Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
Quick, meaningless (other than it being kinda cool) story about Zobrist and a foul ball play in Tampa I think? Doesn't matter. He chased a fly ball to the wall in left field that drifted into the stands. He jumped up on the wall as the ball flew above the first few rows, even though he knew he had no chance at it. A kid, maybe 6, was sitting in the first row and was looking up, watching the ball go deeper into the stands...basically turning away from Zobrist, not even knowing he was there. As the kid turned back toward the field, Zobrist was still hanging over the wall, leaning into the kid's face, surprised the kid with a "Boo!" and smiled/laughed, shocking the kid whose face went . It was awesome.
That reminded me of a similiar play a few years back when Don Mattingly or Derek Jeter (i think DM)ran to the side to make a play and while the kid was following the ball father back with his eyes, he decided to grab some popcorn from the kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You're right about that....there are a few small-market teams that are very well-run and that's why they're able to be respectable without dropping a ton of cash...but still, those team's shot at winning it all is very slim. The Rays caught lightning in a bottle last year, with a good group of young guys, and it happened to be in a down year for the Yankees. I was rooting for the Rays this year, they're a likeable team, but unless they're moved to the AL Central, they don't have much of a chance at the postseason. What will be sad is when the young Rays are eligible for free agency, a lot of those guys like Longoria, Crawford, Upton, Zobrist, Bartlett, Garza, etc will probably be bought up by richer teams.
This happened to the Expos when they were around.They had great scouting and their farm system was insane.The problem was a tiny fan base.As long as they keep doing the same with their farm system,they will continue to be competitive.A better idea would be to group teams like the Yankees,Red Sox,Angels,White Sox in the american league together in one division.We do get into bidding wars sometime with the Red Sox so by putting us in one division we can duke it out and the smaller market teams can contend with similiar markets.Same for the national league. As for Matsui,I forsee him possible returning but for about 7 million a year (maybe a 2 or 3 year deal).This actually opens the floodgates for a possible run at Matt Holiday if they don't go after Damon.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Look, what you're asking for... dozens of times each day here... is not going to happen. Nevermind the part where about 90% of the "facts" you use to make your case are just plain wrong... It's never going to happen because MLB is a business and business is good. They're not going to change anything to accomodate you. While I can't tell you what to post, and you can do this here over and over again for the rest of your life, you really are wasting your time. You would be better off bringing something to the table that might actually get done in this game, or if the current state of the game offends you so much, maybe you should consider giving it up for a while.
Here are some "facts", from another great article on a topic that, according to you NY and East Coast sheltered types, nobody cares about.

Quote:
In 2002, the Yankees spent $17 million more in payroll than any other team.
In 2003, the Yankees spent $35 million more in payroll than any other team.
In 2004, the Yankees spent $57 million more in payroll than any other team. I mean, it's ridiculous from the start but this is pure absurdity. Basically, this is like the Yankees saying: "OK, let's spend exactly as much as the second-highest payroll in baseball. OK, we're spending exactly as much. And now ... let's add the Oakland A's. No, I mean let's add their whole team, the whole payroll, add it on top and let's play some ball!"
In 2005, the Yankees spent $85 million more than any other team. Not a misprint. Eight five.
In 2006, the Yankees spent $74 million more than any other team.
In 2007, the Yankees spent $40 million more than any other team -- cutbacks, you know.
In 2008, the Yankees spent $72 million more than any other team.
In 2009, the Yankees spent $52 million more than any other team.

My, this sounds familiar..maybe you got there ahead of me..

Quote:
I think this Yankees money fatigue is very real. As soon as you start talking about it, people turn off. What we're talking about this again? Or, as indignant Yankees fans, they get angry: "Oh man, you're not going to talk about the Yankees MONEY thing again, are you?"

Whatever, the inequities that exist in MLB's current payroll structure, highlighted by the Bankees yearly attempt to buy a World Series, are not good for the game. It's a subject that may not be spoken about in NY but I assure you it's very much alive in the rest of the country...and will remain that way until the gross competitive imbalance is addressed.

Read more: The*best team money could buy - Joe Posnanski - SI.com

Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Here are some "facts", from another great article on a topic that, according to you NY and East Coast sheltered types, nobody cares about.
This is exactly why nothing you say is going to matter. It's not personal, you seem like a decent person, but when you start out by calling me one of those NY and East Coast sheltered types I'm not going to even bother. Maybe you can try this again on another thread. I'm done with this one.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,673 times
Quote:

Whatever, the inequities that exist in MLB's current payroll structure, highlighted by the Bankees yearly attempt to buy a World Series, are not good for the game. It's a subject that may not be spoken about in NY but I assure you it's very much alive in the rest of the country...and will remain that way until the gross competitive imbalance is addressed.

What competitive imbalance? In those years you quoted the Yankees won 1 title and appeared in 2 series. There were 7 different champions (of 8) and 12 different teams competing in the World Series (of 16). That is excellent balance any way you slice it.

Again, I am not sure why people care about what the Yankees spend since it obviously does not translate into titles.

Does the NFL have a competitive balance problem? After all, in those same 8 years they have had only 5 different champions and the same 12 different teams in the Super Bowl.

Instead of bashing the Yankees maybe you should focus your ire on your team's ownership for not being committed to winning in the same way the Yankees are.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM

111 posts, read 235,181 times
Quote:

So, you're concerned that it's "unfair" that the Yankees have more money than other teams and can, therefore, get better players. Yes, and if my neighbor has more money than me, he can get a bigger house and nicer car. It's called capitalism, and while it may lead to inequities, I don't hear anyone calling for an end to it. It only seems to bother people when it comes to sports, and, particularly, baseball. Deal with it.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Yeah, okay Joe McCarthy, but the NFL, NBA, and NHL all have salary caps.
Missed the point.

All of those sports have non-competitors. Those teams are below the salary cap. Not even near the salary cap actually. Some are 50% below. They don't compete.

If there is any difference in payroll, there is a disparity of fairness (according to your school of thought). So what would your solution be?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:10 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
OK, I'll side with Upton here a bit.

Pointing out that Minnesota or Oakland have intermittently been successful is accurate, but to me the main issue is retaining assets. Once a team like Minnesota or Milwaukee is successful, the star players become too expensive to retain, and they tend to end up with the big payroll teams.

Ever hear of a guy named CC Sabathia?
Minnesota's owner, Carl Pohlad is the wealthiest owner in sports. He could sign anyone he wants, he simply chooses not to.

Lew Wolff, the A's owner also owned the Warriors. He's not exactly struggling to get by.

None of these owners are strapped for cash. They need to have considerable assets to be approved for ownership. Any of them could pour more into their teams if they cared.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
None of these owners are strapped for cash. They need to have considerable assets to be approved for ownership. Any of them could pour more into their teams if they cared.
Which is why "small market" is mostly a smokescreen term. The real issue isn't how much money the owners have. The real issue is ratings points.

I am nostalgic for the days when baseball was a sport, as opposed to a television production. But I resign myself to the reality of the situation.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
St.Louis kinda throws this argument out. I still think there should be a salary cap however St.Louis ha s the second most World Series and they have won them b/c they know how to win!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball