Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:03 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,601,542 times

Advertisements

With the recent discovery of Sammy Sosa testing positive back in 2003, and Manny Ramirez currently on suspension for testing positive for a banned substance. With baseball records being broke by these perpetrators. I was thinking of what would be the best deterrent to cheating.

I came up with this solution. The team owner of any player caught testing positive for a banned substance has the right to terminate the contract of that player at any point of the duration of the contract. I know the baseball union will not go for this, but if they really want to clean up baseball, this might be the deterrent.

Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,960,203 times
I dont think that would be a deterrant at all. As you mentioned it would never fly also. Would the Dodgers have terminated Manny's contract? No way. Also a lot of the stuff that is coming out is from years in the past. Baseball need to move forward. I think they have by toughing up the rules. 50 games for first offense is pretty strick, thats almost 1/3rd of the season.

G Man

Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,601,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
I dont think that would be a deterrant at all. As you mentioned it would never fly also. Would the Dodgers have terminated Manny's contract? No way. Also a lot of the stuff that is coming out is from years in the past. Baseball need to move forward. I think they have by toughing up the rules. 50 games for first offense is pretty strick, thats almost 1/3rd of the season.

G Man
The Dodgers may not terminate it now, but lets say he has a drastic loss of production when he comes back for the remainder of the season. Maybe the Dodgers wont want to pay him the 20 million or so they would owe him for next year.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,561,008 times
The answer is quite simple. Stop doing what is good for sales, and do what is ethical. Get caught once, and you're done for life. It's all about money. They know Manny sells tickets, so banning him for life would cut into their bottom line.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,655,442 times
Yes. Just one very simple rule change, at the stroke of a pen. Award only two bases for a ball over the fence that is now called a home run. So brute strength is no longer an asset.

Make the big powerful sluggers earn their starting lineup spot with decent fielding and base running and smart execution, which they can't help very much with drugs. Teach the spectators to appreciate the guy who can hit a triple, or drive home a runner from first with a gapper.

The drugs will quickly go away.

Or else, bring in the aluminum bat, so even the 160-pounder can consistently hit the ball over 450 feet, so steroids will not be needed. But Im not really in favor of that.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-25-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 PM

623 posts, read 1,536,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The drugs will quickly go away.
Yeah, I'm sure pitchers never used (or use) roids. The game would be clean at last!

A ball over the fence has been deemed a home run for 150 some odd years. That's not going to change.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 AM

8,277 posts, read 23,013,167 times
I would just use his own bat to take out his knee caps!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,918,498 times
The drugs will never go away. Don't think for one second anyone in MLB really cared if they ever did go away or not. Their bottom line is the same as it ever was: Money.

For every drug test available to MLB*, there is someone in a lab somewhere who will make a fortune coming up with the next drug cocktail or masking agent to stay one step ahead. And ultimately, nobody is sorry this was happening. They're sorry so much information was leaked, and that this became the story that it did.

* All of the drug testing MLB is currently doing is worth absolutely nothing until they can come to terms on blood testing, which isn't even close to happening, and probably never will.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,655,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Yeah, I'm sure pitchers never used (or use) roids. The game would be clean at last!

A ball over the fence has been deemed a home run for 150 some odd years. That's not going to change.
Pitchers would find that using steroids would have very limited advantage against contact hitters. And that's what most hitters would become, if the home run was taken out of baseball.

Eliminating the home run would be as easy as the DH, which violated a basic principle of baseball that had been sacrosanct for a century.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:48 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,497,177 times
I can think of two alternatives just offhand:

1. Eliminate the home run. You can't hit the ball out of the park, plain and simple, so there's no particular advantage to being able to do so. Makes taking steroids meaningless!

2. Don't tamper with the home run, but permanently ban any player proven to be using steroids. (I don't know why they're not doing this now, but a policy with some teeth in it might be effective).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball