U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,319,702 times

Advertisements

Not a big fan of them, but I like to see them do well...
The attendance the last few years has followed almost the exact same pattern the Expos attendance did, in the late 80's to mid 90's...we all know what eventually happened to the Expos, fair attendance numbers (still below average though), became poor attendance numbers and they left (even though I think MLB really put the screws to the team and the city of Montreal).
Only 11k tonite for a team that is 8 games over 500%. Are they next in line to leave?
Maybe the fans up there can smell a stinker when they see it and to have to spend like a drunken sailor just to compete since 2 of your teams in your division do is just BS (Tampa Bay is a fluke and even if they are good for 2 or 3 years, eventually they'll stink again, since they won't be able to afford their players, who could go to, guess who, NY or Boston).
I wonder if the Jays and Tigers could switch divisions, Detroit has a long history (unlike Toronto) and would be more likely to put up with a losing team than Toronto would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,797,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
(Tampa Bay is a fluke and even if they are good for 2 or 3 years, eventually they'll stink again, since they won't be able to afford their players, who could go to, guess who, NY or Boston).
TB is NOT a fluke. They are an extremely well run organization with loads of talent coming up through the system. They're going to be good for a long time. That the Rays can compete with the Yankees and Red Sox should show everyone that the Rays and O's can compete with them too.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Quote:
I wonder if the Jays and Tigers could switch divisions, Detroit has a long history (unlike Toronto) and would be more likely to put up with a losing team than Toronto would.
This post demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge about Detroit and its fan base.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This post demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge about Detroit and its fan base.
Not really. The Tigers could draw Blue Jay like numbers or even worse, but that would be treason to move them out of Detroit and it would never happen. Detroit's known for supporting teams even when they suck. Except for the Maple Leafs, Toronto's not the same way.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,186,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
TB is NOT a fluke. They are an extremely well run organization with loads of talent coming up through the system. They're going to be good for a long time. That the Rays can compete with the Yankees and Red Sox should show everyone that the Rays and O's can compete with them too.
Tampa is run like the Minnesota franchise but with less spending. I'm actually very proud of what they do even though i'm a Yankee fan. The Orioles unfortunately do not have the same game plan and suffer because of it. I guess if you realize that you are going nowhere, then it might be time to build up your system, especially the pitching.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Not really. The Tigers could draw Blue Jay like numbers or even worse, but that would be treason to move them out of Detroit and it would never happen. Detroit's known for supporting teams even when they suck. Except for the Maple Leafs, Toronto's not the same way.
I disagree. The Lions have a huge fan base but fans have really bailed out over the years considering their losing ways. Toronto could really use a change of division. If they stayed in the AL, and were moved to the central or the west; I believe they could really contend for the division.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Agreed, I would think MLB in Toronto would survive for sure, if they moved to the AL Central and Detroit or Cleveland would move to the AL East.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Agreed, I would think MLB in Toronto would survive for sure, if they moved to the AL Central and Detroit or Cleveland would move to the AL East.
Why not they both used to be there in the east anyway.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I disagree. The Lions have a huge fan base but fans have really bailed out over the years considering their losing ways. Toronto could really use a change of division. If they stayed in the AL, and were moved to the central or the west; I believe they could really contend for the division.
The division point is pretty moot in my opinion. Every team in the east has to face the fact that the Yankees are there. They can't just move all of the teams out of the AL East and leave the Yankees alone in order to give everyone else a shot at a pennant somewhere else.

Whether a team can contend or not should be a factor in whether or not it remains a viable franchise in the city in which it is based.

Not every team can win, and the pro sports business is not predicated on the fact that everybody gets their turn at being the champion.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 AM

If it was just the Yankees, that's one thing, however, when you have a team that throws out money almost like the Yankees (or #2 out of 30 teams in spending $ on players) in your same division, the Red Sox, that's something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or