U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM

660 posts, read 793,883 times
I last did both of those things sometime back in the early 1990's, I'm ooollllddddddd.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM

1,928 posts, read 1,871,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
I think that baseball USED to be a lot more exciting to follow, listen, watch and participate in. The early 90s, perhaps the 80's, is when talent and good character seemed, IN MY OPINION, to be replaced with bad character and scandal. There has always been scandal in baseball, but I don't think any scandal was as damaging to the integrity of the game as the steroid era. Though I can not put a finger on it, star players today just don't have that same ring as those of decades ago. Maybe that's just my age talking.

-COM
I'm going back to the 60'sand 70's. Yeah it was exciting to see a game with Mays or Aaron waiting for that homer. Pete Rose knocking over the catcher. How would Billy Buckner manufacture a hit. Who would Bob Gibson hit with a pitch. Suicide squeezes. The Bird. The Mad Hungarian. It was exciting and entertaining.

Now it's all about the money so everyone is sooooo cautious. And right on about the integrity of the game and the players. It's makes me sick that they have tarnished the name of the greatest sport.

But I still love it. Just not in the same way I did growing up.

Unread 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM

169 posts, read 147,467 times
as has been said, I think baseball is only boring if you understand it on a superficial level. There are so many intricacies and nuances that go into the game that most people miss....stuff that you really have to watch the game in person to see. Arguably, baseball places more emphasis on statistics than any other sport, but a lot of them are quite complex. I'd recommend reading Moneyball by Michael Lewis that really describes the stats end of it and how we've changed the way we evaluate players over the past decade or so. It's pretty mindblowing stuff, even for a stat geek like me

Being a die-hard red sox fan, I also love the book "Watching Baseball" by our legendary player/broadcaster Jerry Remy. This book really gets into the subtleties of what goes on in the field, how hitters and fielders respond to different counts, etc. Definitely a good read!

Unread 03-26-2010, 05:09 PM

9,732 posts, read 5,251,671 times
I'll start by stating that I do not believe that anyone has an obligation to enjoy or be repulsed by any particular form of entertainment. Thus the question...is baseball boring...has only correct answers. Those who find it uninteresting will be bored by it, those who think it engaging will not find it boring.

I suspect that baseball tends to attract fans more oriented to thinking/particpating with opinion, than it does those who prefer the action faster paced. Baseball fans may have a bit more ego in that the fans themselves become part of the attraction. With plenty of time between pitches, and the majority of pitches not being put into play, the baseball fan fills the gap with conversation...observations and opinions. My experience was always that the conversations would wander a bit...a situation where some team has made an extreme shift for a powerful pull hitter starts a discussion of the merits of the strategy, leading to a discussion about which players in the past were defensed with extreme shifts, leading to a discussion of who was the best at overcoming the shift...etc etc.

Sometimes you are talking with the people that came with you, and sometimes the fans around you get drawn in as well. One of my favorites took place at an A's game when in the 8th inning, a batter stepped into the box and the Diamondvision board noted that so far he had popped out in the second, stuckout in the 4th and grounded out in the 6th. I offered the idea that he now just needed to flyout to complete making out for the cycle. My friend argued that the flyout was already covered by the popout and that he would need to foulout to complete the cycle. Then someone sitting nearby said that the foulout would also count as a flyout...and that making out for the cycle should be a much harder and more rare thing...groundout, flyout, strikeout...and technical out, the last being things such as called out for departing from the basepath or interfering with a defensive play. Then someone else turned around and said that it should be groundout, flyout, strikeout...and thrown out on the bases. Which caused someone else to argue that getting thrown out once at each base would be the true making out for the cycle.

Other such high level discussions I have particpated in at the ballpark include who belongs on the All "OOOOOOOooooooo" Team. This was composed of only those players with an "OOO" sound in their name such as "MOOOOoooose" Skowren or Vida "BlOOOOOoooooo" or "GOOOOOOooose" Gosage. (With the obligatory "That's not "boo", that's "LOOOOOOOOOoooou" from the announcer.)

Do those sorts of discussions take place at football and basketball games?

Those sorts of discussions are part of why I am a baseball fan. Sometimes it is boring, but it always lends itself to overcoming that.

Unread 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM

8,961 posts, read 7,033,363 times
"Okay so I don't think Baseball is boring and never thought baseball is boring but yet I still meet a lot of people that say baseball is too boring to watch. "

Like all commercial sport that use overpaid people (I won't call them athletes) it's all boring to watch.

Now the Olympics with REAL athletes that's true sports to me!

Unread 03-26-2010, 05:45 PM

6,623 posts, read 10,477,322 times
If Baseball were that of a board game, it would be RISK.

If football were that of a board game. it would be that of Candyland.

Unread 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM

984 posts, read 920,177 times
Baseball isn't boring. Nor is cricket.

Only boring people get bored.

Unread 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,048,396 times
Baseball fan in training here.

Note; I love football, it's essentially war. Plus the short season provides added suspense.

Now I am growing to enjoy baseball while accepting one unique thing.

IT'S A FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT SPORT! It's one that is slower paced and a lot more subtle. I like appreciating the mind games between pitcher and batter. Second guessing the rotation vis a vis the other teams specialties. It probably would be best to go see a game one time though as you can't see the whole field.

Naturally, in the age of strong sluggers, it's kind of hard for me to see the appeal of games where ptiching was the dominant force in winning games. But need I digress.

I've sampled all major sports including soccer. Although I have only really taken to football and basketball I never diss the others. Because they are all different, and if you aren't an athlete and dissing any sport cause of it's intensity or skill level, you are talking out of your bum hole.

Unread 04-01-2010, 12:56 AM

4,588 posts, read 8,766,034 times
every sport could be called boring or exciting,

baseball- too long inbetween pitches and batters like to back away from the plate after every pitch and undo his batting glove, or managers making their way to the mounds, things like that that can take away from the action of the game

football- too muny rushes that only get a couple yards, if that, too much time inbetween plays, too many punts, things like that, if you think about it, the ball is only in play for a short amount of time compared to how long the game takes to be played and commercials.

hockey- not enough goals being scored,hitting the puck around alot back and forth,things like that

basketball- has the most intensity but gets boring with foul shots and timeouts, especially at the last couple minutes of a close game when its foul after foul and 2 minutes turns into 6.

Unread 04-02-2010, 11:03 PM

4,925 posts, read 5,478,915 times
Not boring. There's something happening in every position before, during and after each pitch.

This thread reminds me of something I heard nearly 50 years ago...baseball is like church. Many attend, but few understand.

I tend to think those who find it boring may not understand it as well as they think. It's not as straightforward as it seems...and that's part of the beauty of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball