Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
A-Rod's $33M would rank him 10th in CEO pay, in 2005 he would have ranked 34th. Things have been tough on CEOs lately.

CEO Compensation - Forbes.com

Forbes.com: Forbes Executive Pay
If you look at 5 year annualized averages it smooths out the bumps that occur from exercising options etc. For example, look at the guy that was #1 this year....he averaged about 12mil a year the previous 4 years then got a big payout. His 5 year average is probably right with A-rod when you throw in endorsements.

I also charitably ignored the endorsement money which is a direct offshoot of their play and should in all fairness be added to their salaries as well.

Point being, baseball players make CEO money or darn close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 06:52 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I already stated it. Maybe you need to skim through the posts again. If you have a problem with me, let me know. I feel the troll exuding from your fibers.
NA.. I just have a problem with a fan calling his team "we" and "our" ...like they have anything to do with it. Oh, and if you don't think spending more money helps make better baseball teams, think again. It may not work in all cases or every year, but it sure does help put teams in a better position to win. I DO agree with you on one thing though. All teams can spend money..most of these owners are multi billionaires ..if revenue hoarding is occurring then I have no sympathy. However, the Bankees bring in more revenue by far than any other team, thus they have the ability to spend more. Lets face it, its been that way for a long time.

That said the Giants this year proved a smaller market team CAN win...provided they get out of this world pitching. Pitching beats everything ...hitting, fielding, and big payrolls.

But don't worry Bankee fans, they will throw the kitchen sink at Lee, and Crawford, overpay for Riveira and Jeter...and you guys will just EXPECT it to be done because that is exactly what Bankee fans do. Its a sort of "fan entitlement" and Bankee fans have cornered the market on that although there are few teams catching up quickly...

Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
NA.. I just have a problem with a fan calling his team "we" and "our" ...like they have anything to do with it. Oh, and if you don't think spending more money helps make better baseball teams, think again. It may not work in all cases or every year, but it sure does help put teams in a better position to win. I DO agree with you on one thing though. All teams can spend money..most of these owners are multi billionaires ..if revenue hoarding is occurring then I have no sympathy. However, the Bankees bring in more revenue by far than any other team, thus they have the ability to spend more. Lets face it, its been that way for a long time.

That said the Giants this year proved a smaller market team CAN win...provided they get out of this world pitching. Pitching beats everything ...hitting, fielding, and big payrolls.

But don't worry Bankee fans, they will throw the kitchen sink at Lee, and Crawford, overpay for Riveira and Jeter...and you guys will just EXPECT it to be done because that is exactly what Bankee fans do. Its a sort of "fan entitlement" and Bankee fans have cornered the market on that although there are few teams catching up quickly...
See this is what i'm talking about. These are troll hater words. Even though I want "MY" team to win every year, it's good to see someone new if they can't. I supported Texas in the series solely because they had never won one but the fact SF won doesn't bother me because it has been a long time for them too.
As far as the money issues go, Rivera and Jeter will be compensated for being lifelong Yankees, and just like an excellent employee they will be taken care of because of their hard work and loyalty to the organization. Also for being good role models and not scandalous. The Yankees will pursue Lee but I don't think Crawford will be a high priority for them and they will just put the feelers out to see what his asking price is. Considering how the Yankees have been used in the past to drive up prices, Cashman is much more quiet of his intentions and pounces at the last minute so we don't pay through the nose. Does spending more help? Sometimes it definitely can. Is it the only reason we win? Hell no. Based on the current rules of MLB, why should the Yankees not go after any free agent they want? Are any owners net worth less than $500 million? This means they too can spend what they want but choose not to. Do the people (including myself) as Yankee fans have a sense of entitlement? No, we don't. We just know that our ownership will try its best to mesh our homegrown talent with available free agents. Most good teams do this but some don't do it as well. The one thing you do have to stop doing is believing that the Yankees are a 100% free agent team. There are probably as many guys that came up through our organization on this years team as most other teams in the league. Off the top of my head: Cano, Jeter, Ramiro Pena, Posada, Cervelli, Gardner, Thames, Kevin Russo, Juan Miranda, Nick Johnson, Mariano, Pettitte, Hughes, Joba, Robertson, Albaladejo, Ivan Nova and there are probably a few more relief pitchers and maybe others that aren't coming to mind at 8:45 am.

Last edited by Lancet71; 11-06-2010 at 07:05 AM..

Old 11-06-2010, 09:14 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
NA.. I just have a problem with a fan calling his team "we" and "our" ...like they have anything to do with it. Oh, and if you don't think spending more money helps make better baseball teams, think again. It may not work in all cases or every year, but it sure does help put teams in a better position to win.
These statements contradict each other.

On the one hand you are saying that fans don't help their teams win

On the other you are saying that having more money helps teams win

Fans give the teams money ergo fans help the team win.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
See this is what i'm talking about. These are troll hater words. Even though I want "MY" team to win every year, it's good to see someone new if they can't. I supported Texas in the series solely because they had never won one but the fact SF won doesn't bother me because it has been a long time for them too.
As far as the money issues go, Rivera and Jeter will be compensated for being lifelong Yankees, and just like an excellent employee they will be taken care of because of their hard work and loyalty to the organization. Also for being good role models and not scandalous. The Yankees will pursue Lee but I don't think Crawford will be a high priority for them and they will just put the feelers out to see what his asking price is. Considering how the Yankees have been used in the past to drive up prices, Cashman is much more quiet of his intentions and pounces at the last minute so we don't pay through the nose. Does spending more help? Sometimes it definitely can. Is it the only reason we win? Hell no. Based on the current rules of MLB, why should the Yankees not go after any free agent they want? Are any owners net worth less than $500 million? This means they too can spend what they want but choose not to. Do the people (including myself) as Yankee fans have a sense of entitlement? No, we don't. We just know that our ownership will try its best to mesh our homegrown talent with available free agents. Most good teams do this but some don't do it as well. The one thing you do have to stop doing is believing that the Yankees are a 100% free agent team. There are probably as many guys that came up through our organization on this years team as most other teams in the league. Off the top of my head: Cano, Jeter, Ramiro Pena, Posada, Cervelli, Gardner, Thames, Kevin Russo, Juan Miranda, Nick Johnson, Mariano, Pettitte, Hughes, Joba, Robertson, Albaladejo, Ivan Nova and there are probably a few more relief pitchers and maybe others that aren't coming to mind at 8:45 am.
All that's fine and dandy, but the truth is the Yankees literally buy access to the playoffs. And you defintely do have a sense of entitlement, something that comes with winning due to the fact you have the highest payroll year after year after year..

I've told you in the past, that if the Giants ever won the WS, I would know they earned it, not bought it. And so it finally came to pass this year. All four pitchers that dominated the Rangers in the WS are homegrown. You'll never be able to say the same about your purchased staff. Which, next year, will no doubt include Cliff Lee, as the Bankee's yearly buying spree goes forth.

You know, in a way, I actually feel sorry for you and all Yankee fans because you will never experience the kind of indescribable joy that I and all Giants diehards felt last Monday night...I still feel great. For when it comes to championships, the Giants earn them, the Bankees buy them.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I give up my man. You win..you are hell bent trying to convice us spending more money doesn't matter. You fail to see the fact teams who send money are always in the mix. They may not win it, but they always give themselves a chance. My complaint is BANKEE fans expect the money to be spent like its entitled to them...and now Red Sox fans and Phillie fans are right on the wagon too. How dare my team not spend millions on free agency to improve...whats wrong with our management!!

Last edited by jp03; 11-06-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
These statements contradict each other.

On the one hand you are saying that fans don't help their teams win

On the other you are saying that having more money helps teams win

Fans give the teams money ergo fans help the team win.
Eh..you missed this one totally I guess. I don't recall ever saying anything about fans helping teams win or not. I was pointing out that Lancet refers to the Bankees as my team and "we" when referring to the team he roots for.

I DO give the Bankees credit for spending money they have on the team and not hording it like some owners. However, that creates a 2 tier league ...the haves and have-nots.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
I give up my man. You win..you are hell bent trying to convice us spending more money doesn't matter. You fail to see the fact teams who send money are always in the mix. They may not win it, but they always give themselves a chance. My complaint is BANKEE fans expect the money to be spent like its entitled to them...and now Red Sox fans and Phillie fans are right on the wagon too. How dare my team not spend millions on free agency to improve...whats wrong with our management!!
See this is where you are slipping. You refuse to read the words; all of them. Does spending help? Yes it definitely can play a factor. But is it the sole factor a team wins? Definitely not. Good choices by GM's, whether it's acquiring an average guy at a discount price, or a good player underachieving because he might be surrounded by bad people. This is why Cashman and his staff and our previous GM's are very underrated. Guys like Brosius, Charlie Hayes, Swisher, and Jose Molina are great examples of role players that totally helped the organization. Even a decent guy like Paul O'Neill (who was acquired in the Roberto Kelly trade with Cincy) was a great trade made by our team, and the fact that we recognized his potential over RK's means our scouts are doing a great job too (I know this was before Cashmans time). By the way, if you are so petty on the fact that I call them my team, than maybe you need to take a look at your own life and determine why this is such an issue for you. Try smiling in the mirror, or getting a hobby. Maybe a companion for yourself would be a step in the right direction. Now i'll go back to analyzing MY TEAM and MY PLAYERS to determine who WE will be going after this upcoming season. Maybe i'll watch MY STEELERS monday night. Hopefully MY Islanders can bounce back from their current funk.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Eh..you missed this one totally I guess. I don't recall ever saying anything about fans helping teams win or not.
Quote:
NA.. I just have a problem with a fan calling his team "we" and "our" ...like they have anything to do with it.
So, if you believe that the money that the Yankees spend contributes to their winning, and the fans contribute the money to the Yankees, then the fans most certainly contribute to the winning.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, if you believe that the money that the Yankees spend contributes to their winning, and the fans contribute the money to the Yankees, then the fans most certainly contribute to the winning.
Well, it IS an interesting point you make. By being so popular they do of course generate more revenue. But that still then makes it a league of haves and have nots.. right? I just dont think that is the way to go for any league with equal or so called equal combatants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball