U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:03 PM

7,957 posts, read 7,226,911 times
Default Why do fans of bad small market teams always use $$$ as the excuse for their poor results?

It comes up quite frequently how tons of fans for bad small market teams like the Giants or Padres for example, do nothing but claim about the major advantage of larger market $$$.I am constantly hearing about how well they supposedly draft and develop players (because you know bigger markets don't do this----"Sarcasm"),as if their whole roster was homegrown. The funny thing is you never hear this from fans of the Twins or Marlins(for example). Now why is this? Could it be the fact that some small market teams are just doing it much better then others? When they need a free agent they analyze their team properly and make offers accordingly instead of just pointing fingers. These are the teams that would excel in a balanced system with a hard cap. In the opposite corner are again teams like the Giants and Padres(for example) who like every other team develop SOME players but make alot of poor free agent choices then point fingers,BUT NEVER TURN DOWN REVENUE SHARING $$$.My team will continue to do what it has been doing.We will develop quality, make good trades,and find proper role players(free agents) when needed. Now this is a hot topic which is voted on almost ever year,but these same owners vote down the hard cap every time! So my question to the oblivious fans of these teams is why aren't you pointing the finger at your owners instead of the teams that are working within the rules of the league? If you don't like it,your teams can easily fix it.If your hypocritical owners voted down revenue sharing and voted for the hard cap 2 things would happen.1-Everyone would be functioning with nearly the same $ with NO extra money being spread around;and 2-these complainers would wind up 20 games out with losses on balance sheets.
***The power is in the hands of your organizations.If they do nothing, you can't fault my team.So try and point the finger at the one who is at fault,your owners; otherwise just shut up! Jealousy is a very ugly thing!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Status: "something is happening here, but you don't know what it is" (set 27 days ago)

8,930 posts, read 6,276,204 times
Like it always is, it's quality and not quantity.

I know when the Twins suck the money we pay our players is of such poor quality that the players become sad and they don't play as good. Generally, in those instances, the successful teams' money was better (first dibs apparently) and their players were happier and had better gloves, bats and uniforms.

Now that the Twins have found better quality money (crisp and new not wrinkly and limp) the players are happy and are playing better. Try paying your players in Euros (or crackers) and they too will become despondent and not try as hard.

Unread 02-13-2010, 07:51 AM

412 posts, read 82,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

I know when the Twins suck the money we pay our players is of such poor quality that the players become sad and they don't play as good. Generally, in those instances, the successful teams' money was better (first dibs apparently) and their players were happier and had better gloves, bats and uniforms.

Now that the Twins have found better quality money (crisp and new not wrinkly and limp) the players are happy and are playing better. Try paying your players in Euros (or crackers) and they too will become despondent and not try as hard.
Huh?????

Unread 02-13-2010, 08:04 AM

5,263 posts, read 3,532,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TextingTexan View Post
Huh?????
<3 Ghengis. Lol

@Lance, I think this thread is reactionary to Upton bumping old Yankee threads just to hate on them and the current economics of the MLB.
As I have said before, I understand both sides, Yankee fans saying--we have some home grown talent and who cares if we spend money on free agents, we work within the system to win. For the Yankee haters--its pure math, look at the payrolls it seems pretty obvious.

However what often does not get said by the proper side is, for Yankee fans, yes you do spend the money on quality free agents, but you are often out bidding those other teams you say "are not going after them." I am sure plenty of teams wanted Texiera or CC, but their offers were not as high as the Yankees, so therein lies an advantage ( I am not saying every other MLB team bid for those players, but I know my Whitesox made offers to FAs that ended up with the Yankees).

And the Yankee-haters are usually over-emotional about the issue and completely ignore the fact that the Yankees are just doing what it takes to win, and that, in isolation is not a charachter flaw of the orginization. Their beef is often more with the system/structure but its misguided onto the NYY.

Unread 02-13-2010, 08:41 AM

412 posts, read 82,653 times
The key word here is jealousy. When the Yankees were dominant in the pre-free agency era, the haters blamed it on their having more money. If a salary cap is ever implemented, the same rationale will be used. There is no substitute for good managment. My Rangers spend too much on offense and not enough on pitching, and this why we're a third-place club.

Incidentally, since installing salary caps the NBA and NFL have had far more repeat winners than MLB. As Casey Stengel used to say, you could look it up.

Unread 02-13-2010, 09:14 AM

7,186 posts, read 5,084,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It comes up quite frequently how tons of fans for bad small market teams like the Giants

Hey Yankee apologist, the Giants are not a small market team. I believe the Bay area is classified as the 5th largest market in MLB...

Apparently you are classifying everybody that doesn't buy championships and throw money around like some greedy corporate fat cat with an endless supply of cash as "small market"

Obviously you are in need of a little schooling. True small market teams are, for example, Cincinnati , Pittsburgh, and KC.....get the idea now?

Btw, do you think any of those clubs that I mentioned have a chance in hell of making the playoffs? You know the answer as well as I do...meaning, despite what apologists such as yourself may claim, w'ere not playing on anything even remotely resembling a level playing field. Which is plain and simple working to the detriment of baseball.

Unread 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM

40,061 posts, read 17,461,275 times
When Tampa Bay made their surprising run at the playoffs the year before, had they spent money in stratospheric amounts? I don't believe they did, which should've given the lie to dollars = success. But, let's be honest: it's easier to fault the team that spent more money than to develop a successful organization.

Unread 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM

5,263 posts, read 3,532,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
When Tampa Bay made their surprising run at the playoffs the year before, had they spent money in stratospheric amounts? I don't believe they did, which should've given the lie to dollars = success. But, let's be honest: it's easier to fault the team that spent more money than to develop a successful organization.
Classic sampling bias

Unread 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Hey Yankee apologist, the Giants are not a small market team. I believe the Bay area is classified as the 5th largest market in MLB...

Apparently you are classifying everybody that doesn't buy championships and throw money around like some greedy corporate fat cat with an endless supply of cash as "small market"

Obviously you are in need of a little schooling. True small market teams are, for example, Cincinnati , Pittsburgh, and KC.....get the idea now?

Btw, do you think any of those clubs that I mentioned have a chance in hell of making the playoffs? You know the answer as well as I do...meaning, despite what apologists such as yourself may claim, w'ere not playing on anything even remotely resembling a level playing field. Which is plain and simple working to the detriment of baseball.
Thank you,i'm glad you responded.Every year you can obtain free agent role players and especially lately at a discounted price. Don't hate the teams that abide by the laws,hate the laws or hate your own team that doesn't put winning as a highest priority.I compare the Giants to a small market team because they act as if they were a cinncinnatti or a kc.Call it baiting but I got you into the conversation.By the way,I spent many years in the air force with alot of them in the midwest and I am very much aware of the difference between small and large markets. Minnesota by the standards is a small market team,but they are fighting for the division every year,why is that? They are a well run organization,that's why. Your team acts like the small market teams and complains about finances and points the finger at the Yankees.Here's the thing,you're not in the AL East and the only way you would face us is if you made it to the series.Now considering that you barely win the division as is,maybe you need to concentrate on that first,otherwise you're just a hater. So face it, it is all about jealousy and your organization is just poorly run and CHEAP!

Unread 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Another thing to look at is that not everyone wants to come to NY.Clemens got a HUGE contract and went to Toronto when we actually bid more for him,and we know how that worked out (0 rings). I don't hear you mentioning the Red Sox either.They actually paid over $50 million to the Japanese club just for the right to negotiate with Dice -K.The other thing about last years team was that we had alot of contracts drop off.Now if we would have resigned the Giambi's,or Pavanos;we never would have heard a word from you but for the same YEARLY money (actually less)we made some major upgrades.Is it wrong if I give you $80 million and you go for garbage and I get quality? Everyone wanted to concentrate on the total value of all the contracts which was over $400 million but that amount was NOT being paid out last year,and most of it will be drawn out 6-8 years. The media just had to throw that number out to the public when they knew individuals like you would make an issue of that.Alot of money,yes;but quality for the same price as underachievers--BARGAIN. That's what a smart organization does. They are alotted so much for free agents,and get the best ones for the specific budget. By the way,it just proves my point again that you don't hate the teams that spend more then yours,just the Yankees. A scrub like Milton Bradley making what he does,and your not complaining.I guess whoever signs a guy like that is dumb. That's what makes the Yankees different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball