Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Get Rid of the DH?
Yes 18 54.55%
No 15 45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
It's one unified league under MLB, having different rules for one sect of the unified league is...well bizzare. It would be like the EC in the NBA having no 3 point line, or the NFC having a longer play clock in the NFL. I think a professional sports league should have consistency in respect to keeping a level playing field.
So, since you are such a fan of consistency, why do you not think that the rules regarding players should be consistent?

8 positions on the field must play their defensive position and swing the bat
1 position on the field fields his position
1 batter bats and sits on the bench

Where is the consistency in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, since you are such a fan of consistency, why do you not think that the rules regarding players should be consistent?

8 positions on the field must play their defensive position and swing the bat
1 position on the field fields his position
1 batter bats and sits on the bench

Where is the consistency in that?
I have no idea what you are saying here.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
A catcher has to catch and bat
A first baseman has to play first base and bat
A second baseman has to play second base and bat
A third baseman has to play third base and bat
A shortstop has to play shortstop and bat
A left fielder has to play left field and bat
A center fielder has to play center field and bat
A right fielder has to play right field and bat
A pitcher has to pitch...
A DH ... has to bat

Two of these things are not like the others. The DH, by its nature, is not consistent with the rest of the rules of baseball

Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I like the DH and it eliminates a potential gimme in the 9th spot for the pitcher. Why don't they just automatically give you an out every time the 9th batter comes up too. Batting orders are supposed to be for hitters not automatic outs.Very rarely are there many good hitting pitchers each year.
That's because pitchers stop hitting when they are in the AL and they'd rather focus on pitching in the NL. Pitchers are usually great athletes growing up. I don't know how many times I've seen a pitcher in high school bat over .400 only to stop hitting completely when he goes in the minors.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
A catcher has to catch and bat
A first baseman has to play first base and bat
A second baseman has to play second base and bat
A third baseman has to play third base and bat
A shortstop has to play shortstop and bat
A left fielder has to play left field and bat
A center fielder has to play center field and bat
A right fielder has to play right field and bat
A pitcher has to pitch...
A DH ... has to bat

Two of these things are not like the others. The DH, by its nature, is not consistent with the rest of the rules of baseball
I got what you were trying, and failing, to say, just saying its not relevant. Consistency between the AL and NL is one thing, but I never said every player on the field should be responsible for the same thing. Or else I would be griping about why does a pitcher have to throw x amount of balls each day where the RF may only see 1-2 balls the entire game.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:31 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,100,593 times
this went about the way I thought it would go, fans of the AL like it and fans of the NL hate it, if the NL adopted the rule most or all would really grow to like it in short order IMO.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
I grew up watching American League ball. And I used to like the DH. No more. It's gotten to be too much of an unfair advantage for hitters versus pitchers who pitch in the AL. We give non-position players way too much credit these days. An even playing field would make for a better playing field.

Ditch the DH. ... Now.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I got what you were trying, and failing, to say,
Quote:

I'm confused by anyone who is in favor of a DH but not in favor of what I mentioned here. Or maybe they are confused

Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
this went about the way I thought it would go, fans of the AL like it and fans of the NL hate it, if the NL adopted the rule most or all would really grow to like it in short order IMO.
And if the AL ditched the DH then all AL fans would quit watching baseball and the MLB would be out of business before the Yankees could win another championship? Doubtful

I believe that the NL will eventually adopt the DH. I just hope it's after I'm dead. And my kids are dead, and their kids, and their kids if they are born before I die.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM

319 posts, read 634,391 times
Quote:

The MLBPA would much prefer to have another player per team earning full time pay instead of bench pay.
And this is why the NL will adopt the DH before the AL quits using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball