U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 AM

6,183 posts, read 5,000,366 times

Advertisements

Earlier today I was flipping around and they had some games from 2000 on and I noticed how much more vibrant uniforms were back then. 3 teams that came to mind were the Braves, Rays and Red Sox. All had much more detailed color design. The Braves new primary hat without the red bill is boring, the Sox new away jersies are boring as well, and the Rays new jersies put me to sleep compared to their old ones.

Even the Mets had better Unis back in the day with the all blue hat and pinstripe jersey. Remember the Reds pinstripe jersey and all red hat in the mid 90s? Those were sweet. Remember the Padres old unis with the orange bill, those new blue on blue make me yawn.

Am I alone in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 AM

358 posts, read 859,146 times
Actually, the Braves all-blue cap is only for away games. The all-blue away alternate jersey has become more of a regular away jersey, as they don't wear the grey jerseys all that often these days.

I'm a big fan of the new jerseys and caps, as I've bought both, lol.

I need to get the Sunday alternates, too, though.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,838,418 times
I think that uniforms have become a bit commercial, and may have lost some of their unique team identity. Many teams have multiple uniforms, and some of them are purely for marketing purposes, such as the "throwback" uniforms.

One team has a bit of a unique uniform though, the Padres:

http://randomcuriosity.com/img/camouflage_padre.jpg

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_im.../204509604.jpg

Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Another team I forgot about. The new Brewers jersies aren't bad but those old ones were sweeett

Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM

32,432 posts, read 59,986,890 times
Baseball uniforms used to serve one purpose: to identify the players. Now they're just another moneymaking marketing gimmick, encouraged by people who complain that uniforms aren't to their liking and who are suckers enough to buy a new jersey every time the uniforms change.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Baseball uniforms used to serve one purpose: to identify the players. Now they're just another moneymaking marketing gimmick, encouraged by people who complain that uniforms aren't to their liking and who are suckers enough to buy a new jersey every time the uniforms change.
I know what you're saying but also keep in mind the Yankees sell the most memoribilia by far and they haven't changed logos/colors/uniforms since 1903 I believe

I do think there is a cool about originality in uniforms. I would love for the Jays to go back to the powder blue, Rays to go back to their original unis, Marlins to go back to the teel hats, etc. Not that I'm a Marlins fan, but I'd be more inclined to buy one of those old teel hats. Those were sweet.

I commend franchises that have either never changed unis or haven't for a long time and if so, made very discreet changes. Remember the original D-backs jersies? Weren't those awesome?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,051,088 times
I would never change the Birds on the Bat..
its been the same forever

Old 07-20-2009, 05:24 PM

358 posts, read 859,146 times
The current Braves home uniforms are pretty similar to the originals.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,473,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think that uniforms have become a bit commercial, and may have lost some of their unique team identity. Many teams have multiple uniforms, and some of them are purely for marketing purposes, such as the "throwback" uniforms.

One team has a bit of a unique uniform though, the Padres:

http://randomcuriosity.com/img/camouflage_padre.jpg

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_im.../204509604.jpg

I agree with this post. I think there are too many alternatives, Im kinda old skool and would just simply prefer home and away jerseys.

and I hate when teams change their logos every so many years or add a little extra somthing to the logo.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM

9,072 posts, read 15,081,864 times
I am tired of the solid color jersey's. They remind me more of old softball uniforms. What I especially don't like is when teams who normally wear pinstripes pull out the solid color jersey at home, with the pinstripe pants. It looks rediculous. The Cubs have been doing this for years now, and I have seen other clubs do it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or