Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times

Advertisements

all 162 count so all are important - the ones toward the end of the season can seemingly mean more because it's an indication of how the team looks after some in-season tinkering, playoff push, withstanding the grind, etc

as for the nats, they'll probably not have a great record this year - but they are building a good team - they have some good potential with starting arms and they continue to have some live bat potential on that team ..... the pen is a big question mark

they don't have enough top line talent to compete in a very tough NL east - however, if things break their way I could see them win 70+ games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
TVSG, my question to you in this thread is as follows: when was the last time a team's record in April decided the season for them?
It did for the Phillies for a few seasons pre-2007 before they became a playoff team....the Phils always had bad Aprils, and then would finish just a couple of games out of the playoffs. No matter what some may say, early season games are just as important as September games.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
TVSG, my question to you in this thread is as follows: when was the last time a team's record in April decided the season for them?
My point is they are now playing to WIN!!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Watch some Nationals games. They always play to win. They always have. Like I said, in 2005 they were nearly 20 games over .500 and were in first place at the All-Star break. They are a team with a lot of limitations, but that doesn't mean they haven't been trying all along.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
They're doing pretty well so far. There's not really a team in the NL that's really standing out right now, so as long as that happens, the Nats can get in the thick of things. They've also got a GM who knows what he's doing, and from what I've seen, he's creating excitement among the fans.

Quote:
Buddy, it's not like they didn't play to win in recent years. They have good, young talent that's going to come around. And the starting pitching is going to be better than most people think.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
They're doing pretty well so far. There's not really a team in the NL that's really standing out right now, so as long as that happens, the Nats can get in the thick of things. They've also got a GM who knows what he's doing, and from what I've seen, he's creating excitement among the fans.

Buddy, it's not like they didn't play to win in recent years. They have good, young talent that's going to come around. And the starting pitching is going to be better than most people think.

It' hard for me to say they played to win when they lost a 100 games. a 100 losses means they were out there laughing

Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
Quote:
It' hard for me to say they played to win when they lost a 100 games. a 100 losses means they were out there laughing

Do you really believe that? They just sucked. That was the problem. They didn't have good players.

Now they have better players and and winning more often. That's it.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You are an entertaining poster. I really do mean that. You probably generate more response than anyone else here, and that keeps the forum active and interesting. But a lot of the time I have to wonder if you actually watch any games. That's not meant to be an insult. People get their sports information in a lot of different ways in this day and age. But just reading that this team won or that team lost, or just looking at a box score; it doesn't tell the whole story.

Bad teams lose to good teams. Bad teams lose to other bad teams because in every game someone has to lose. That makes it hard for a bad team to compete. Over a small sample of games you will see things break from that format, but sooner or later water seeks and finds its own level again. Bad teams try just as hard as good teams. They're just not talented enough to win enough games during the course of a season to compete. To say they're not trying or they're out there laughing is just 100% incorrect.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
How Washington fares later in the year will also depend on how the other teams in the division do. Atlanta and Philly will contend, as will the Marlins, but still, you never know as time goes on. I can't really count on the Mets being in the thick of things this year, so the Nats have to take advantage of that. It is something.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
How Washington fares later in the year will also depend on how the other teams in the division do. Atlanta and Philly will contend, as will the Marlins, but still, you never know as time goes on. I can't really count on the Mets being in the thick of things this year, so the Nats have to take advantage of that. It is something.
And if Wang can join them and be close to what he was for the Yankees when he was healthy, that will be a huge upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball