U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 PM

3,169 posts, read 4,635,377 times

Advertisements

Isn't it bad enough that with the Yankees unlimited money they can buy their teams without developing them, but now after tonight their money is obviously buying the playoffs.

There are 6 umpires for the playoffs. The ONLY responsibility of the moron standing down the 3rd base outfield line is to watch where the ball lands and whether there's fan interference. Mauer's ball fell a full 1 foot fair with this slimeball sitting on his knees, without any interference by the outfielder, calling it foul. If this clown EVER is allowed to umpire another professional baseball game again it would be a travesty. I smell worse than just a bad call. NOBODY could miss this call, especially a so called "professional", sitting at the perfect angle unless he did it on purpose. Time to check out this guy's bank account.

Enjoy your win Yankees fans, your earned it, or bought it, one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times
If the umps were to somehow fix a game they would not wait for such a flukey play to do it. Its not like they could plan for Mauer to hit a ball close to the foul line. Yankees are such a better team than the Twins, AINEC.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Yeah he missed the call, that happens. I long ago quit complaining about the ump-ref-replay element because they are bound to screw up and you can't do anything about it. You just hope they aren't too frequent and they even out in the end and they usually do.

We still had bases loaded and couldn't get anyone across. If Gomez doesn't have one of his brain-farts, the game doesn't even get to extra innings. Might have been nice for Mauer, Anderson or Gardy to walk out to Nathan and say "you know, we might want to take our chances with someone other that A-Roid here with a 3 -1 count". But you go with the horses that got ya here too.

We'll get 'em next time for sure! i think...

Old 10-09-2009, 09:21 PM

I agree with Ghengis, lets talk about how many people the Twins left on base, lets talk about A Rod in the 9th. To make a thread crying about that call is ludacris.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,535,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Isn't it bad enough that with the Yankees unlimited money they can buy their teams without developing them, but now after tonight their money is obviously buying the playoffs.

There are 6 umpires for the playoffs. The ONLY responsibility of the moron standing down the 3rd base outfield line is to watch where the ball lands and whether there's fan interference. Mauer's ball fell a full 1 foot fair with this slimeball sitting on his knees, without any interference by the outfielder, calling it foul. If this clown EVER is allowed to umpire another professional baseball game again it would be a travesty. I smell worse than just a bad call. NOBODY could miss this call, especially a so called "professional", sitting at the perfect angle unless he did it on purpose. Time to check out this guy's bank account.

Enjoy your win Yankees fans, your earned it, or bought it, one way or the other.
I just got back from the game. It was a pretty bad call. The umpires have made plenty of them this year, and they have ultimately helped and/or hurt every single team in one way or another.

The Twins blew countless opportunities to take this one, so to suggest that an umpire took a payoff is completely ridiculous.

If you really think that's what is happening maybe you should just stop watching the sport entirely. If I thought that was even a small possibility I would never give the game another second of my time.

EDIT: And I am NOT a Yankee fan, by the way.

2nd EDIT:
Quote:
Isn't it bad enough that with the Yankees unlimited money they can buy their teams without developing them
Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Cano, Rivera, Melky, Gardner, Joba, Hughes... I'm sure there are even more, but to the best of my knowledge they developed every one of these guys. If they didn't, they certainly did develop most of them. Sure, the Yankees do spend a lot of money, but they aren't doing anything against the rules. If you're actually watching this series, what you're seeing is the Twins blow leads to a team that is just better than they are. It's not anything new.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 PM

BtC, you are not a yankee fan and you paid to see a post season game in Yankee stadium, you must be loaded....haha

Actually, I am interested, how was the noise when A Rod hit the HR in the 9th? Awesome you were there, had to be an amazing experience.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
BtC, you are not a yankee fan and you paid to see a post season game in Yankee stadium, you must be loaded....haha

Actually, I am interested, how was the noise when A Rod hit the HR in the 9th? Awesome you were there, had to be an amazing experience.
Who said I paid?

I actually went Wednesday and tonight. I go to sporting events all over the city. The only team I'm really passionate about at this point is the NY Giants. As for baseball, I have a great passion for the sport, but while I was raised a Mets fan I kind of don't have a team at this point; I just really love the game. Because of my job I can get to just about any sporting event in NYC, so even if I don't have a horse in the race I go to the big games. You just can't beat the buzz that's in the air.

I can say that any problems the Yankee fans had with A-Rod are in the past now. I won't remind them that he also had a great ALDS against the Twins in 2004. Let them enjoy things for now. The real test hasn't begun just yet.

So far the guy the Yankee fans have taken to the most, at least in the stadium this post season, is C.C.

The biggest surprise so far has been how empty the place was when the teams lined up during the introductions on Wednesday night. I wasn't there in time for the intros tonight, so I don't know if it was as bad. The place filled up after the first few innings, but the old stadium was definitely louder.

Last edited by BringTheContent; 10-09-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,404,067 times
Awful call. Fair by a good amount.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:51 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Awful call. Fair by a good amount.
Yes !

Sure,sure, the Twins had other ample opportunities, but the OP did make a good point about 6 umpires and the one whos sole job is to make that call blows it.

Go back to having 4 umpires.

If it works in the regular season, why change it for the playoffs ?

Especially since we could plainly see having extra umpires last night accomplished/prevented what ?

Also, I think that home plate umpire last night did a diservice to the batters on both sides with his liberal interpretation of the strike zone.

You're bound to have a great pitchers' duel ( low scoring) if you keep expanding the strike zone.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 AM

The umpires overall have done a very poor job this season and unfortunately it's carried into the playoffs. Seriously, we all love to get on the umps, but this year seems like it's been especially bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball