U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,839,296 times

Advertisements

Fangraphs, right on time

Comparing FIPS and xFIPS Using Batted Ball Distance | FanGraphs Baseball
by Jeff Zimmerman - November 22, 2010

Quote:
There seems to be some decent correlation between how far a pitcher allows a fly ball to fly and his xFIP-FIP difference. In other words, pitchers that allow the ball not to be hit as far, don’t allow as many home runs (duh), therefore their FIP value is much lower than their xFIP

The two main points I need to explore further are:

1. I need to get the park factors nailed down for the batted ball distance. I need to adjust every fly ball’s distance.
2. Once that is down, I need to see if there is any correlation from one season to the next for a pitcher’s fly ball distance.
Point #2 is the important one.

Can pitchers repeatedly induce weak flyballs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Well then, we'll stick with the AL......If Hallady is the best...why did he only win one AL Cy Young in over 10 years? I'll sit back and wait for some excuses..

Again..let Hallady (career ERA 3.43) go out and prove he's better than Lincecum (career ERA 2.90)...

Speculation means nothing..
Halladay ERA since entering the NL:
484 innings, 40-16, 2.40 ERA, 6.75 K/BB, 14.7 WAR, 1 Cy Young, 36 first place votes, 21 2nd place votes, 431 points

Lincecum since Halladay entered the NL:
429 innings, 29-24, 3.08 ERA, 2.78 K/BB, 9.3 WAR, 0 Cy Youngs, 0 first place votes, 0 2nd place votes, 9 points

Proven?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:34 AM

7,185 posts, read 5,630,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Halladay ERA since entering the NL:
484 innings, 40-16, 2.40 ERA, 6.75 K/BB, 14.7 WAR, 1 Cy Young, 36 first place votes, 21 2nd place votes, 431 points

Lincecum since Halladay entered the NL:
429 innings, 29-24, 3.08 ERA, 2.78 K/BB, 9.3 WAR, 0 Cy Youngs, 0 first place votes, 0 2nd place votes, 9 points

Proven?
Weird filihok, just now answering a post I made before the 2010 season. Waiting until the stats were more to your advantage? Or just wanting to use only stats accrued in the NL as a metric?

Perhaps I should follow your example and prolong my response until say..after the 2013 season, maybe the stats will have turned more Lincecum's way by that time.

Halladay's a great pitcher....btw, how many WS victories does he have? How many WS have the Phillies won since Halladay joined them?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 AM

11,215 posts, read 7,283,682 times
Quote:
Halladay's a great pitcher....btw, how many WS victories does he have? How many WS have the Phillies won since Halladay joined them?
Ernie Banks' teams never played a single post season game, he must have been a really lousy player.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Ernie Banks' teams never played a single post season game, he must have been a really lousy player.
Ernie Banks? LOL Next you'll be bringing up Billy Williams and Ron Santo.

Whoever said Halladay was a lousy pitcher? He's been great during the regular season..and when facing the Reds come playoff time..

I would argue though that when Lincecum faced Halladay in game 1 of the 2010 NLCS, he set the tone for that series by beating him..

Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
Quote:
Weird filihok, just now answering a post I made before the 2010 season. Waiting until the stats were more to your advantage? Or just wanting to use only stats accrued in the NL as a metric?

Perhaps I should follow your example and prolong my response until say..after the 2013 season, maybe the stats will have turned more Lincecum's way by that time.

No offense Upton but he picked final season stats. It's not like he waited for a good performance vs a bad one. Also judging by world series wins is ridiculous. If one guy played all position then it would make sense but obviously they don't. You can't win games if your team doesn't score runs and usually MOST pitchers at bats don't decide the outcome of games. They can only contribute by throwing a good game. If you want to come back next year and do the comparison again feel free. Just don't cherry pick a week where Lincecum had a better outing than Halladay. It's a bit obvious and lame.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Well, prior to the 2010 season many people pointed out that Halladay faced a different class of players than Lincecum did (both in terms of the hitters he faced and the pitchers he was competing with for the Cy Young) . To which you responded, "speculation means nothing". Now, after Halladay has pitched two seasons in the NL and we don't have to speculate how he might perform then you claim I was waiting until the stats were in Halladay's favor.

In your mind you must win a lot of arguments.

Last edited by filihok; 11-19-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
No offense Upton but he picked final season stats. It's not like he waited for a good performance vs a bad one. Also judging by world series wins is ridiculous. If one guy played all position then it would make sense but obviously they don't. You can't win games if your team doesn't score runs and usually MOST pitchers at bats don't decide the outcome of games. They can only contribute by throwing a good game. If you want to come back next year and do the comparison again feel free. Just don't cherry pick a week where Lincecum had a better outing than Halladay. It's a bit obvious and lame.
Well, I can see why you have a special affinity for the Phillies. After all, they've gone your favorite team's route in attempting to buy themselves a World Series title..

Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 AM

11,215 posts, read 7,283,682 times
Quote:
Ernie Banks? LOL Next you'll be bringing up Billy Williams and Ron Santo.

Whoever said Halladay was a lousy pitcher? He's been great during the regular season..and when facing the Reds come playoff time..

I would argue though that when Lincecum faced Halladay in game 1 of the 2010 NLCS, he set the tone for that series by beating him..
Did you not grasp the point being made? The proper way to evaluate a player isn't based on the performance of his teammates. Nor is the proper way to evaluate players a focus on some isolated samples of their performance while neglecting the rest of their careers.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
Quote:
Well, I can see why you have a special affinity for the Phillies. After all, they've gone your favorite team's route in attempting to buy themselves a World Series title..
Boy you are lost. I liked Halladay when he was with Toronto. So the fact that you are losing this argument, you stray and poke some jabs at the Phillies and Yankees. HOW LAME !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball