Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:40 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times

Advertisements

I agree Carlton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 03:00 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
The best? Koufax

my favorite ? Spahn

I followed every game of the Milwaukee Braves ( via newspaper) ftom the mid 50's and went to a neoghbor's house if the Braves were on tv. ( lived in Minnesota, we didn't have a tv)

What else is unique about Spahn is that his 20 win seasons involved many innings pitched.

My favorite pitching staff was the 57 Braves with Spahn, Bob Buhl, and Lew Burdette.

------"Spahn and Sain and a day of rain"---

I believe that quote came from the manager of the Boston Braves when asked his pitching plans with a limited staff.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:10 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,100,593 times
Koufax didn't have the longevity, but for a 5 or 6 yr run he was the best, but RJ was every bit as good as Carlton.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,120 times
As a youngster, my favorite lefty was Whitey Ford. I feel that he did not win 300 games for two reasons: 2 years in the military and Casey Stengel's 5-man pitching rotation, which was uncommon in that era. As an 8-year starter under Stengel Ford averaged 15.5 wins. After Stengel's departure he won 99 games over the next 5 seasons.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:30 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
I love Whitey as well Ridgerunner. 1961 was his year, 25-4. Sadly, his arm started to go in 1965 and by 1967 he was done. He could have pitched 5 more seasons with today's medical advancements. I wish people would consider that before you talk about who is the best ever. You have to take everything into consideration, from rotation strategy to health to time in the military. A lot of the old guys are being left out of discussions like this and shoudn't be.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:32 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Another great left hander with a very short career was Herb Score of the Cleveland Indians. He went 16-10 in his rookie season (1955) and struck out 245 batters.

His next year he went 20-9 .
Mickey Mantle called Herb score the best left handed pitcher he ever faced in the American League. Yogi Berra named Herb Score to his all time team.

In 1957, Herb Score took a line drive to the face breaking many bones and was never the same.

Herb Score said it actually was an arm injury after coming back that altered his motion and he lost his effectiveness.

Herb Score died last year on Nov 11.

RIP----------Herb Score.

( I realize such a short career is not an automatic bid for greatness, but I posted this more as a --------"what might have been"-----if not for the injuries )

Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Lefty Grove was definitely the best LHP ever. He was just as dominant as Sandy Koufax was, for a longer period of time. (His stats don't look as good because he pitched in a hitters' era in pretty good hitters' parks, unlike Koufax who had his best years in a pitchers' era in a big-time pitchers' park. Grove also played in the minors with the Baltimore Orioles for a number of years when he was a major league quality pitcher but the Orioles' owner Jack Dunn did not want to sell him to a major league club, so Grove missed some years that would have further boosted his win total. However, Grove's ERA was 48% better than the league average during his career, while Koufax' was "only" 31%, which is still spectacular.) Actually, Connie Mack used Grove as both his ace starter AND his closer, which is pretty damn amazing. Finally, Grove's career record is 300-141, a better winning percentage than any other 300 game winner (left-handed or right-handed).

My rankings for left-handed pitchers:

1) Robert "Lefty" Grove
2) Warren Spahn
3) Randy Johnson
4) Sandy Koufax
5) Steve Carlton

Honorable mentions: Carl Hubbell, Whitey Ford, Tom Glavine, Eddie Plank

Last edited by CHIP72; 06-06-2009 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 08:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
In a few years we likely will be debating Johan Santana's placement on this listing.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Marmac is right on Herb Score. He had such SUCH a future ahead of him. The guy who hit the ball was the Yankees Gil McDougald. I've read a few stories about this incident and everything points to this; if Herb Score couldn't come back from this injury and play baseball again, McDougald would retire the day Score would announce his retirement. Sadly, Score was never the same; had to change his pitching motion, wasn't the same pitcher as a result, and eventually retired. McDougald, on the other hand, retired after only playing 10 seasons of ball. I'm not so sure the incident deflated him as well. He was picked up in the 1961 expansion draft by the Washington Senators, but retired instead. He was only 31 when he retired.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Marmac is right on Herb Score. He had such SUCH a future ahead of him. The guy who hit the ball was the Yankees Gil McDougald. I've read a few stories about this incident and everything points to this; if Herb Score couldn't come back from this injury and play baseball again, McDougald would retire the day Score would announce his retirement. Sadly, Score was never the same; had to change his pitching motion, wasn't the same pitcher as a result, and eventually retired. McDougald, on the other hand, retired after only playing 10 seasons of ball. I'm not so sure the incident deflated him as well. He was picked up in the 1961 expansion draft by the Washington Senators, but retired instead. He was only 31 when he retired.
I think the incident greatly affected McDougald. I've read that soon thereafter he told a teammate, "If he loses his vision I'll quit." He had a good year in '57 but his production tailed off dramatically after that. Up until then his stats would indicate that he was a potential HOFer. He had received MVP votes in 5 seasons and could play three infield positions. As for Score, I doubt that any other pitcher was better in the first 2 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball