U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2010, 03:59 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,554,631 times

Advertisements

We all know that the Marlins have some of the worst attendance in MLB,sometimes you can find a Triple A team with more fans in the stadium.

How well do you think they will do when they get the new stadium, it looks great but I dont understand why the fans dont support the team, its a young team with 2 World Series Championships and still no love.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,433,367 times
Its not a baseball area. Even an exciting team and winning doesnt bring the fans out consistently. When they get a new park, you will see a rise in attendance that will quickly wane.

G Man

Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM

8,164 posts, read 9,684,900 times
the new stadium will help a lot

it's a miserable place for a game, difficult to get to, a giant football stadium with frequent rain and oppressive heat

i don't think they'll eve be attendance leaders, but will move towards the middle of the pack with a new stadium and ownership continuing to show a commitment to the market and winning

TV ratings are pretty solid - they need to move some away from the tube and into the stadium

Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM

196 posts, read 283,695 times
^^^ what Finger Laker said

if you work/live in Miami (and outlying suburbs) to get to the stadium for a 7pm game is a nightmare. you can't do it in anything under an hour, and once there, you're either awash in sweat or rain. Day games are ridiculously humid and uncomfortable. So once the new stadium is up & running (with a retractable roof), i suspect more people from Miami will attend games.

That being said, in the 5 years i lived in Miami i sure saw ALOT more yankees/red sox caps, shirts etc. than any marlins merchandise.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,319,794 times
The problem in Florida is team support for baseball. Tampa went to the world series and the following year they were still one of the lowest for attendance and the same holds true for the Marlins. This is why they are constantly considering moving the teams to other parts of the state like Jacksonville and Orlando but eventually they might just have to leave the state altogether. Maybe the Carolinas could use some baseball.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM

the marlins aren't going anywhere

i'm confident that TB will work out a stadium as well - stadiums are important when factoring in attendance

Tampa so far this year is pulling about 24,000 per game

last year they pulled 23,000 per game - the year prior 22,000 per game

they are trending in the right direction and there is a big block of teams that pull between 23-30k. With a better stadium in an improved location I think the rays could add on another 2-4k per game making them an average attendance team

Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
the marlins aren't going anywhere

i'm confident that TB will work out a stadium as well - stadiums are important when factoring in attendance

Tampa so far this year is pulling about 24,000 per game

last year they pulled 23,000 per game - the year prior 22,000 per game

they are trending in the right direction and there is a big block of teams that pull between 23-30k. With a better stadium in an improved location I think the rays could add on another 2-4k per game making them an average attendance team
I hope you're right. Nothing I hate more than a failing franchise that has to move. I'd much rather see expansion with additional teams added in new markets.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM

I know I'm right on the marlins

TB is a bit more tentative - however, most indications show that MLB is committed to helping them make something work - it may take a while (it took forever in miami) but MLB is very good at working these deals

Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I know I'm right on the marlins

TB is a bit more tentative - however, most indications show that MLB is committed to helping them make something work - it may take a while (it took forever in miami) but MLB is very good at working these deals
My cousins live just north of TB stadium and my father about an 1.5 hours north. All of them think it wont get much better. Unfortunately they might be right,hope not.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,013,122 times
F.L., I have never been to the area the Marlins play, but is the stadium really that bad/inaccessible? I just have a hard time envisioning a park that is so bad it keeps fans away in mass #s. Wrigley Field for example, is a complete PITA to get to (unless you live in wrigleyville) and from but people still show up...I'm just curious what is so bad that it keeps people away in such #s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball