U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:02 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

33,582 posts, read 22,836,310 times
Default Lots of Phillies Fans are pissed at Lee leaving because I think..

everyone here has seen what Lee can do in the postseason and on a national stage like the WS. Halladay on the otherhand has not shown what he is capable of doing in the postseason which is why the 3 year deal is so confusing to many in the Delaware Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,154,469 times
I don't know what's confusing,the Phillies lied.They tried selling the fact that Lee wanted more money and wasn't willing to negotiate so they traded him for probably the best pitcher in baseball who was willing to extend his contract. Unfortunately Lee went public and outed Philly management on their lies.The fact is that ownership preferred Halladay and shouldn't have lied about it.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

33,582 posts, read 22,836,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I don't know what's confusing,the Phillies lied.They tried selling the fact that Lee wanted more money and wasn't willing to negotiate so they traded him for probably the best pitcher in baseball who was willing to extend his contract. Unfortunately Lee went public and outed Philly management on their lies.The fact is that ownership preferred Halladay and shouldn't have lied about it.
Well i hope hallady can be that ace that phillies management is expecting

Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,154,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well i hope hallady can be that ace that phillies management is expecting
Have you never seen Halladay pitch? Guy is a class act,a great mentor,and he is thrilled to be playing for a contender.He also winds up completing more games then any pitcher I know which makes it easier on the bullpens.Barring any freak injuries,he's the best in baseball and his lack of playoff experience will not be a factor.The guy also never loses his cool.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,503,732 times
Halladay is better than Lee.

If I was a Philly's fan I'd be on cloud nine. Two WS in a row and now added one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Status: "19 million views. Thanks, everyone!" (set 1 day ago)

36,237 posts, read 19,035,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Halladay is better than Lee.

If I was a Philly's fan I'd be on cloud nine. Two WS in a row and now added one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball.
....and still substracted another. Really. Imagine having Lee and Halladay if something different could have been worked out.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,305,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
....and still substracted another. Really. Imagine having Lee and Halladay if something different could have been worked out.
Just Imagine how good the Mariners will be next season, I'd put a Felix Hernandez/Cliff Lee tandem up against any in MLB.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
everyone here has seen what Lee can do in the postseason and on a national stage like the WS. Halladay on the otherhand has not shown what he is capable of doing in the postseason which is why the 3 year deal is so confusing to many in the Delaware Valley.
I loved Cliff Lee, and it would have been great to have a staff with the both of them...but, the Phils are not the Yankees, and even though they are probably in the top 5 payrolls in baseball, there's not unlimited money. They did try to trade Blanton rather than Lee, but there were no takers. And don't forget, they have a LOT of players on this team that will be free agents within 2 years...Rollins, Howard, Victorino, Werth, Hamels, etc etc etc. That's going to be a lot of money and some tough decisions.

And in reality, Halladay is better than Lee. Halladay is more than likely the best pitcher in baseball.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:20 PM

2,500 posts, read 1,594,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And in reality, Halladay is better than Lee. Halladay is more than likely the best pitcher in baseball.
And when an athlete on the level of Halladay tells you that he's willing to sign with you, you do whatever you have to do to get it done. Lee is in a different place in his career, and Halladay IS better.

It's kind of funny now to hear the fans of the teams that lost in the Halladay sweepstakes talk about how they didn't really want him anyway, because he was going to be too old for their team if he signed any kind of an extension.

When you can get an elite performer like this and KEEP him, you get him, and you worry about three years from now later. Something tells me three years from now he's still going to be elite.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:02 PM

6,183 posts, read 2,243,471 times
Losing Lee is kind of bittersweet but Halladay is a stud.

The thing that irks me is Lee was complaining about how he thought he was going to finish his career in Philly.

Well right after he got traded last July Lee said he wanted to test the market in 2010.

And the Phillies weren't exactly planning on having a Pirates-esque fire sale this season.

He has no one to blame but himself.

Don't expect others to know you're bluffing, especially now when a better pitcher is willing to sign an extension at a cheaper price.

I love what Lee did for us and wish him the best of luck but he put himself in this situation.

Maybe he'll go back on his word again and bolt from Seattle after 2010 and the Phillies can bring him back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball