U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 AM

282 posts, read 1,164,359 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Dodger fan by any stretch of the imagination, but my Mom was. From way back in their Brooklyn days.

Is there any other voice out there that says its summertime more than Vin Scully? I can't think of one. I remember listening to him on the radio as a kid 'cuz my Mom just had to hear her Dodger games. (I'm a Yankee fan) But I just love Vin Scully. I think that's the only reason I got the MLB extra innings package. I'm already in the Yankee market.

Gotta hear Vin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,192,060 times
Don't know about more than Vin, but Phila's Harry Kalas (when on the Radio), as well as the Giants' Jon Miller (likewise) are Vin's breed of broadcaster.

Wish I could still catch O's games with Joe Angel at the mic, but they got booted to FM :>( Certainly worth the static, which I'd grown immune to years ago anyway.
Like the Yanks' Sterling, but there's a woman on there with him that makes it sound as though I have the TV volume up instead :>(

You're right, nobody can really top Mr. Scully. But luckily, he's had some very good company :>)
Give these a listen: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graph...oats/flash.htm

Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,126,031 times
I agree with both Scully and Kalas, even though Harry the K has lost something the past few years. I don't care, though- they both just have great voices for the game. Pat Summerall had that same kind of voice for football.

Is it true that Scully does broadcasts by himself, and has no color guy with him?

Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,192,060 times
True about Scully.
And true about Harry. Thing is, he's been missing that something --rather somebody -- which he'd lost.
Whitey Ashburn.

Don't wish to get into just how vile an organization the Phils are here, but to make a long story short: The color-man which Harry had the best chemistry with and requested he work with him more on air (Anderson) has zero innings with him now. The color-man Harry had a falling out with (apparently the guy did something mean to Ashburn), and requested less work with, does every inning with him now.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:31 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,978,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
I'm not a Dodger fan by any stretch of the imagination, but my Mom was. From way back in their Brooklyn days.

Is there any other voice out there that says its summertime more than Vin Scully? I can't think of one. I remember listening to him on the radio as a kid 'cuz my Mom just had to hear her Dodger games. (I'm a Yankee fan) But I just love Vin Scully. I think that's the only reason I got the MLB extra innings package. I'm already in the Yankee market.

Gotta hear Vin!
Vin Scully IS the Dodgers. He is an institution - it would be hard to imagine L.A. without him, much less the Dodgers. I hope he has an incredibly long life, but when he eventually passes on, baseball just won't seem the same. Particularly because the team (sadly notorious for getting a good start early in the season and then screwing up) and the fans as a whole (L.A. sports fans are the worst on the planet in terms of apathy and only supporting a team if they're doing well - the Lakers are the only local team in any sport that retains loyalty in bad years) don't really deserve such a class act. I'm a loyal Dodger fan but the Dodgers of today and Dodger fans really leave a lot to be desired.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:44 AM

282 posts, read 1,164,359 times
Ditto about Harry Kalas. Forgot about him.

Vin is always the voice that I want to hear when baseball season rolls around. I really wish that ESPN had let Vin do the game on Jackie Robinson Day. That would have been VERY special.

Majoun~
I agree about the some of the Dodger fans. Arrive in the 3rd and leave by the 7th. My Mom used to hate seeing that on TV. They're such a storied franchise. I just don't get it.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,126,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
True about Scully.
And true about Harry. Thing is, he's been missing that something --rather somebody -- which he'd lost.
Whitey Ashburn.

Don't wish to get into just how vile an organization the Phils are here, but to make a long story short: The color-man which Harry had the best chemistry with and requested he work with him more on air (Anderson) has zero innings with him now. The color-man Harry had a falling out with (apparently the guy did something mean to Ashburn), and requested less work with, does every inning with him now.
Well, yeah, of course he was even better when he was paired with Ashburn (Had 'em all the way, Harry...). Chris Wheeler is an insufferable dolt, and I don't understand why the Phillies inflict him on their fans as much as they possibly can. From what I heard, he was also primarily responsible for Scott Graham not being brought back.

But Harry is definitely losing it. He often loses track of counts, and I can't tell you how many times last year he got me excited with home run calls that turned out to be warning track outs. Anyway- he can still stay as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,480,775 times
Another victory for the Dodgers: Vin Scully will return in 2014 - latimes.com

Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM

72,064 posts, read 83,735,637 times
He will be with us as long as God allows it, I am sure. Yes, there are others from other teams that should be given their due rewards and help to make their teams special but the only one close to Scully might have been Harry Caray.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Vin Scully IS the Dodgers. He is an institution - it would be hard to imagine L.A. without him, much less the Dodgers. I hope he has an incredibly long life, but when he eventually passes on, baseball just won't seem the same. Particularly because the team (sadly notorious for getting a good start early in the season and then screwing up) and the fans as a whole (L.A. sports fans are the worst on the planet in terms of apathy and only supporting a team if they're doing well - the Lakers are the only local team in any sport that retains loyalty in bad years) don't really deserve such a class act. I'm a loyal Dodger fan but the Dodgers of today and Dodger fans really leave a lot to be desired.

What are you talking about? LA fans are underrated if anything. We support all of our teams well. The Dodgers have left a lot to be desired since 1988 yet the Dodgers are always top 5 in attendance and are #1 this season, even when they were 12 under. The Clippers, with how bad they have always been above most other teams in attendance as well, even in the crappy sports arena. Damn, you're as negative as they come.

There are other markets that are much worse: all of Florida, San Diego, St.Louis, Arizona to name a few. Now those are terrible sports markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball