Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Fans voting for this over-rated farce must be having a good chuckle while they cast their votes. Guy is hitting barely over .200 and among AL 1st basemen is...
11th in AVG
5th in runs
9th in OBP
10th in SLG
7th in Hits

Probably sucks in WAG, SWAG, WAR, NOR, DOOR & those other goofy stats too, but I'm too lazy to look those up.

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times
I never had a problem with this kind of thing... UNTIL they decided that the game should count for anything. Now we're getting a game that decides home field advantage, and the players are chosen via a popularity contest.

It's just one of the many ways this whole thing is incredibly flawed now.

But I say DO NOT take the voting away from the fans. It's one of the few times baseball actually listens to them. Return the game to what it was meant to be... An exhibition.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I never had a problem with this kind of thing... UNTIL they decided that the game should count for anything. Now we're getting a game that decides home field advantage, and the players are chosen via a popularity contest.

It's just one of the many ways this whole thing is incredibly flawed now.

But I say DO NOT take the voting away from the fans. It's one of the few times baseball actually listens to them. Return the game to what it was meant to be... An exhibition.
Agreed on all counts

Old 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Probably sucks in WAG, SWAG, WAR, NOR, DOOR & those other goofy stats too, but I'm too lazy to look those up.

What am I missing?
I only know about WAR, and he sucks at that .2 compared to 5.6 last year.

His BABIP is way down .234 compared to .300 career
He's walking more and striking out a bit more, which is a bit weird because his swing rates are right at his career averages and he's making a bit better contact than usual (92% compared to 88% career).
His GB/FB/LD rates are right where they always are.
His ISO (isolated power) is way down. .162 compared to .250 career.
His home runs per fly ball is down from 18% to 10%

So, the BABIP is hurting. If his BABIP were 'normal' (.300) he'd be hitting
.267/.377/.429 if all those extra hits were singles
His career line is .287/.376/.537
So the batting average and OBP would be right in line. The question is, where is the power?

My answer, probably just some bad luck and he'll probably hit home runs at a rate of about 18 per 100 flyballs for the rest of the season.

EDIT:
CAREER: APRIL OPS=.753, CAREER OPS=.913
2010: APRIL OPS=.559, MAY OPS=.819

He's working out of it. Still struggling though

Last edited by filihok; 05-28-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Return the game to what it was meant to be... An exhibition.
I do not think the game has to be an exhibition, I can accept a reward aspect to make it competitive. The existing problem is that they are trying to be both simultaneously. The home field reward suggests that it should be competitive, there is something to lose. At the same time the rules are set up so that it is impossible to be truly competitive. Not only do the rosters get selected by a snout count rather than performance, but this is compounded by the rule requiring one represenative from each club, another move away from a meritocracy. If those concepts are not handicap enough, we may add the unwritten rule that the manager should try and use as much of his roster as possible, so that no one feels cheated. Thus, among the criteria in decision making, the needs of showmanship dilute normal sense.

Let it be one or the other, by trying to be both, it is nothing.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Fans voting for this over-rated farce must be having a good chuckle while they cast their votes. Guy is hitting barely over .200 and among AL 1st basemen is...
11th in AVG
5th in runs
9th in OBP
10th in SLG
7th in Hits

What am I missing?
Pleasssse!!!! Do you think he's the only one in this sport or any other sport that gets voted in just based on who he is or what team he plays for? Blame the system! He also has 7 HR's and over 30RBI's; you conveniently forgot those stats which are the most popular, but included OBP,Runs and SLG %. I find that a little suspicious. I think this is just way too transparent as a Yankee hater thread. He usually starts very slow but by the end of the year his number are easily all star worthy including his gold glove defense. I am a Yankee fan but also don't like the system, that's why I don't vote at all. My suggestion next time is to not cherry pick the bad stats and leave out the good and decent ones. It shows your bias. When all the ballots are counted up, we will see who makes it and also who has inferior stats. Until then why don't you just abstain like I do. The all star game (if you haven't noticed) is more for the kids anyway and their favorite players even though the outcome is HFA.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Pleasssse!!!! Do you think he's the only one in this sport or any other sport that gets voted in just based on who he is or what team he plays for? Blame the system! He also has 7 HR's and over 30RBI's; you conveniently forgot those stats which are the most popular, but included OBP,Runs and SLG %. I find that a little suspicious. I think this is just way too transparent as a Yankee hater thread. He usually starts very slow but by the end of the year his number are easily all star worthy including his gold glove defense. I am a Yankee fan but also don't like the system, that's why I don't vote at all. My suggestion next time is to not cherry pick the bad stats and leave out the good and decent ones. It shows your bias. When all the ballots are counted up, we will see who makes it and also who has inferior stats. Until then why don't you just abstain like I do. The all star game (if you haven't noticed) is more for the kids anyway and their favorite players even though the outcome is HFA.
He's the best case for a guy getting in (because of the ballot stuffing) that does not deserve to be there. Because of that going on, a guy like Miguel Cabrera won't make it and he deserves to be there more than Teixeira. I blame the idiots that can't see beyond their home-town bias in what is suppose to be a representation of the best players at their position. Wouldn't necessarily draw the conclusion that I'm a Yankee hater just because I'm calling out one of their players as being over-rated. Yankee fans are suppose to be so knowledgeable about the game (according to yourselves) but that loses a lot of credibility when this stiff gets any votes.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:26 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Being a Yankee or Red Sock is an automatic ticket to being an all star. I could put on pinstripes, a NY hat and sit in the dugout for a game and I'd have a few thousand votes to go to the allstar game.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,100,593 times
I'm a Red Sox fan and I have always wanted all of the Red Sox to skip it and take the three day's off

Last time I looked the Phillies are the top vote getters at nearly every position

Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
He's the best case for a guy getting in (because of the ballot stuffing) that does not deserve to be there. Because of that going on, a guy like Miguel Cabrera won't make it and he deserves to be there more than Teixeira. I blame the idiots that can't see beyond their home-town bias in what is suppose to be a representation of the best players at their position. Wouldn't necessarily draw the conclusion that I'm a Yankee hater just because I'm calling out one of their players as being over-rated. Yankee fans are suppose to be so knowledgeable about the game (according to yourselves) but that loses a lot of credibility when this stiff gets any votes.
If Cabrera's stats are good enough he'll either make it as a backup or add on. I do think you are EXTREMELY biased about my Yankees. Lots of teams including the Phillies, and Red Sox players have the same issues. You also get guys that get in based on their name like Griffey Jr (in the past). Manny made it a few years ago when he was injured and hadn't played a game. So don't make this about knowledge and honesty. Every team does it. Don't blame us if we have more fans than your team. Remember, Vazquez made it as a Yankee around 2004 and bombed the rest of the season. The voting is too heavily weighted towards fan votes. It should be partial fan(25%)/partial player votes(75%). Like I said before, don't put us down if our fans do what your fans do. We aren't losing any credibility. You're just upset by the vote and your underachieving team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball