Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:19 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
^ Good Point! Baseball is a sport where a ton of people listen to games on the radio vs only watching it on TV. When was the last time anyone listened to a football game on the radio. Also their is a whole culture of people who love to watch a baseball game on mute and listen to their favorite radio personality such Harry Carey or Bob Uecker. Although I fear digital TV and Satellite will ruin this aspect of the game.

Their is something to be said about grilling out on a Saturday while you listen to the ball game in the backyard or sitting on a boat somewhere listening to the game.

YouTube - Letterman - Artie Lange and the Cough Button

YouTube - Letterman - Norm MacDonald's Bob Uecker Story
Those are great.

Reminds me of a great Bob Uecker quote. I know it's a little off-topic and tame in comparison to these clips, but still one of my favorites:

"I always thought the knuckleball was the easiest pitch to catch. Wait'll it stops rolling, then go to the backstop and pick it up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
"I always thought the knuckleball was the easiest pitch to catch. Wait'll it stops rolling, then go to the backstop and pick it up."
LOL! I have heard that one before as well. I think every year he tells that one. I love Bob in Major League as well.
I like this one by Bob:

"Well, a couple of grand slammers and the Brewers are right back in this one."—Uecker during the 8th inning of a game the Brewers were losing 8–0

Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Regarding the question, MC, it's all open to different perspectives. Some people might be indifferent to the pace of games. People that are passionate about baseball might not care one way or another how fast or slow the pace of the game is, as long as there's strategy and skill and drama. Other folks, of course, want the games sped up, but in the end, what good would that do if it were to affect the sport adversely? In my opinion, baseball is no more boring than golf is. And baseball is still my favorite sport.

Last edited by case44; 02-19-2010 at 06:21 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I can see why people think baseball is boring, sometimes it can be, it is also more exciting with beer which alot of things are, but baseball was my first love and I still love the game, we dont have a sports team here in New Mexico but I grew up playing baseball with the neighborhood kids. I cant wait for baseball season to start, I love attending the triple A games here.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
A lot of detractors point out perceived faults in the game while baseball fans talk mostly about warm feelings associated with the game...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:09 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
A lot of detractors point out perceived faults in the game while baseball fans talk mostly about warm feelings associated with the game...
What are some of these "faults"?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
I wrote my college thesis on baseball as an art form...so I think that shows where I stand...

Old 03-17-2010, 01:11 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
What are some of these "faults"?
Did you read the article?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,784 times
I think that baseball USED to be a lot more exciting to follow, listen, watch and participate in. The early 90s, perhaps the 80's, is when talent and good character seemed, IN MY OPINION, to be replaced with bad character and scandal. There has always been scandal in baseball, but I don't think any scandal was as damaging to the integrity of the game as the steroid era. Though I can not put a finger on it, star players today just don't have that same ring as those of decades ago. Maybe that's just my age talking.

-COM

Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
IMaybe that's just my age talking.

-COM
When was the last time you traded baseball cards or pretended that you were your favorite player hitting a home run?

I think it is your age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball