Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,058,387 times

Advertisements

Overall it wasn't a bad year. 4 straight division titles is hard to accomplish. And what made this one all the more amazing was all the adversity they faced: injuries to seemingly the entire roster, the emergence of another division rival, etc. They were buried in the standings as late as June and showed their true heart and character by kicking ass and taking names in the second half.

But there is some concern for next year: the clutch hitting is still awful. Werth has to be the worst and he's the 5 hole hitter.
There is no true leadoff hitter: Rollins swings for the fences every time and Victorino swings at the first pitch way too much. Neither takes a respectable amount of walks either.
Age: no projected starter is under 30. Outside of Dom Brown no big name prospect will be ready to play in the big leagues by 2011.
Bullpen: Madson and Lidge are the best relievers. That in itself is a scary thought. I remember telling myself if the Phillies have a small lead I'd rather let Oswalt, Halladay or Hamels throw 200 pitches than put one of those clowns in.
Looking at it the window may be closed and Atlanta should be a favorite to win the east but then again I don't think Atlanta can match the heart and tenacity of this Phillies team. Should be an interesting year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,058,387 times
I wasn't blaming Howard entirely and in the end 2 runs in 7 innings is good enough to win the overwhelming majority of the time.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:35 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,766,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Kind of feel sorry for Ryan Howard. Called out on a close strike to end the season.
Welcome to the Carlos Beltran club.
That was the greatest feeling ever! Loved every second of it!

Old 10-24-2010, 04:25 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,266,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
But there is some concern for next year: the clutch hitting is still awful. Werth has to be the worst and he's the 5 hole hitter.
Werth lead the team in win probability added. By substantial margin. But, he'll be out of your hair next year so you won't have to worry about him.

Quote:
There is no true leadoff hitter: Rollins swings for the fences every time and Victorino swings at the first pitch way too much. Neither takes a respectable amount of walks either.
Victorino walks almost exactly at the league average rate
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1677_OF_season_mini_3_20101003.png (broken link)

Quote:
Bullpen: Madson and Lidge are the best relievers. That in itself is a scary thought. I remember telling myself if the Phillies have a small lead I'd rather let Oswalt, Halladay or Hamels throw 200 pitches than put one of those clowns in.
Ryan Madsen was 20th among all relievers in WAR/IP. He's a very good relief pitcher. Lidge is pretty average.

Quote:
Looking at it the window may be closed and Atlanta should be a favorite to win the east but then again I don't think Atlanta can match the heart and tenacity of this Phillies team. Should be an interesting year.
I expect Philadelphia to be very good for the next few years.

Last edited by filihok; 10-24-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,040,834 times
filihok:
Quote:
Victorino walks almost exactly at the league average rate
Do by chance have the data for the walk rates and OBA of the leadoff hitters from all the NL teams? Might not comparing Victorino to them be a better way to evaluate the matter than comparing him to everyone in the league?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,766,038 times
What a big upset by the Giants! Media did not Giants any chance of winning the series. I am so happy we are in the WS again.

Cody Ross = MVP. He owns the Phillies!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
filihok:

Do by chance have the data for the walk rates and OBA of the leadoff hitters from all the NL teams? Might not comparing Victorino to them be a better way to evaluate the matter than comparing him to everyone in the league?
Major League 2010 Batting Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

Leadoff hitters had a cumulative OBP of .329
Shane Victorino had an OBP of .327

Leadoff hitters had a cumulative BB/PA of 8.03%
Shane Victorino had a BB/PA of 8.18%

Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,939,879 times
What are the chances Werth is not a Yankee by late November? Even if they don't really want him, should the Red Sox pretend to be interested, they will offer more than any other team would ponder? I went to a Met-Phils series this year, and all surrounding Phils fans, who were recurring season ticket holders, seemed resigned to the fact he would be gone, and Brown would play RF. Now by 2014, perhaps Brown stats mirror Werths' best years, but by 2011..probably not. Nor Gloads'.

I suspect being typical Yanks early exit for them = $30 mill add'l payroll/year.

The interesting thing for the Braves will be adapting to a new manager. They have terrific pitching, and good OBP, with probably the slowest team in the NL, and the kids coming up will not be modifying that drastically.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
What are the chances Werth is not a Yankee by late November? Even if they don't really want him, should the Red Sox pretend to be interested, they will offer more than any other team would ponder?
Werth is no higher than 5th on the Yankees' list. Behind: Cliff Lee, re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, and Carl Crawford.

Quote:
I went to a Met-Phils series this year, and all surrounding Phils fans, who were recurring season ticket holders, seemed resigned to the fact he would be gone, and Brown would play RF. Now by 2014, perhaps Brown stats mirror Werths' best years, but by 2011..probably not. Nor Gloads'.
I(with the help of a few other projection systems out there)'d project Domonic Brown for something like a:
.260/.320/.460 line next year.

Werth put up:
.296/.388/.532 line.

Brown should be better than Ross Gload.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,787,186 times
Bottom line: The Giants did not win this series, the Phillies rolled over and died and LOST it. The Phillies hitting sucked, end of story. The Giants are not a World Series caliber team and will be demolished by the Rangers. Texas in 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball