U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,267,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I would rather see 28 teams than 32.

Let's face it, Tampa can't draw even while winning. Florida is just as bad, I don't think their new stadium will help much there.

So: contract the Pirates and move the Rays to Pittsburgh. Don't bother building a stadium in Miami.
The population and the talent pool are expanding, and will eventually catch up. There probably ought to be a third team in NYC and LA. The Rays would be OK if their stadium was in Tampa, but nobody wants to drive across that skyway to get to and from games. Pittsburgh is giving decent support to a team that has has 17 losing seasons in a row. It might also be successful to have a swing team that playes a dozen games a year in each of existing stadiums in places like Memphis and Portland and Omaha and San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 PM

6,861 posts, read 12,288,176 times
You know I really like his plan however I too much of a traditionalist to change it. I would expand baseball to 32 teams though and call it done.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 AM

1,516 posts, read 2,350,872 times
Boy, I can't believe all the expansion proponents. That's the LAST thing I want to see happen. There are TOO MANY teams already. It's going to get to the point where making the playoffs becomes nearly impossible because of the sheer number of teams involved, and players are going to start losing interest and mailing it in more than ever before.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,267,653 times
In 1920, there were 95 million white Americans. That was the talent pool to stock 16 MLB teams, which is 8 million per team. Now there are 310 million Americansm black and white. About one fifth of MLB players are born outside the USA, so four fifths of the teams is 24, from a talent pool of 310 million, which is one team per 13 million people. Which means we could have had 30 teams in 1920, by dipping only slightly deeper into the talent pool.

It can be argued that football and basketball siphon off a lot of the potential baseball talent, but in truth, very few NBA players and not very many of the NFL playes are of a physique and a skillset that is suitable for baseball players, so there aren't really very many players in those sports that could have been baseball players today. Most NBA players and a lot of NFL players would not be professional athletes today if baseball was the only game in town. Furthermore, baseball is becoming more popular in other countries who will contribute more and more players. Just wait until China embraces the game, in 50 years they could turn out more MLB quality players than the US.

So baseball is not diluted, there is plenty of talent for two more teams, and the value of equality in league and division structure would offset a slight decline in the quality of the players, provided anybody was intelligent enough to equalize the divisions.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 5,597,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Boy, I can't believe all the expansion proponents. That's the LAST thing I want to see happen. There are TOO MANY teams already. It's going to get to the point where making the playoffs becomes nearly impossible because of the sheer number of teams involved, and players are going to start losing interest and mailing it in more than ever before.
I'd like to see two more teams. I do not think there is really too many, and I would like to see the leagues with an equal number of teams.

That said, there is a fix to the playoff problem. They could add a round of playoffs and go to 12 teams with 1st round bye for some, or 16 teams. Doing this would mean scaling back the schedule, but I wouldn't mind hacking a few games off anyway. Maybe go back to 154 games like it used to be.

I would also move to a neutral site for the series (or a pair of neutral sites). This would allow cities in warm climates, or with dome/retractable dome facilities to host the series and avoid the weather problems the northern cities face in late October.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:14 PM

731 posts, read 1,287,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I'd like to see two more teams. I do not think there is really too many, and I would like to see the leagues with an equal number of teams.

That said, there is a fix to the playoff problem. They could add a round of playoffs and go to 12 teams with 1st round bye for some, or 16 teams. Doing this would mean scaling back the schedule, but I wouldn't mind hacking a few games off anyway. Maybe go back to 154 games like it used to be.

I would also move to a neutral site for the series (or a pair of neutral sites). This would allow cities in warm climates, or with dome/retractable dome facilities to host the series and avoid the weather problems the northern cities face in late October.
With 32 teams, we can easily go back to 154 games, 6 games against every team in your league (totaling to 90 games), 4 games against every team in the opposite league (totaling to 64 games, 90+64=154).

I would expand the playoffs to 16 teams, 1st round best of 3, 2nd round best of 5, and the LCS and World Series best of 7.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 PM

6,861 posts, read 12,288,176 times
What is the most pressing issue of this whole debate is that in the NL Central you have 6 teams, yes often called The Biggest Division in Baseball. We should move HOU into the AL West so that every division is equal with 5 teams not one with 4 and one with 6.

Next time I see Bud at Gillies Custard stand I will let him know.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 AM

687 posts, read 996,339 times
I was always against contraction and hope it never seriously comes up again. I don't think expansion is a good idea, but if it does, I would put teams in either San Antonio, Jacksonville, and Salt Lake City. I say leave it the way it is now: 162 game schedule with interleague play. I would, however, add a round to the playoffs so that more have a shot. The wildcard was good for baseball.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 PM

1,516 posts, read 2,350,872 times
I guess I'm getting old, because I think all you people are nuts. Expansion will further dilute the game....contraction is the rational option.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,451,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You won't manufacture "rivalries" by putting teams in a new division every year. Rivalries are built over time by seeign a team over and over and over and over again.

I also don't see the revenue argument. Who would fans in Cincinnati rather see come to town, the Indians or the Mariners? Do you really think the Pirates would fill PNC park because the Texas Rangers are coming to town instead of the Phillies?
Do you think the Pirates would sell more tickets if they were playing Cincy or the Yankees?The revenue argument proved to be true when interleague play began a few years back.Also new rivalries pop up in all sports when you play a tem more often.If the Yanks were now in the same division as the Marlins or Braves then a new rivalry would develop.It doesn't take that long for fierce competition and new rivalries to ensue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball