Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Let me say this, it's never a mistake to bring baseball to any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
It was not a mistake to bring MLB back to Washington. Even though I don't think Washington will ever be a great baseball market, it still will be (and already is) a more viable baseball market than a number of markets out there, including Tampa Bay, Miami, Pittsburgh, possibly Phoenix and/or Kansas City, and perhaps a few other markets.
Name another city in the country that would put up with bad baseball as long as KC has and still draw 23k a game.

There is none.

There is not a single city out there (except NYC due to the pure size of the market) that would draw crowds over 15k after nearly twenty years of bad baseball. Not just bad, but absolutely embarrassing baseball.

As a Royals season ticket holder, anybody that calls KC a bad baseball town does not have a clue. Most Friday and Sat games draw 30-38k....for this team. The team draws small weekday crowds do to the lack of season ticket holders and the horrible location of the stadium away from the city center.

The season ticket base is small now (because of decades of losing), so now the team depends on walk up crowds.

When the Royals even hint at being competitive, just being competitive, games start to sell out.

This city is dying for a good sports team and if the Chiefs or Royals ever do anything, the city comes out of the woodwork. Too bad it's always just a tease.

The Chiefs and Royals are horrible, yet both teams draw well for their records.

No NHL or NBA either. No fun being a KC sports fan.

Having said that, it takes a very large city to support MLB. KC has a little over 2 million people. I don’t see how a city smaller than KC could support a MLB team. Milwaukee draws large crowds now, but they have a decent team.

Hang in there DC, the team will turn it around and I think DC will get out there and support that team.

I might be moving to DC and if so, you can count on a very slight increase in attendence

Will always be a KC sports fan though. Go Royals.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,642 times
I don't think it was a mistake bringing a team to DC.

DC has loyal fan's (Redskin's). I believe with the right Managers and a little luck. I believe they could possibly be a.500 team in a couple years.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I don't think it was a mistake bringing a team to DC.

DC has loyal fan's (Redskin's). I believe with the right Managers and a little luck. I believe they could possibly be a.500 team in a couple years.
Of course, there were the Washington Senators (now the Minnesota Twins).

Then, there were the Washington Senators (now the Texas Rangers).

Now there is the Washington Nationals, at least for now.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
I'd put it this way:

New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles can clearly support two teams each.

The Bay Area and Balt/Wash.....not so much.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Baseball has made so many mistakes, the decision to return it to Washington DC pales by comparison...

Putting it on TV, to start with--a medium that largely reduces the whole game to a contest between the pitcher and the batter. (You lose all the perspective from the TV screen).

The decision to play World Series games only at night, purely for the sake of television ratings. Now there's at least one generation of kids--the future fans, remember?--who haven't been able to watch the World Series. This isn't just negligent, or even short sighted. It's criminal!

A losing team in Washington? Big deal; they can always improve. How about bringing the game back to the fans? A much taller order!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:42 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
I look at it like this: The nats on average are drawing like what three times as many fans as they were in montreal. Not only that but the league did not have to realign. Nova, DC, and baltimore now have their two team market.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 PM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think there are cities that would support an MLB team more than Washington:
Buffalo
Louisville
Indianapolis
San Antonio
Nashville
Austin
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Omaha
Portland

Plus, those cities do not share a metro area with another team with deeper roots, as the Nats do with the Orioles.
Remove Nashville from this list, that's for sure.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
It is true, the main reason no one cares in the area is cause the Nats stink. Sure DC is a football town first and foremost, but it's not a lost cause (comparing with the redskins is mean cause they are legendary).

I believe that the area supports soccer decently with the United which is one of the most succesful soccer teams (could use better TV coverage though), so it can DEFINETLY do baseball.

If they get the ball rolling and have a couple of good seasons in a row, then we will probably see a change.

There is a high income bracket in the suburbs and pockets of the city, so it can be done. The city itself, meh. Afro-Americans just really don't care about baseball anymore (I don't think they have for a while).

Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Sure DC is a football town first and foremost...
Although I don't necessarily believe that bringing baseball back to DC was a mistake, your comment makes a very interesting point...

Montreal was a hockey town, which MLB chose to ignore. They actually thought they could make inroads there, which turned out not to be the case. Similarly, Atlanta isn't really a baseball town so relocating the Braves there wasn't the most brilliant of all moves.

Some other posters have used the word "roots," and that may be a clue to what the sport should consider, if it becomes necessary to relocate some other team--which I'm sure will be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball