Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think best staff 1-5 is a dead heat between the Phillies and Yankees...the Red Sox staff is good, but they lack an overpowering ace...Beckett is not what he used to be.

Phils:
Halladay
Hamels
Blanton
Happ
Kendrick/Moyer
homer pick much? lol Halladay of course. Hamels hardly had a great year last year. The rest, well the bright side is Happ is young and promising.

Sorry I just don't see how you could think the Phillies are anywhere close to the Mariners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Just took a quick and dirty look at some rotations using various projection methods, here's the results (in no particular order):

TEAM - Fielding Independent Pitching - Projected Starter Innings
PHILLES - 4.04 - 928
GIANTS - 3.79 - 817
MARINERS - 3.95 - 844
YANKEES - 3.80 - 948
RED SOX - 3.85 - 860
WHITE SOX - 4.24 - 818
DODGERS - 3.95 - 695

Unfortunately, it looks like the Yankees rotation leads the pack. They are as talented as the Giants, and project to pitch a lot more innings, which means that a bullpen made up of guys who couldn't make it as starters (plus the Rivera's of the world) doesn't have to pitch as much.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
I think best staff 1-5 is a dead heat between the Phillies and Yankees...the Red Sox staff is good, but they lack an overpowering ace...Beckett is not what he used to be.

Phils:
Halladay
Hamels
Blanton
Happ
Kendrick/Moyer
Halladay is a given but the rest of your rotation is in question. Most guys will probably do well but you're looking at best case scenario. They don't have long track records so there's no guarantees.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Just took a quick and dirty look at some rotations using various projection methods, here's the results (in no particular order):

TEAM - Fielding Independent Pitching - Projected Starter Innings
PHILLES - 4.04 - 928
GIANTS - 3.79 - 817
MARINERS - 3.95 - 844
YANKEES - 3.80 - 948
RED SOX - 3.85 - 860
WHITE SOX - 4.24 - 818
DODGERS - 3.95 - 695

Unfortunately, it looks like the Yankees rotation leads the pack. They are as talented as the Giants, and project to pitch a lot more innings, which means that a bullpen made up of guys who couldn't make it as starters (plus the Rivera's of the world) doesn't have to pitch as much.

Yeah well, considering Giants starters had 985 IP last year (3rd in MLB) well ahead of the Yankees 935 IP (19th ).. I don't take those projections very seriously. In fact, they're downright laughable..

Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sabathia
Burnett
Pettitte
Vasquez
Chamberlain (or Hughes)

*I think our top 4 are the best and i'm not sure how the 5th spot will play out so if i'm going by the top 5,i'd pick the Red Sox.

I dont know but Having 2 and possibly 3 #1 starters in the first 3 spots on your roation far outweighs this Yankee roatation.

Sabathia is a beast, and Andy post roids is decent, Burnett is goning to be up and down as he was last year and every year before.
Vasquez is an innings eater, thats proven! The dude can throw, but pitching in the NL vs those line ups vs pitching in the AL east is a world of difference. Did anyone besides me see how CLiff lee utterly dominated the NL in the post season? I dont care what anyone says about Hughes, until he proves it on the field he is more hype than anything else. Joba is a solid #4. I think his best work comes out of the pen.

I dont know but Having 2 and possibly 3 #1 starters in the first 3 spots on your roation far outweighs this Yankee roatation. Look at Beckett, Lester and Lackey. Then you throw in Matsuzaka and Buckholz and or Wakefield. Top to bottom every guy in that roation can win 18 games (questionable for Bucholz).

Vasquez is an innings eater, thats proven the dude can throw, but pitching in the NL vs those line ups vs pitching in the AL east is a world of difference. Did anyone besides me see how CLiff lee utterly dominated the NL in the post season? I dont care what anyone says about Hughes, until he proves it on the field he is more hype than anything else. Joba is a solid #4. I think his best work comes out of the pen.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Phils:
Halladay
Hamels
Blanton
Happ
Kendrick/Moyer
Besides haliday what do you really have Philly? Thier stupidity in getting rid of Cliff Lee is amazing. Cole Hammels was a train wreck waiting to happen last year. The dude is afraid of the big time it seemed. The rotation was such a concern they went and got Pedro Martinez at seasons end to help if that tells you anything. I would take the Yanks starting 4 over that entire Phils line up. Halliday is the ONLY one you could call dominant.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
1) Beckett
2) Lester
3) Lackey
4) Dice-K
5) Buccholtz
6) Wakefield

If Dice-K is healthy, then I see these two staffs as being pretty equal

For 1-2

King Felix and C Lee is hard to beat
Seattle would be smart to sign Lee long term. I think those 2 are the best 1-2 punch in all of MLB and its not even a close 2nd. Philly could have been a BEAST with Halliday and Lee in the NL east!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yeah well, considering Giants starters had 985 IP last year (3rd in MLB) well ahead of the Yankees 935 IP (19th ).. I don't take those projections very seriously. In fact, they're downright laughable..
Yes, because your approach of taking last years end results, and assuming everything will stay the same is flawless.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I only calculated the top 5 starters for each team.

For the Giants I included Bumgarner who's only projected for 70 innings. That's some of the disparity.

The Giants top 5 starters last year had 894 innings. I projected them for 816. If you give Bumgarner an extra 80 innings (for a total of 150) then their innings for 2009 and projected innings for 2010 are almost identical.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Previous season success is really a moot point, ask the Rays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball