deserve tips more than the folks that are just standing at a counter.....

Gotta love those mad dashes to the restroom. I'll miss an at bat once in a while, but folks around me usually pay attention.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
forgot about this thread ... i went to watch the marlins when they were in town and was surprised when my wife wanted to keep score during the game

Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Here is a cool link to photos of scorecards of espn writers, official scorers and way back scorers.

Tim Kurkjian, ESPN The Magazine, senior writer: Red Sox at Orioles, 2011 regular-season finale - The Art of Keeping Score - ESPN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball