U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,140,875 times

Advertisements

In a few years, we'll probably be going through the pain of watching the razing of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. NOT!!!!!

Though it does give the Twins a slight advantage playing there, this park won't be missed by many with sentimental yearnings.

Only downside in vacating this place is when you drive 230 miles to see a game, you're guarenteed that it will be played and not rained out.

One other little bummer with the new outdoor stadium is the first few weeks of the season and any playoff games can get damn cold in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,659,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I dont know...I cant stand to see these old, historic stadiums go. Look at poor Yankees stadium....

http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com/wp-content/gallery/may-19-2009-removing-the-seats/5_19_09_1.jpg (broken link)

And Tiger stadium....
http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/tiger_stadium_demolition_1.png (broken link)

These are national landmarks in my opinion.

I know what you are saying, It must be hard for a local to see their famous stadium that they had watched games in as a kid to an adult be demolished. I put myself in their position and I would hate it.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,702,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
In a few years, we'll probably be going through the pain of watching the razing of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. NOT!!!!!

Though it does give the Twins a slight advantage playing there, this park won't be missed by many with sentimental yearnings.

Only downside in vacating this place is when you drive 230 miles to see a game, you're guarenteed that it will be played and not rained out.

One other little bummer with the new outdoor stadium is the first few weeks of the season and any playoff games can get damn cold in Minneapolis.
Will the new Twins stadium have a retractable roof?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Will the new Twins stadium have a retractable roof?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,070,732 times
Quote:
you are correct, which is really stupid

Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 AM

7,407 posts, read 4,088,695 times
Quote:
I think I read they will be all outdoors, Brrrrr in April and October (if they're still playing).

Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,043,737 times
Babe Ruth is dead, the Dodgers abandoned Brooklyn, and Washington no longer has an American League franchise. But there will always be a tiny shred of hope, so long as Wrigley Field stands. When they move the wrecking ball into place over on the north side of Chicago, THAT will be the long-awaited sign that the end of civilization is at hand.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I think I read they will be all outdoors, Brrrrr in April and October (if they're still playing).
Yea, and when the Twins make another world series, nowadays we're talking November too.

This spring was really cold. Those first few weeks there's no way you'd have caught me there.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM

5,216 posts, read 9,028,363 times
I'd like to see these old parks maintained as historic shrines. They really are a part of history, as they show something of the way we lived during the era when these stadiums were built. Being a Red Sox fan, I have no hometown bias in favor of Yankee Stadium, but it's awful to think it may actually be gone soon. The place is part of history. Gehrig's farewell speech alone would be reason enough to preserve the Stadium for history's sake. It shows something of who our heroes have been at various times, which tells something of our cultural history.

I've never considered Yankee Stadium especially attractive. When it was built, in the days of small, intimate, plain-looking parks, it must have seemed like a grand palace compared to many other parks of the time, but by more recent standards it has just looked to me like a fairly generic big stadium. And even though Tiger Stadium has its distinctive features, it's not especially appealing aesthetically. It was a fairly typical example of the era when most ballparks were boxy collections of girders. But this again gives a glimpse of our cultural history. The architecture we have considered appealing, or grand and imposing, or simply acceptably functional, tells something of where our culture has been at different times in our history. The tangible physical record of this is worth preserving.

Last edited by ogre; 06-10-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 09:45 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,444,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It really would have been nice if they could have retsored Connie Mack rather than moving into the Vet in the early 70s. We'd have one of the classics now. Although I love CBP and think its one of the best of the new parks.
In addition to NewToCA's comments above, Connie Mack Stadium (i.e. Shibe Park) would NOT have worked for the Phillies over the last 35+ years because:

1) It was very difficult to get to by car.

2) It was in what became in the 1960's a rough neighborhood (a neighborhood that is still rough BTW).

3) The closest Broad Street subway station (Lehigh Avenue) was 6-7 blocks away.

When you add these facts in with the lack of parking, the Phillies would have been severely hindered playing at Connie Mack Stadium after 1970. As it was, despite the fact the Phils had a poor team in 1971, they set an attendance record that year in their first year playing at the Vet. The Phillies never drew over 1.5 million (a good but not great attendance number pre-1971) before they moved to the Vet, and the A's never drew over 1 million prior to moving to Kansas City.

P.S. to NewInCA - prior to moving to the Vet, the Eagles played at Franklin Field (1958-1970). From what I've read, though Franklin Field lacked modern amenities and parking (by today's standards), the Eagles were actually happy there.

Last edited by CHIP72; 06-10-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball