Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 09:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Mr Harper overrates himself.
How so?

He's thought since he was a teenager (maybe earlier) that he was going to be a MLB star

He is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,391 times
I'm not a fan of bean balls or violence, so the stupidity of today's "basebrawl" is much too obvious to me.

Though, I can, in a way, understand Harper's reaction.

But, an undermentioned moment in the brawl was Giants' players Mike Morse and Jeff Samardzija smashing into each other while rushing in to join the brawl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm96NKeqfx4

More evidence how stupid all of this is. Hopefully no one was injured.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Andrew Baggerly:
Giants catcher Buster Posey
What was Strickland’s intent? To go in?
“That was the pitch, a fastball in.”
Why didn’t you try to stop Harper from charging the mound?
Well, after it happened I kind of saw Harper point and the next thing you know he’s going out after him. There’s some big guys tumbling around on the ground. You see Mike Morse is as big as they come and he’s getting knocked around like a pinball. It’d be a little dangerous to get in there sometimes.”

Buster, an extra scoop of ice cream for you at home tonight.
Posey has never been an emotional player and the above is in keeping with his pragmatic approach to his profession. His candor seems admirable, how many guys are willing to admit that he thought a teammate was in the wrong? Because of the everyone-piles-on ethic of baseball fights, animosity between two players turns into warfare between two teams. Buster broke with this tradition.

I wonder how understanding his teammates are?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:04 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Posey has never been an emotional player and the above is in keeping with his pragmatic approach to his profession. His candor seems admirable, how many guys are willing to admit that he thought a teammate was in the wrong? Because of the everyone-piles-on ethic of baseball fights, animosity between two players turns into warfare between two teams. Buster broke with this tradition.

I wonder how understanding his teammates are?
You're right.
But I didn't hear him say he thought his teammate was in the wrong..
Anyway on mlb twitter people were mad at Buster but that probably won't last.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
You're right.
But I didn't hear him say he thought his teammate was in the wrong..
You quoted it in your previous post.
Quote:
Well, after it happened I kind of saw Harper point
Isn't that Posey saying that he felt Harper was justified in going after Strickland?

Posey is one of the few players who never hides behind cliches in interviews. He has always been pretty diplomatic in his honesty so as to avoid generating controversies, but he makes an effort to answer the question rather than duck it with the usual blither blather.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Posey was level headed and played it well. He has a great future after his playing days end. I hope he stays with MLB in some way.

I understand Harper's reaction. I'm think the helmet would probably still be in my hand when I reached the mound, but I think Harper just threw it away - not at Strickland.

The Morse collision was kind of funny. WHO can knock MORSE down!?
If Posey, at 6'1" and 215 pounds wants to stay out of it, it was pretty rough.

What did they have to do, lock Strickland up?........ He looked way out of control. Appears to be a hothead.

I would never pitch at someone on purpose. You're going to hit a few guys in the course of a career, but the idea is to get them out, not put them on base or cause an injury.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

I understand Harper's reaction. I'm think the helmet would probably still be in my hand when I reached the mound, but I think Harper just threw it away - not at Strickland.
It looked to me as though his intention was to throw it at Strickland, but it slipped from his hand in mid-arc and sailed away.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:31 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,738,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It looked to me as though his intention was to throw it at Strickland, but it slipped from his hand in mid-arc and sailed away.
That's my take too. Strickland _IS_ a hot head. Not very smart. It was a stupid and selfish act.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:48 PM

As of today the Giants have but two players with OPS+ of 100 or greater. Posey is at 159, Belt is at 113. Everyone else is performing at a below average rate.

The outfield has been especially bad. Of the ten outfielders the Giants have used who have the most plate appearances, they collectively have averaged a 41.6 OPS +.

Do they make up for it with their gloves? The opposite is the case. While Posey and the infielders are all above replacement level defensively, for the outfield it has been:
Marrero 0.0
Pence 0.0
Parker -0.2
Hernandez -0.9
Calixte 0.1
Span -0.4
Ruggian -0.3
Stubbs -0.1

But they do have a 75 million dollar closer.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:31 PM

In Philadelphia, Hunter Strickland, who is appealing his six game suspension, made his first appearance today since his ejection for hitting Harper.

He came into a 1-1 game in the 8th with two on and no one out.

He got the three outs, but not before allowing both inherited runners, and two more of his own, to score. The big blow was a bases loaded double which brought home all three runners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball