Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

Where are the border lines for Phiilly vs. New York fandom? Anyone looking forward to uncivil wars at workplaces where fans are in equal numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Where are the border lines for Phiilly vs. New York fandom? Anyone looking forward to uncivil wars at workplaces where fans are in equal numbers?
Aye Mattie!!

I cannot wait until I see the two powerhouses battle on the field in the Bronx Wednesday.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
There is no single answer but generally 195 is a good barometer. North of that tends to be NY fans and south tends to be Philly.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
There is no single answer but generally 195 is a good barometer. North of that tends to be NY fans and south tends to be Philly.
True, but don't forget that there are many Phillies fans in Hunterdon and Warren Counties as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
I think Trenton is ground zero for this particular series. Though Princeton University has students from all over the world, I tend to think there will be arguments there too (as well as at Rider University between Trenton and Princeton).

There is also serious mixing of Phillies and Yankees fans in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area (more Phillies fans there; across the Delaware River in Phillipsburg I think it flips) and also in northeastern PA (where the 2 teams are close in popularity and far ahead of all other baseball teams).

Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think Trenton is ground zero for this particular series. Though Princeton University has students from all over the world, I tend to think there will be arguments there too (as well as at Rider University between Trenton and Princeton).

There is also serious mixing of Phillies and Yankees fans in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area (more Phillies fans there; across the Delaware River in Phillipsburg I think it flips) and also in northeastern PA (where the 2 teams are close in popularity and far ahead of all other baseball teams).
There are tons of Yankees fans in the Poconos and the Scranton Wilkes-Barre area, as these are huge NJ (I'm fed up with the taxes) relocation areas.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
There are tons of Yankees fans in the Poconos and the Scranton Wilkes-Barre area, as these are huge NJ (I'm fed up with the taxes) relocation areas.
You're right. This will be a big series here, since Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is probably 50% Phillies and 50% Yankees. Both are about a 2 hour drive from here.

No teams other than the Phils and Yanks have a big following here. The Red Sox have somewhat of a following, but not so much for the Mets.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Yeah, I know - I grew up just over the mountain to the south of the Poconos in the Lehigh Valley (ABE area) and my parents are both from down river from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Bloomsburg and Berwick to be specific). In fact, both the Yankees and Giants have decent followings in NE PA going back to least the 1950's, regardless of the NY metro area transplant population (which I know has been significant for a long time - Monroe County in particular has just boomed from the time I was a kid 25 years ago). Actually, my father grew up a Yankees fan (and rooted for the Phils as his National League team) but follows the Phillies more now (though he's also involved in the Lehigh Valley fan club for the Yankees) - I'll have to ask him who he's rooting for in this series.

EDIT: Let's put it like this - I grew up close enough to New York to see Yankees (and Mets) games on over-the-air television growing up and I still think it's weird that the Yanks' over-the-air games are on Channel 9 (WWOR) rather than Channel 11 (WPIX) with the Mets being vice-versa. (Of course, I also grew up close enough to Philadelphia to see Phillies games on over-the-air TV too; the Lehigh Valley/ABE area is in the Philadelphia TV market.)

Last edited by CHIP72; 10-26-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
They are calling it ' The Turnpike Series"

Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
They are calling it ' The Turnpike Series"
I prefer to call it the Acela Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball