Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 AM

364 posts, read 483,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Go Phillies beat me to it. The wording I had planned was slightly different--something like "Ho hum, yet another championship bought and paid for"--but the sentiment is the same.

So what if they still have to play the games? Barring major injuries there was no way the Yankees were going to not be the champions this year once all the games had been played. Why? Because, barring some bad injuries, the best team will win once the season begins and they start playing the games. Last winter the Yankees went out and bought the best team. That revenue sharing plan is working really well, isn't it?

The only reason people like you run your mouths is because "bush league" city-data only allows adding to a rep, not deducting from it. Therefore, I will continue to call out these idiotic posts. You just saw 4 guys earn their 5th ring on the same team and we went out and bought the best team?

Someone earlier mentioned the Mets, a great example this year. Their payroll is #2 at $145 million. I have nothing against the mets, but by your logic, shouldn't there have been "no way" they'd finish with a losing season?

Need some milk with your sour grapenuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Matsui...another BUY...........yea, way to go Yanks...money well spent. Of COURSE you will get younger.. Joe Mauer...Longeria will be available soon enough...they'll all be Yankees soon...its just the way it goes in the world of baseball.

I will say this...Mariano R. is the best relief pitcher EVER in this league. He is a treasure to have on your team...That guy is just incredible and he IS homegrown.
You just contradicted yourself. We have more "homegrowns" than what you call bought players.

And as for Matsui, you're a disgruntled Yomiuri Giants fan??

Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
It's ashame the NL doesn't have the designated hitter; Matsui would look great in Phillies red!

Where ever he goes he'll add alot to that team. Class act.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Super excited about #27!! WOO HOO!!

To all my Philly peeps, sorry. It was a good World Series. Best of luck to the Phillies and their fans next season.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Super excited about #27!! WOO HOO!!

To all my Philly peeps, sorry. It was a good World Series. Best of luck to the Phillies and their fans next season.
Thanks; same time next year? Or maybe, if the seasons continues to drag on like they do, see you around Thanksgiving? Maybe the city that wins the Series can have a combined victory and T-Day parade.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Thanks; same time next year? Or maybe, if the seasons continues to drag on like they do, see you around Thanksgiving? Maybe the city that wins the Series can have a combined victory and T-Day parade.
T-day? I'm thinking if we're fortunate enough to host the WS again next year, maybe they could just move the ball to The Stadium and drop it there.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
The only reason people like you run your mouths is because "bush league" city-data only allows adding to a rep, not deducting from it. Therefore, I will continue to call out these idiotic posts. You just saw 4 guys earn their 5th ring on the same team and we went out and bought the best team?

Someone earlier mentioned the Mets, a great example this year. Their payroll is #2 at $145 million. I have nothing against the mets, but by your logic, shouldn't there have been "no way" they'd finish with a losing season?

Baseball needs a salary cap. The Yankees played by the rules. The rules SUCK. Do you understand the Mets had a MASSIVE amount of injuries no team could overcome and they are still some 60 MILLION in payroll behind the golden boys. . Oh, and you don't think 60 million more than the second team is GROSSLY out of line? You guys have a bigger difference in payroll from the second team by MORE than 6 teams have for their WHOLE payroll.

Well spent money...congrats to the Steinbrenners for knowing how to buy a team.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post

Again ..... The Yankees have the ability to keep all their good players! Most other teams don't ...

Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times

I wonder how many MLB teams have even one homegrown player on their roster from 1996? Gotta LOVE a team who keeps their homegrown nucleus -- how many of whom will be going straight to Cooperstown??

Wonder what Joe G's uniform # will be next year

Quote:
Of COURSE you will get younger.. Joe Mauer...Longeria will be available soon enough...they'll all be Yankees soon...its just the way it goes in the world of baseball.
Will they become Yankees because the tightwad owners will be to cheap to pony up? I'd be more peeved at those profit-mongers for letting these guys walk if I were a fan of them.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Again ..... The Yankees have the ability to keep all their good players! Most other teams don't ...
The Yankees developed them and therefore compensated them for their performance. It's not black and white dude. You're forgetting about stingy owners not willing to pay their players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball