Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

Free-agent righthander Pedro Martinez has signed a one-year contract with the Phillies, who will announce the signing tomorrow, a person with direct knowledge of the transaction said tonight.

Martinez could join the Phillies in Miami later this week to work out with the team before beginning a minor-league assignment.

Phillies sign Pedro | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/14/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20090714_Phllies_sign_Pedro.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
...and so down go the phillies.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why? For picking up a guy for cheap to see if he has anything left at all?

Chances are he's done. But if that's the case they may find that out before he ever gets through the minor league starts and joins them. There's even a decent enough chance that he'll get hurt before he ever does join them.

Or maybe he'll join them and have a little something left. Or maybe he'll join them and get clobbered, and for what they're investing in him that won't last too long.

At best they'll get something out of this since they need help for the rotation anyway. More than likely he won't be the answer and he'll be gone before he has a chance to cause them to lose any serious ground.

They're in a decent enough position right now to take a chance like this. They'll be in an even better position to do it if they land Roy Halladay. Signing Pedro is not going to make or break their season.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Are you kidding?

Even if Pedro Martinez isn't great, can you tell me he isn't an upgrade over Rodrigo Lopez or Antonio Bastardo? Besides, last I checked Joe Blanton, Jamie Moyer and Cole Hamels aren't pitching too great either.

A former Cy Young winner and world series champion who was arguably the most dominant pitcher of his time is a welcome addition to a staff whose best pitcher right now is a rookie lefthander who opened the season as a reliever.

He has experience in pennant races and I know he'll be better than he was in New York in the sheer fact he has better coaching and is in a much more professional and winning enviornment.

Worst comes to worst and he sucks, he gets cut. He was signed to a minimal contract so it's not like a lot is invested in him too.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Another washed up arm signs a one-year contract.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
That's what happens when everyone needs pitching and there aren't too many arms available. Teams take their chances with these guys who just don't want to go away. The Phillies rotation being what it is, this guy on fumes is still probably gonna be better than most of what they already have, at least until he needs surgery, and who knows when that will be?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Being a Mets fan who got to watch Martinez pitch (or not pitch, as the case may be) over the last few seasons, I was surprised that the Phillies would have wanted him. But as Twista pointed out, he's probably not much of a risk when you consider how some of those other guys are pitching.

I confess, I confess: there's nothing more I'd like to see than Martinez imploding in a Phillies uniform. But one thing at a time. First let him pass their physical and enter the rotation.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:03 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
I guess this is slighty +EV for the Phils, like others have said, if he sucks, you don't start him. I don't see any way he comes out and makes an impact down the strech however.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
If Pedro has anything left, then the Phillies appear to have done a good thing. I wouldn't judge the move completely just yet. Let's see what real impact he has on the East race.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
If the Phillies need pitching bad enough that they are willing to sign Martinez then that indicates that they aren't too happy with what they have down on the farm. So barring trading Ryan Howard and Chase Utley to Toronto for Roy Halliday *lol, I can understand the logic.

Plus from a public relations standpoint, there will be a great deal of curiosity as to how he does, which might sell a few extra tickets. And who knows? Maybe they'll catch lightning in a bottle and Pedro will be very serviceable for them for a month or two. If not, they didn't believe they had any better options in the bushes, so its kind of a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball